Fabian Schär

• 1 month later...

He'll be gone by this time next year, enjoy him playing for us while it lasts.

Makes me wonder why we don't just buy more 'goal-scoring' players, like Keegan's 90s team. Everyone in the team could score from the back 4 through to the strikers. I remember quite a few games where only Peacock and Albert would score for some 1-0s or 2-0s.

Second highest number of interceptions in the league thus far, yet not a good defender according to some on here  :)

Nobody contends that isn't his standout defensive attribute.

Yes, but I don’t think he’s particularly weak in other areas too - I feel his overall defensive game is pretty underrated, which is understandable given how good he is offensively.

He wouldn't play for Newcastle United if he was as good defensively as many make out, bearing in mind how good he is on the ball and bringing the ball out from the back. His positioning is his main weakness, but in Rafa's system and in particular in a three that doesn't really matter that much when defensively you have a back 5 more so more often than not there is cover there. It's no coincide that pretty much all centre backs that have had a long run in the side under Rafa have looked excellent - the system.

I think he's great, and a properly functioning club would be looking to offer him a new deal now as he's only got another season after this one. But some of the things you read, putting him up there with Van Dijk etc. (particularly on Twitter) is just embarrassing.

Second highest number of interceptions in the league thus far, yet not a good defender according to some on here  :)

Nobody contends that isn't his standout defensive attribute.

Yes, but I don’t think he’s particularly weak in other areas too - I feel his overall defensive game is pretty underrated, which is understandable given how good he is offensively.

Agree, he’s not Maldini but think his defensive work is under rated because of what he can do on the ball.

He wouldn't play for Newcastle United if he was as good defensively as many make out, bearing in mind how good he is on the ball and bringing the ball out from the back. His positioning is his main weakness, but in Rafa's system and in particular in a three that doesn't really matter that much when defensively you have a back 5 more so more often than not there is cover there. It's no coincide that pretty much all centre backs that have had a long run in the side under Rafa have looked excellent - the system.

I think he's great, and a properly functioning club would be looking to offer him a new deal now as he's only got another season after this one. But some of the things you read, putting him up there with Van Dijk etc. (particularly on Twitter) is just embarrassing.

Again, I'm not saying he's exceptional defensively, but a few of you were saying he was poor defensively a week ago and I just don't think that's true. He's a more than capable defender in the Premier League.