Newcastle United 1-1 Aston Villa - 24/06 - post match from p17

Disco

After we scored we should have put them away.

Think we lost our shape a bit due to all the subs. At 0-0 the Gayle/Carroll change made total sense, but once we went ahead I think we should have shored up the midfield a bit. Villa got far too much space and we were hanging on for dear life in the last 15 mins.

After the goal should have brought on Bentaleb and regained that shape, good point.

Should have won. They started better but from about 30 minutes to the goal we were on top massively and we squandered good positions. Manquillo and ASM put really good balls on a plate and Joelinton didn't get near either, and dear me, the amount of great chances Almiron has fluffed this season. He's had 2 on a plate since the restart and his shot attempts have been pathetic on both of them.

Ah well.

Guest reefatoon

This is the perfect kind of result really. Gets us closer to safety while still looking woeful. The last thing we want to do is all of a sudden look good and prolong Bruce on us for any longer than needs be.

2 or 3 great passes from shelvey when the ball was placed at his feet.

otherwise i think he was awful.

just no energy or mobility and shocking corners.

He could find Madeleine McCann with his passing but you are right when given the chance to drive forward, sprint back or run beyond the strikers he is just not bothered.

He also has a terrible attitude in terms of leadership. Hes never talking or organising unless it's over a free kick.

In an odd way I’d sort of forgotten how bad we were until the Villa game yesterday. I think with the lockdown break, the takeover saga and Sheffield being really toothless has given me some respite from it.

We were dead on our feet shortly before we scored, especially in midfield. I get the subs got us the goal but it also completely took any control of the game we had away. There didn’t seem to be any tactics or structure to it and watching a poor looking Villa side having the time and space to put balls into the box was just painful man.

I think it’s going to be really hard to stick with this if the takeover fails.

I think it’s going to be really hard to stick with this if the takeover fails.

This is it like. In a way, I'm probably slightly more tolerant or certainly less agitated than I would normally be about dross like yesterday thinking that there's only another 7 or 8 shitfests of the Bruce era to endure.

If the takeover doesn't happen and it's Ashley/Bruce next season that'll be it for me, I'll be totally switched off until the day ownership actually does change. We're closer than ever and finally thinking of exciting times, going back to the depressing reality will be too much to bear.