FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

"Today's announcement should send a message that enough is enough," said Kelly Currie, acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York. "After decades of what the indictment alleges to be brazen corruption, organized international soccer needs a new start.

"Let me be clear: This indictment is not the final chapter in our investigation."

:sweetjesus:

:anguish:

How can they still call it soccer, they are investigating the Fédération Internationale de Football Association FFS :lol:

Unless it's called FISA now  :undecided:

It's annoying like, and also make zero sense.

This is called "Football":

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/090926-Saint-Olaf-vs-Augsburg-American-Football.jpg/1280px-090926-Saint-Olaf-vs-Augsburg-American-Football.jpg

Whereas this is called Soccer:

http://static.ibnlive.in.com/ibnlive/pix/sitepix/01_2015/messi-getty0601-630.jpg

Damn Yanks :lol:

:lol: You salty ungrateful rat motherfuckers.

:lol: :lol: Ya know I love ya really Mike :rose: Seriously though, how does that make sense.

Makes perfect sense- playing football with your hand in a cricket helmet, using a Rugby ball

Football was originally called soccer in Britain, after "Assoc" in "Association Football". Then, to differ between names, eventually the word "Football" took over. When "Soccer" was introduced in America, the sport was still called soccer, as well as the Americans already having their own football.

Tbf to Mike he comes from a world where trading away your future for average players is the norm, so it's understandable he's a bit confused.

:bluestar:

:lol: Mole has one arrow in his quiver, man. f*** outta here.

No point having more than one if that one is so damn effective  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Who gives a fuck if it's an English word? Americans used to BE English and we still think they're daft, the entomology of a word isn't going to change anything.

I cannot wait for this process to last the course of 2-3 years, take down a few minions in minor roles, and produce no real change to anything.

Don't think that will happen. Think some of the big guys are going down, hopefully Marin is one of them. Wonder what happens with the others. Owner of Traffic Sports has already pleaded guilty and forfeited $25m dollars, he will forfeit another $126m. So there is definitely been wrong doing up top and many will be charged.

G. 2010 FIFA World Cup Vote Scheme

185. In or about 2004, the FIFA executive committee

considered bids from Morocco, South Africa and Egypt, as well as

other nations that withdrew before the vote, to host the 2010

World Cup.

186. Previously, the defendant JACK WARNER and his

family had cultivated ties with South African soccer officials

in connection with and subsequent to a failed bid by South

Africa to host the 2006 World Cup. In the early 2000s, CoConspirator

#14, a member of WARNER's family, had used WARNER's

contacts in South Africa to organize friendly matches for

CONCACAF teams to play in South Africa. At one point, WARNER

also directed Co-Conspirator #14 to fly to Paris, France and

accept a briefcase containing bundles of U.S. currency in

$10,000 stack~ in a hotel room from Co-Conspirator #15, a highranking

South African bid committee official. Hours after

arriving in Paris, Co-Conspirator #14 boarded a return flight

and carried the briefcase back to Trinidad and Tobago, where CoConspirator

#14 provided it to WARNER.

187. In the months before the selection of the host

nation for the 2010 World Cup, which was scheduled to take place

in May 2004, the defendant JACK WARNER and Co-Conspirator #1

traveled to Morocco as they had done in 1992, in advance of the

voting for the 1998 World Cup host. While in Morocco during the

2004 trip, a representative of the Moroccan bid committee

offered to pay $1 million to WARNER in exchange for his

agreement to cast his secret ballot on the FIFA executive

committee for Morocco to host the 2010 World Cup.

188. Subsequently, Co-Conspirator #1 learned from the

defendant JACK WARNER that high-ranking officials of FIFA,

the South African government, and the South African bid committee,

including Co-Conspirator #16, were prepared to arrange for the

government of South Africa to pay $10 million to CFU to "support

the African diaspora.n Co-Conspirator #1 understood the offer

to be in exchange for the agreement of WARNER, Co-Conspirator

#1, and Co-Conspirator #17 to all vote for South Africa, rather

than Morocco, to host the 2010 World Cup. At the time, CoConspirator

#17, like WARNER and Co-Conspirator #1, was a FIFA

executive committee member. WARNER indicated that he had

accepted the offer and told Co-Conspirator #1 that he would give

a $1 million portion of the $10 million payment to CoConspirator

#1.

189. In FIFA's executive committee vote held on May

15, 2004, South Africa was selected over Morocco and Egypt to

host the 2010 World Cup. The defendant JACK WARNER, CoConspirator

#1, and Co-Conspirator #17 indicated that they voted

for South Africa.

190. In the months and years after the vote, CoConspirator

#1 periodically asked WARNER about the status of the

$10 million payment.

191. At one point, Co-Conspirator #1 learned that the

South Africans were unable to arrange for the payment to be made

directly from government funds. Arrangements were thereafter

made with FIFA officials to instead have the $10 million sent

from FIFA - using funds that would otherwise have gone from FIFA

to South Africa to support the World Cup - to CFU.

192. In fact, on January 2, 2008, January 31, 2008 and

March 7, 2008, a high-ranking FIFA official caused payments of

$616,000, $1,600,000, and $7,784,000 - totaling $10 million - to

be wired from a FIFA account in Switzerland to a Bank of America

correspondent account in New York, New York, for credit to

accounts held in the names of CFU and CONCACAF, but controlled

by the defendant JACK WARNER, at Republic Bank in Trinidad and

Tobago.

Or what B-more said. I really should finish reading threads.

Or you read it and then posted the same thing to look intelligent… :p

fwiw I've ran the same arugment multiple times on here for years. :lol:

I cannot wait for this process to last the course of 2-3 years, take down a few minions in minor roles, and produce no real change to anything.

Don't think that will happen. Think some of the big guys are going down, hopefully Marin is one of them. Wonder what happens with the others. Owner of Traffic Sports has already pleaded guilty and forfeited $25m dollars, he will forfeit another $126m. So there is definitely been wrong doing up top and many will be charged.

I agree that a few known people will take charges, but I seriously doubt this investigation achieves anything more than getting a few individuals to fall on their sword. Do you see FIFA being affected or deterred in any way?

I agree that a few known people will take charges, but I seriously doubt this investigation achieves anything more than getting a few individuals to fall on their sword. Do you see FIFA being affected or deterred in any way?

Hopefully, obviously I don't think someone like Blatter will fall, but I do expect it to shake it up a little. Let's hope the FBI, can do something, this is what movies are made out of.

SportsCenter ✔@SportsCenter

THIS JUST IN: UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, may boycott congress.

6:37 PM - 27 May 2015

And here. we. go.

For all you out there who love to complain when Americans, and certain others, call “Football”, “Soccer”, you should know that it was the British that invented the word and it was also one of the first names of what we now primarily know of as “Football”.

In fact, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”.  Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years,  with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

So the snobs call it soccer and the rest of the people call it football then :D

Hopefully, obviously I don't think someone like Blatter will fall, but I do expect it to shake it up a little. Let's hope the FBI, can do something, this is what movies are made out of.

This is not going to just blow over.  DOJ would not be bringing these charges unless it intended on doing some serious damage.  Maybe Blatter will survive, but many of his key minions are looking at serious jail time and that alone should be enough to deter FIFA from pulling similar shit in the future.

It's so incredibly satisfying that they've finally run into something they can't bribe or bully their way out of.  FIFA may be a big fish, but they're nothing compared to the good 'ol US of A.