Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Just use cameras with AI tracking them, not revolutionary stuff nowadays to do.  Amazon has a shop that will let you walk out with groceries and will bill you for them.

You're talking about complete edge cases, how often is an offside called or missed because of a knee?  The alternative is stopping the game for a couple of minutes, I like this way better.

I thought the whole technology debate was to ensure that decisions were all made to ensure 100% accuracy anyway. I'd be absolutely furious if we had a goal disallowed because a piece of technology like an electronic chip wrongly thought it was offside when it should have been onside. Much more furious than if a linesman made a human error in giving it offside.

The alternate could just be to leave things as it is without VAR, which would be my preference

You're talking about complete edge cases, how often is an offside called or missed because of a knee?  The alternative is stopping the game for a couple of minutes, I like this way better.

I thought the whole technology debate was to ensure that decisions were all made to ensure 100% accuracy anyway. I'd be absolutely furious if we had a goal disallowed because a piece of technology like an electronic chip wrongly thought it was offside when it should have been onside. Much more furious than if a linesman made a human error in giving it offside.

The alternate could just be to leave things as it is without VAR, which would be my preference

If the trade-off for 100% accuracy is stopping and starting the game like this then i'd rather not have it at all.  The system I described could improve decision making without harming the flow of the game.  Yeah, it probably wouldn't be 100% accurate but for me it's better than the current system and doesn't result in long delays and a stop-start game.

As long as there is a human element into the decision making, you can never achieve 100% accuracy.

Goal line technology works, because it's a simple case of yes or no. It requires zero input from the officials.

In the current guise of VAR, it's just an added layer of human officiating. How it's currently being used seems wasteful and misguided, but I really can't see how it can be used in a way that strikes the balance between significantly enhancing officiating standards whilst not changing the fundamental sporting identity of football.

I've not actually heard any one in the media make the point that football is fundamentally a different sport to what Rugby, Tennis, Cricket are. Not in so much as the spectacle, and what the fans demand from an entertainment point of view; but actually the laws that facilitate the flow of the game, and existing officiating practices don't allow technology to flawlessly slot into place.

Just seems we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with this aspect of technology, and really just throwing good money after bad. We've already got goal line technology, proven to work flawlessly. Surely better use of finance from governing bodies would be to make this a more widespread across different levels of the sport.

How would the ref rule it out for offside?

How do they rule things out for offside now? :lol:

aguero-offside-main.jpg

Will never forget this :lol:

I'm sure one of the pundits said it was poor defending while acknowledging that he was miles offside :lol:

Louise Taylor.

City’s breakthrough came from a free kick awarded for Townsend’s foul on Kolarov. The left back delivered an incisive dead ball but Newcastle could surely have done better than permit Agüero a free header. Barely believing his luck, the striker – who was a yard or two offside – duly registered his 100th Premier League goal for City and the 22nd of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Video assistant referees will be used at the World Cup for the first time after Fifa formally approved the technology for this year's tournament.

VAR has been trialled in some domestic English cup games this season, and has been used in Germany and Italy.

"We need to live with the times," said Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

"We wanted to give the referees tools so they can make better decisions, and in the World Cup some very important decisions are made."

He added: "It's not possible that in 2018 everyone in their living room knows a few seconds after the play whether a referee has made a mistake and the referee doesn't."

VAR was first used at the Club World Cup in December 2016, and trialled in the 2017 Confederations Cup.

The system was described as "comical" and "embarrassing" after Tottenham's 6-1 FA Cup win over Rochdale in late February, when a goal was disallowed and a converted penalty overturned.

The Premier League is not expected to introduce VAR next season, and Uefa has already said it will not be used in the 2018-19 Champions League.

Spain's La Liga and France's Ligue 1 are to introduce it from next season, while the Bundesliga will decide on 22 March.

"I was sceptical at first, but without trying you cannot know what it's worth," Infantino added.

"Without VAR, a referee can make one important mistake every three matches. With VAR, the figures we have seen from the trials that have been held show that a big mistake is made once every 19 matches."

The world governing body's formal announcement comes after the International Football Association Board (Ifab) "unanimously approved" the introduction of VAR on a permanent basis earlier this month.

Ifab is made up of Fifa and the Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Each FA has one vote to Fifa's four, with six votes required for a change in the laws.

The body made the decision to approve the technology following the results of independent analysis conducted by Belgian university KU Leuven.

Not a big fan of VAR in general but I think the World Cup is so big and means so much and is also only once every four years that getting the correct decisions is essential if possible. I guess the issue is that it often seems to make the wrong decision anyway [emoji38]

Not a big fan of VAR in general but I think the World Cup is so big and means so much and is also only once every four years that getting the correct decisions is essential if possible. I guess the issue is that it often seems to make the wrong decision anyway [emoji38]

I think the opposite, it's too much of a mess in its current form to use on such a big occasion. It'll be a proper farce.

It's obviously not ready and has turned cup games into a joke this season. Fans and players not knowing what's going on, refs using it for all sorts of decisions it wasn't designed for, ridiculously long stoppages. I bet there are plenty in the game who are already looking at how it can be used to bring in advertising like in American sports. Mental to be trialing this at a World Cup.

It's obviously not ready and has turned cup games into a joke this season. Fans and players not knowing what's going on, refs using it for all sorts of decisions it wasn't designed for, ridiculously long stoppages. I bet there are plenty in the game who are already looking at how it can be used to bring in advertising like in American sports. Mental to be trialing this at a World Cup.

It's worked quite efficiently on Germany apparently

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully by then the football world will start to realise that it’s just not for football. For sports that are slow paced or allow you to go back and watch things ok, football isn’t that sport, in fact football is probably the only sport that isn’t suitable for it.

if VAR comes in, it needs to be requested by the managers instead of the ref.

dont need refs bottling decisions. the ref needs to do his job properly and not decide "oh, i can always VAR that incident".

each manager should get 3 VAR's  game - max 2 per half.

if VAR comes in, it needs to be requested by the managers instead of the ref.

dont need refs bottling decisions. the ref needs to do his job properly and not decide "oh, i can always VAR that incident".

each manager should get 3 VAR's  game - max 2 per half.

So the potential of 6 stoppages in a game? Each lasting up to 5 minutes? Fuck that.

Plus, managers would use their VAR appeals tactically. If they are holding onto a 1-0 lead with minutes remaining and getting battered, they’d just VAR any decision to break up the play.

Just don’t implement it at all. Stifler is spot on with what he said.

If you did it properly and had a couple of VAR refs reviewing incidents as they happen, it'd work as the ref would get the decision from the video refs almost immediately. As it is right now it does not work at all because the ref himself reviews things.

If you did it properly and had a couple of VAR refs reviewing incidents as they happen, it'd work as the ref would get the decision from the video refs almost immediately. As it is right now it does not work at all because the ref himself reviews things.

Aye but i think they really want the on pitch ref to be the one to make all the calls which i can see the logic of in a way but there needs to be a less disruptive way of doing it

Aye but i think they really want the on pitch ref to be the one to make all the calls which i can see the logic of in a way but there needs to be a less disruptive way of doing it

Honestly don't want it if the ref on the pitch has to review things. It'll always slow things down. You need refs that only reviews the footage all the time so a decision can reach the ref as quickly as possible. Should take less than 30 seconds from the second the ref blows his whistle on the pitch.

I think if it was Kaizeros method it would only be to convey strictly factual stuff, like ref could ask 'was it in the box' 'were they offside' or on the edge of being dangerously open to interpretation 'was there contact with the other player'