Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He doing great. He was understandably a little reserved in the first game or two, but now he's hitting so many confident forward passes. He also repeatedly wins the ball back high up the pitch. He's playing like he's been in the first team for years, not ten games.

Just a little theory, but I reckon our season turned when Shelvey went off injured in that Watford home game. Ki came on and started playing 10 yards further forward than Shelvey had been. Unlike Shelvey, this allowed Ki to hit shorter passes to feet. Since then, we've been playing much better football, even when Ki went off to the Asian Cup. Lejeune has also come back and we now have Lejeune and Schar serving as deep-lying distributors, the main responsibility that had fallen on Shelvey. This means the role of our center mids has changed and it is now one that Longstaff and Hayden have taken to with relish. Given the holistic approach Rafa takes, I think it is fair to assume that our midfield is now getting to do what Rafa wanted it to do all along. The plan was never to have a midfielder take it off Cieran Clark or Lascelles and ping it somewhere with no-one to collect a second ball or offer an option to a lone forward with the ball.

Nice theory, makes sense to me! Think this kid is an absolute gem, was so pleased for his goal yesterday.

Stottie, what a terrific post man.

There’s just something extra satisfying about the way this kid carries himself on the pitch. He’s so calm and his presence is massive. That finish was something you see a 20 goal striker would be proud of, settled down and lashed ruthlessly into the net. Reminded me of a Diego Costa goal from a few years ago.

Stottie, what a terrific post man.

There’s just something extra satisfying about the way this kid carries himself on the pitch. He’s so calm and his presence is massive. That finish was something you see a 20 goal striker would be proud of, settled down and lashed ruthlessly into the net. Reminded me of a Diego Costa goal from a few years ago.

Agree with this. He looked almost frantic with excitement when he sensed the opportunity, but once he was in position it was a very composed finish. Seen a good few bright lights burn and fade but he just keeps defying that expectation. Getting better with each game.

Together with Hayden and our back three, we now have a real beast of a defence. I've just done the math - in the last 450 minutes of Premiership football, we've conceded only three goals (against Man City, Spurs and Wolves). One goal every two and a half hours. Outside the top six, we have nothing to fear with that behind us.

He's also boosted the attack with his passing. He doesn't need a steadying touch on the ball to pass accurately and that makes a big difference.

This lad's emergence really shows how much luck is involved in making it at the highest level in football. There's loads of great players out there that just need a chance

Yup. If it weren't for injuries he would never have gotten a chance here either. Too much money at stake for managers to dare giving untested players a chance. In his Burnley post match interview Rafa said as much, although alluded that he would eventually have gotten a chance anyway but it was progressed faster due to injuries but I'm not so confident that this is the truth as it would have depended on how we were doing. No way he would have got a chance if relegation was still a possibility.

Very odd comment on his Wiki page  :lol:

Longstaff's younger brother Matthew is also a footballer currently playing for Newcastle United. Their father David is a former Great Britain ice hockey player, featuring over 100 times for the national side, and is still active as player/coach for the Whitley Warriors.[8] Their father is also the cousin of former England international Alan Thompson. Longstaff's mother also participates in sports such as Netball where she strangled a 15 year old with a bib.

This lad's emergence really shows how much luck is involved in making it at the highest level in football. There's loads of great players out there that just need a chance

Yup. If it weren't for injuries he would never have gotten a chance here either. Too much money at stake for managers to dare giving untested players a chance. In his Burnley post match interview Rafa said as much, although alluded that he would eventually have gotten a chance anyway but it was progressed faster due to injuries but I'm not so confident that this is the truth as it would have depended on how we were doing. No way he would have got a chance if relegation was still a possibility.

Wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad but for injuries

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn’t really think of Carrick until the comparison appeared in the media TBH. His style doesn’t really remind me of Carrick that much.

Reminds me more of a young Andy Cole!

I have been very impressed with Sean Longstaff, I have the feeling he could be the next Rob Lee

Did anyone get spot this classic reference or am I the only one who remembers HTT posts from what must be nearly 15 years ago :lol: