Yoshinori Mutō (now playing for Vissel Kobe)

Rich

He will be a fan favourite but not particularly prolific in front of goal. Similar to Perez.

Perez gets abused in the ground by all the old cunts who think they know best like.

So he should he's shite and unbelievably lightweight not good enough at all

:lol:

There's some truth in GD's gammon fueled outrage like. Perez definitely needs competition for that #10 spot at least.

The people who rate him in here is mind boggling apart from about half a dozen games based over the Championship and Premier League the last 2 seasons he's been absolutely hopeless. He's one of the most infuriating players we have with his serious lack of strength on the ball. You watch him and at times a 5 year old could push him over and dispossess him

To think he's our only option as a number 10 is terrifying

There's some truth in GD's gammon fueled outrage like. Perez definitely needs competition for that #10 spot at least.

The people who rate him in here is mind boggling apart from about half a dozen games based over the Championship and Premier League the last 2 seasons he's been absolutely hopeless. He's one of the most infuriating players we have with his serious lack of strength on the ball. You watch him and at times a 5 year old could push him over and dispossess him

Hey geordiedean. Here you are. We were looking all over for you during the purple patch our team was having, when Perez was scoring goals for fun, working his ass off, and the whole forum was on a high.

Good to know you only come around to spout absolute shite.

I am way happier about this deal than if we were giving Liverpool 20M for Danny Ings.

:thup: me too. Ignoring the extreme ends of the name calling 'debate' over Ayoze, also really pleased to have an option, if indeed Muto is an option to cover that role. Ayoze has yet to put in a convincing full season, or anything like it. Some good patches and great touches, but we need more, especially playing the Rafa Way.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I agree with Geordiedean.

I would maybe get the Perez criticism a year or two ago, but to criticise him now when he's clearly developed quite a bit seems unfair to me. Even in pre-season I think he's shown strong signs that he's continuing to really grow into that number 10 role, he looks a threat always imo, makes good, positive runs with the ball, decision making is getting better and his movement is fantastic. That coupled with his well-documented traits of hassling midfielders and defenders to win the ball back up high, and his very good finishing and I think you get a rather good player.

I would maybe get the Perez criticism a year or two ago, but to criticise him now when he's clearly developed quite a bit seems unfair to me. Even in pre-season I think he's shown strong signs that he's continuing to really grow into that number 10 role, he looks a threat always imo, makes good, positive runs with the ball, decision making is getting better and his movement is fantastic. That coupled with his well-documented traits of hassling midfielders and defenders to win the ball back up high, and his very good finishing and I think you get a rather good player.

He’s spent the season playing alongside some of the worst strikers we’ve ever had. Can’t blame him for that. I find him extremely frustrating but he is vital to us unless we’re gonna change our stance and spend £40m on a quality number 10.

Guest firetotheworks

He gets criticism because more often than not he's where our often limited possession ends and that's including in matches where he scores/plays well. If he improves on that he'll be a good all round player, but at the moment that's a big area of weakness for him. He definitely needs someone to challenge him for that position so that they improve the team or push Perez to. Without his purple patch at the end of last season I'd have him down as our worst regular starter tbh.

He gets criticism because more often than not he's where our often limited possession ends and that's including in matches where he scores/plays well. If he improves on that he'll be a good all round player, but at the moment that's a big area of weakness for him. He definitely needs someone to challenge him for that position so that they improve the team or push Perez to. Without his purple patch at the end of last season I'd have him down as our worst regular starter tbh.

I'd argue that is as much a reflection of Gayle & Joselu being quite terrible as it is of Perez's ability. I'd agree one of the weaker parts to his game is his decision making, IE. releasing the ball at the right time before running into trouble, but there's only so much of that he can improve without options around him to play 1-2's and such with. Hopefully with Kenedy & Muto up there with him he might have more options in the final third, as even when paired Mitrovic who had decent link up play and made himself available he looked much better, I thought. Gayle especially hides away so much.

I'd argue that is as much a reflection of Gayle & Joselu being quite terrible as it is of Perez's ability. I'd agree one of the weaker parts to his game is his decision making, IE. releasing the ball at the right time before running into trouble, but there's only so much of that he can improve without options around him to play 1-2's and such with. Hopefully with Kenedy & Muto up there with him he might have more options in the final third, as even when paired Mitrovic who had decent link up play he looked much better, I thought.

Don't agree with this. For all of his poor finishing last season, Gayle was making some really intelligent runs that were giving him a lot of chances to score. Despite his purple patch of scoring, Perez was frustratingly wasteful of possession in a lot of games.

Gayle had some good games, yes, but he went missing so much man. There was some games last season where I'm not even sure he touched the ball over like 70 minutes. It's no wonder Perez was running into dead ends at times.

I'm not saying it's only the fault of the strikers, but I was making the point that's it's more of a shared responsibility situation than purely a fault of Perez.

If we are expecting players like Perez and Mutu to light up the Premier league, I think we are being slightly delusional. You get what you pay for at the end of the day, and we haven't spent much on either of them when you look at today's market. Until we actually spend some proper money on strikers, Perez is still probably our best forward, although I haven't seen Mutu yet, maybe he'll turn out to be a lot better than the £9m fee would suggest.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't agree with any of the excuses for Perez losing possession. If it was a case of him not having an option for a pass you'd be able to see that and you'd maybe see other players having the same problem too, but you don't, he regularly ignores an option in order to run with the ball and then loses it, or he does the running bit then gets caught on the ball, or overplays it. It's easily his biggest weakness and hopefully he works on it because we'll be a much better team for it.

I don't agree with any of the excuses for Perez losing possession. If it was a case of him not having an option for a pass you'd be able to see that and you'd maybe see other players having the same problem too, but you don't, he regularly ignores an option in order to run with the ball and then loses it, or he does the running bit then gets caught on the ball, or overplays it. It's easily his biggest weakness and hopefully he works on it because we'll be a much better team for it.

Maybe Peres gives them that option.

I don't think it's pure coincidence that Ayoze was having a great 2nd half when playing alongside Kenedy.

We need covers anyway.  The Muto deal is a great deal by all accounts.

If we are expecting players like Perez and Mutu to light up the Premier league, I think we are being slightly delusional. You get what you pay for at the end of the day, and we haven't spent much on either of them when you look at today's market. Until we actually spend some proper money on strikers, Perez is still probably our best forward, although I haven't seen Mutu yet, maybe he'll turn out to be a lot better than the £9m fee would suggest.

Bro, his name is Muto :lol:

Can I ask did you expect Kenedy to perform like he did for us last season? How about Diame once moved to midifield?

You absolutely do not always get what you pay for.

How do Palace feel about Benteke right now?

How do Leicester feel having £25m Iheanacho on the bench every week? How about £15m Musa never starting games? And then being shipped out on loan?

There are absolutely no guarantees based on the fee. You can end up spending vast amounts on a player that osn't that good, or you may actually have a good player, but with a manager who has no clue.

I firmly believe that with Rafa in charge anyone he brings in will perform at their very best and will do very well for us.

I don't even think I'm being optimistic. More realistic :lol:

I just know what we have in Rafa. I think he was more prepared for Mike's foolishness this summer, and so would have had a far more exhaustive list this time around, of players of all price levels that he felt he could get something out of.

In contrast, I think he was caught a little off guard by Mike's behaviour last year, and it really left us scrambling, hence us getting someone like Joselu at the very end of the window.

Even with Joselu, I would not be surprised in the least if even he improves a fair bit, having had a full pre-season with the manager this time around. He did come in very late last summer, and a lot was asked of him right away.

I believe in Rafa man. Think the guy is phenomenal.