The 2011-2012 Betting Thread: Last call for 2011/12 football, pretty much

Stu

Does what is says on the tin. People starting to look at season-long bets, stick your selections in here:

Crawley are favourites at 9/2 to win League 2 next year. Pitiful.

I think the best value in such markets is Birmingham to win the Championship at 8/1.

7/2 on b365.  Agree about Birmingham.

I've £2 on

Premier League: Man Utd

Championship: Birmingham

League 1: Huddersfield

League 2: Bristol Rovers

Champions League: Barcelona

Returns about 13k.

Who are people looking at as league winners for next season?

Thinking of a tenner on Barca, Crawley, Bayern, AC Milan, Celtic and PSG.

Trying to decide what to do for some season long bets meself, actually.

Been throwing around a few combinations today, there's some good value to be had. Decided I'm having £20 a week on Barca to win La Liga and £5 a week on them to win the Champions League until the odds become a fair bit worse than they are now.

Guest BooBoo

Waaaaaay too soon for this thread.

Not really. The last one was started last May :laugh:

Waaaaaaaay too early for that thread.

I've already done some long term bets, with low money:

3 € on us to finish Top 4.

2 € on

Champions League: Real Madrid

Bundesliga: Wolfsburg

Championship: Birmingham

10€ on

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich

Promotion: West Ham

And some bets, that aren't long term:

150 € on Germany (women) to win their World Cup.

6.25€ on Andreas Klöden to win the Tour de France (without Contador)

2 € on Tom Boonen to win the green jersey at Tour de France.

2 € on Tom Boonen to win the green jersey at Tour de France.

I love this bet, I'm going to be all over the tour next week but with the new system for sprints and the few uphill finishes, 66-1 with the each way for top 3 is such a sweet price. I've got a covering bet on Denis Galimzyanov too, I think he's almost as fast as Cavendish in a flat finish. 

First someone nicks the NBA threa from Mike, and now they nick the betting thread from me. No respect for annual thread starters these days. :huff:

;)

Put on my usual Rosenborg bet along with a Godset/Tromsø/Bodø treble.

In the past, yes. But the premier division is just sad nowadays. The funny thing is, even with Rosenborgs awful start, they could easily go on and win the league. By the way Ranheim 2-0, cracking goal..

It's not a funny thing, it's media hype. They've only ever been nine points down with like... 57 points left to play for. Never a crisis, just a bad start.

In the past, yes. But the premier division is just sad nowadays. The funny thing is, even with Rosenborgs awful start, they could easily go on and win the league. By the way Ranheim 2-0, cracking goal..

It's not a funny thing, it's media hype. They've only ever been nine points down with like... 57 points left to play for. Never a crisis, just a bad start.

Of course, but this season it's not given that Rosenborg will win it. The loss of Annan has been devastating. 0-0 today, not very impressive. Then again, I don't see who else is gonna win. The results are so random, man..

Of course, but this season it's not given that Rosenborg will win it. The loss of Annan has been devastating. 0-0 today, not very impressive. Then again, I don't see who else is gonna win. The results are so random, man..

It's still only media hype, the only "unnatural" occurances have been Rosenborg and Vålerenga's bad start. Strømsgodset, Tromsø and Molde have great teams and are where they're meant to be. Been a few freak results here and there, but that's the same in basically every league. Looking at the table, it doesn't look unnatural whatsoever bar Rosenborg and Vålerenga and a somewhat tighter than usual mid-table. That should clear itself up by the 20th round or so, though, as it always does.

The standard just isn't great in the Norwegian league, and the teams that do well one season tend to sell the players that made them do well and thus fall down the table in the next season. Only teams that should do well from year to year are Rosenborg, Vålerenga and Molde as they're the only team with a reasonable amount of money on their bank account. The rest will randomly fill the table from year to year depending on which teams have not sold the players making them decent yet. Look at Tromsø now, they'll sell themselves out of the title race again as they always do when they have a golden generation. It's about sustainability economically for most clubs, not silverware. Whcih is why the standard of the league is as low as it is.

and also to back up kai here a bit, i withdrew most of my monies from betfair and bet365 just before christmas as there were that many bizzarre results going on all round europe that i was just going to lose it all. been doing okay with what i left in since about april.

It's still only media hype, the only "unnatural" occurances have been Rosenborg and Vålerenga's bad start. Strømsgodset, Tromsø and Molde have great teams and are where they're meant to be. Been a few freak results here and there, but that's the same in basically every league. Looking at the table, it doesn't look unnatural whatsoever bar Rosenborg and Vålerenga and a somewhat tighter than usual mid-table. That should clear itself up by the 20th round or so, though, as it always does.

The standard just isn't great in the Norwegian league, and the teams that do well one season tend to sell the players that made them do well and thus fall down the table in the next season. Only teams that should do well from year to year are Rosenborg, Vålerenga and Molde as they're the only team with a reasonable amount of money on their bank account. The rest will randomly fill the table from year to year depending on which teams have not sold the players making them decent yet. Look at Tromsø now, they'll sell themselves out of the title race again as they always do when they have a golden generation. It's about sustainability economically for most clubs, not silverware. Whcih is why the standard of the league is as low as it is.

You're right, but the freak results are too frequent. Also the consistency is absent in more or less every team in the league. Look at Molde, they're at 2nd place with 4 losses, one of them a 5-0 trashing by FKH. You don't see a second placed team in any other league with 4 losses after 13 matches. I'm not disagreeing with you, just stating that the general level in the league is quite visible through these freak results, and that everyone beats everyone every weak. It's no pattern. Also, the footballing system in Norway is on a whole other level than great football nations. Player developments are so slow, and competing doesn't get serious until you're like 12 years old. Therefore, there is obviously a massive lack of individualists in Norway, and the need of foreign players able to do something creative with the ball is huge.