Worst ever Newcastle midfielder?

Dillon, FFS. The late 80's/early 90's Alan Smith. :???: :D

There was one bloke who I ended up standing near in the Gallowgate Corner most home games. Constantly yelled "Dillon, get off!!!", pretty much every time he touched the ball. Was moderately amusing the first time I heard it, but by about March, the novelty had worn off like  :lol:

That was my mate Neil, had a laugh like Basil Brush, hated Kevin Dillon with a passion.

You could tell, swear Dillon heard him one time when he yelled as he was taking a corner

'kinell, can't believe someone else remembers this 30 years on  :lol:

There was someone similar in the a paddock, hated Dillon with a passion. Completely forgot he was the corner taker :lol:

He also hated Stimson as well, gave him dogs abuse whenever he was taking a throw in.

I seem to remember Ranson improving?? Or is that just my bad memory?

I thought Ranson was okay. It was clear that he'd played at a higher level. Stimson looked poor from the start.

Realistically, those two long periods in the Second Division round about the 80s did usher in a certain level of crapness beyond what has come before or since. Not only were we poor compared with other clubs, but the general standard of English football wasn't as good as it is now. The influx of foreign talent on and off the field has raised the standard all round.

Back on subject, there's been a lot of mention of Andreas Andersson. I had the impression that there was a half-decent player somewhere in there, but he looked very nervous and couldn't cope with the pressure.

I seem to recall Cordone looking unreal just after he signed and being linked with a transfer to Man U for £20m :lol:

Got to be Ferreyra or Doumbia for me, a grand total of 29 first team minutes between them man

Alan Smith for me. I hated him as a striker and even more so when he masqueraded as a midfielder. Just a dirty cunt who thought playing football constituted constantly fouling the opposition. He’d also be vying for top spot with that ginger cunt Colback for most hated NUFC player.

Notable mentions for Rivière, De Jong and Joselu on the shit striker front.

Owen . The others mentioned (Riviere, Andersson etc) were just uniformly shite players that never should have been signed in the first place. Owen was an international class striker who used us as a glorified fitness camp and through a combination of weak management and him being a relentless selfish mercenary twat was allowed to royally take the piss out of us the fans and the club. In terms of what he could have offered and what he he actually gave Owen is our worst striker. 

Guest godzilla

Joselu , xisco , Carl Cort.

Nowhere near the worst sriker, was a decent player but injuries killed his career similar to Carrol

Guest firetotheworks

Carl Cort.  He scored 1 in 2 for us in his first season, absolutely nowhere near.

One of those bad for the price at the time players wasn't he? I wouldn't include him, but Vs price tag I sort of get it, but then again...Michael Owen.

I never found out whether that rumour about SBR signing the wrong player was actually true or not.

Kuqi was awful, and Michael Bridges aswell. But for me, it has to be Xisco. The complete package with Xisco was just wrong. Or Luque. Those 2 were just so poor, the likes of Andersson and Guivarch, and fucking Michael Owen escapes judgement.

Did Smith ever play for us as a striker? Hadn’t he been converted to a CM by Fergie way before he joined?

:lol: Christ. I envy your poor memory.

He did score in his first friendly for us as a striker(only goal including friendlies(?)). And fucking hell how shit was he up front after that. Captain fan-fucking-tastic.

Did Smith ever play for us as a striker? Hadn’t he been converted to a CM by Fergie way before he joined?

I can't remember it either :lol:

I remember Allardyce for some reason used him as a right winger to begin with, and then moved him back to CM where he had played during his last appearances for Man Utd.

Smith made his debut as a striker in pre-season, scored a header as well iirc,

I know I mentioned Bridges, but really the likes of Bridges, Smith, Luque, Cort don't deserve to be on the list as it was injuries that did for them. The moniker of worst striker should be reserved for those who simply never had it or just couldn't be arsed, not for those who never really had the opportunity.

I can't remember it either :lol:

I remember Allardyce for some reason used him as a right winger to begin with, and then moved him back to CM where he had played during his last appearances for Man Utd.

Yeah, I think of him as a CM, can't really remember what he did up front.