Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

463 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Poch will be waiting for something much better than us.

He's already a top manager.

I think Poch would very much consider us if we had Saudi backing. What he wants is a club that is aiming high, and I can't believe we won't be looking to win stuff if they are our backers.

Can't get my head around the same people calling Bruce a dinosaur and yet simultaneously hankering for Keegan coming back.

Completely different and its pretty obvious. Dinosaur isn't a reference to age necessarily, but more their characteristics as a coach.

Not that I'm on the Keegan bandwagon, but he's the polar opposite of Bruce in so many ways.

I know it doesn't make sense logically, but I would still believe that Keegan would be able to get a good team firing just through sheer personality. He's not going to win anything, I agree, but I still think he could build a side that is great to watch. I'd fucking watch them.

The difference between 2008 and now is that the players even at that stage would have known who he was. Young players now wouldn’t have that awe factor from the start.

The only thing they seem to buy into now is a resume of winning trophies.

I read something recently about a player (might have been at Spurs) who was telling one of the younger squad members about a former club legend, the player hadn’t a clue who he was talking about and had to look them up on YouTube.

That’s what you’re up against with these young uns

Please let this fakeover be false and it actually becomes a takeover in this upside down world so I can return to the beloved St James' Park. I would prefer Rafa as Manager, HBA as Creative Director, and KK or Shearer as Motivation coach.

The difference between 2008 and now is that the players even at that stage would have known who he was. Young players now wouldn’t have that awe factor from the start.

The only thing they seem to buy into now is a resume of winning trophies.

I read something recently about a player (might have been at Spurs) who was telling one of the younger squad members about a former club legend, the player hadn’t a clue who he was talking about and had to look them up on YouTube.

That’s what you’re up against with these young uns

You are probably right, maybe it's just my 90's tinted specs, but I just think Keegan would light up a dressing room regardless of whether a younger player knew who he was.

But I do get it, this is probably more sentiment talking here rather than cold hard reality.

Paperbacks take on this latest 'takeover'...

Newcastle United sources insist that the emphasis is still on the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and Amanda Staveley to make the deal happen.

Reports of the Middle East group taking the Magpies off Mike Ashley's hands have re-emerged this week but after being contacted by the Chronicle, Newcastle have maintained their "no comment" status.

The club are believed to have complied with the Premier League as far as paperwork is concerned but club sources insist that a deal has still not been agreed with Ashley.

The Toon owner is believed to be in the United States despite a troubled week last week as Sports Direct hit the headlines for the wrong reasons after an attempt to stay open amid the coronavirus pandemic.

We understand that dialogue with the PIF has been ongoing with Newcastle but while talk of paperwork being submitted to the Premier League is accurate, a concrete offer for United is yet to arrive.

However, Ashley's stance on the situation has not changed for some time and he is open to offers to sell.

Staveley has been interested in fronting the bid for Newcastle for three years and while fresh reports have generated some new hope for fans, the current regime feel they have been in this position before.

Those in the corridors of power at St James' Park have indicated to us that a deal to become the new owner is a simple process as the legal route is already set up through Dentons law firm and Ashley's company St James' Holdings.

And the feeling is from the current incumbent at United is that the ball is firmly in the court of the bidders to now make the deal happen.

If the right price is agreed they feel a deal can be done swiftly providing they are satisfied the funds are in place.

So theres 'No comment' from the club, but Paperbacks 'NUFC sources' tell him its now up to the bidders to make Ashley an offer... basically we are now right back to the same position of the most recent 'takeovers'.

Rinse, and repeat.

What exactly are they submitting to the Premier League? It was my understanding that this was a late stage thing for the fit and proper persons check etc and that the deal itself was all but done? How can they be submitting things to the Prem before even agreeing anything?

Personally think this whole  “Keegan wasn’t very good tactically” stuff is over used . Just looks the way Albert would bring the ball out in to midfield at a time when it wasn’t really done same with full backs getting forward. Or in his second managerial stint with the 4-3-3, at a time when 4-4-2 was common. Full backs creating width, Michael Owen playing in a kind of false 9 position. I mean clearly there are better, younger, more progressive managers around but he’s another level to Bruce. Still the best English manager imo.

Guest reefatoon

Can't get my head around the same people calling Bruce a dinosaur and yet simultaneously hankering for Keegan coming back.

Completely different and its pretty obvious. Dinosaur isn't a reference to age necessarily, but more their characteristics as a coach.

Not that I'm on the Keegan bandwagon, but he's the polar opposite of Bruce in so many ways.

I know it doesn't make sense logically, but I would still believe that Keegan would be able to get a good team firing just through sheer personality. He's not going to win anything, I agree, but I still think he could build a side that is great to watch. I'd fucking watch them.

I think where Keegan would be a huge asset now is being involved in signing players/talking to potential signings. He could always sell the dream to players.

If you think Keegan, with his years off before us and ten year off after us, will be a more modern and progressive coach than Bruce then I don't even know what to say to you. You simply can't be that dumb.

You have clearly read my posts incorrectly. I never said the bit in bold and even pointed out that I wasn't in support of the idea of bringing him back.

The fact that you consider to be Bruce to be progressive in any way is quite interesting however - out of interest what is it that makes you think this? Genuinely interested.

The Athletic are probably under pressure to write content at the moment given there is little sport going on and folk are paying a subscription for it. Could be a bit of that.

Sadly, that is my viewpoint too.

Disappointed in Caulkin if that's the case but I guess he maybe had little choice if under pressure to proceed something.

I was thinking this also-

What exactly are they submitting to the Premier League? It was my understanding that this was a late stage thing for the fit and proper persons check etc and that the deal itself was all but done? How can they be submitting things to the Prem before even agreeing anything?

Yeah this gets me too. Are they submitting something saying "we're talking, we may not reach an agreement, but it won't be Ashley's fault as usual..." or what?  :lol: