Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

If the takeover doesn’t happen until the end of next month, that realistically gives us 5.5 weeks to conduct our transfer business. Going to be tight.

Only if we have a manager other than Rafa, no? If he’s still here, then I’d presume he’d have been working on targets, availability etc, to every possible level.

If we sign someone like Luka Modrić...

I’m not going to know how to react.  :lol:

Back in the real world we are being linked with a 34yr old Skrtl and a knackered injury prone McCarthy who hasn't played in about 2yrs. :lol:

In all seriousness, without a takeover we really dont need these types of signings, don't get it?

If we sign someone like Luka Modrić...

I’m not going to know how to react.  :lol:

Back in the real world we are being linked with a 34yr old Skrtl and a knackered injury prone McCarthy who hasn't played in about 2yrs. :lol:

In all seriousness, without a takeover we really dont need these types of signings, don't get it?

That's because those ones are pure bullshit. Mike Ashley isn't buying either of those players, and neither is our Emerati sheik.

Even if the potential new owners are minted, it’s so important to keep the core of players who know what it means to pull on the shirt.

Perez has to stay. I think he has the potential to become better again next season. Some sort of penny seems to have dropped. He’s so much more efficient now with the ball. And way more greedy when he has a sight of goal.

Jury is out on Lascelles but I’d keep him on as he is captain. Schär and Lejeune have to stay also. Total gems. (Hopefully the latter heals up well). But we need new full backs. No room for sentiment. Dummett, Yedlin and Manquillo would struggle to get a place in the squad.

We’re yet to see the best of Almiron but we will.

Midfield is where it’s at for investment. And two top class forwards (Rondon has to be one of them, then someone else to replace Joselu.

But midfield. Let’s just say we’re losing Hayden, Diame and Shelvey. That’s a physical defensive midfielder we need. A playmaker and then a box to box type. I’d keep Ritchie in the squad because he falls into the core players mentioned.

I could care less about overpaid ageing players who are past their best. (Yes Gareth..)

Regardless of new owners we NEED as a minimum, in the following order (assuming Diame and Hayden as a minimum goes):

1. Central midfielder (2 if more than Diame and Hayden leaves)

2. Striker (Rondon)

3. Left wing back

4. Right wing back

If we address these we should be targeting 8th-9th place next season and have a more solid foundation to keep improving.

General disclaimer, as always: Above only relevant as long as Rafa stays. To hell with the club if he doesn't stay.

Even if the potential new owners are minted, it’s so important to keep the core of players who know what it means to pull on the shirt.

Perez has to stay. I think he has the potential to become better again next season. Some sort of penny seems to have dropped. He’s so much more efficient now with the ball. And way more greedy when he has a sight of goal.

Jury is out on Lascelles but I’d keep him on as he is captain. Schär and Lejeune have to stay also. Total gems. (Hopefully the latter heals up well). But we need new full backs. No room for sentiment. Dummett, Yedlin and Manquillo would struggle to get a place in the squad.

We’re yet to see the best of Almiron but we will.

Midfield is where it’s at for investment. And two top class forwards (Rondon has to be one of them, then someone else to replace Joselu.

But midfield. Let’s just say we’re losing Hayden, Diame and Shelvey. That’s a physical defensive midfielder we need. A playmaker and then a box to box type. I’d keep Ritchie in the squad because he falls into the core players mentioned.

I could care less about overpaid ageing players who are past their best. (Yes Gareth..)

While I agree with the first bit to an extent, you’re not going to keep Richard Dunne & Stephen Ireland if Vincent Kompany & Yaya Toure pop along. Both of those players were fan favourites and did well for them before the cavalry arrived.

I think Kompany signed before the oil money rolled in but yes I agree with your point. I think for a transition period though you need players who care for the badge.

Then eventually you get the chance to sign total professionals like David Silva who don’t need any sort of bedding in.

The problem is for every David Silva or Bernardo Silva, there’s Nigel De Jong’s and Robinho’s.

It’s essential to do thorough research on the type of character you’re bringing into a club.

Rafa won’t be like a kid in a sweet shop even if he has bags of cash to spend. Trust is his main thing with players.

No idea who the manager will be, no idea who the owner will be, an effective transfer embargo until then. Oh and it won't be finalised any time soon. You couldn't make it up.  :lol:

Well, actually you could with Ashley.

Alberto Moreno at left wing back please.

I’d have him like. Will probably go to someone like Valencia or Sevillla.

I think playing Wing back would definitely suit him more than being a left back :thup:

Probably someone we could have got if Rafa Benitez future had been sorted.