Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Has the standards actually improved since they went pro?

No. They've got worse.

Sad indictictment of PL refereeing is that the best one they've ever had was an amatuer who's day job was a schoolmaster at Eton.

Harrow.

Guest firetotheworks

It's the whole Respect campaign whilst being entirely s*** that f***s me off. McManaman deliberately assaults Haidara and potentially ends his career with one of the worst tackles you're ever likely to see...play on.

Nani jumps for the ball and gets a red card.

You f***ing EARN respect.

Guest Slippery Sam

Halsey should be finished after the disgrace yesterday.  He may not have seen the actual incident (crikey, surely he is supposed to make sure he can see such challenges??) due to being too slow, but he MUST have heard the boy's scream.  To then not ask his so-called assistants what they saw is unforgivable.

The linesman who missed the hand ball should be sent down to Conference level. I aplologise to Conference team supporters.

Halsey should be finished after the disgrace yesterday.  He may not have seen the actual incident (crikey, surely he is supposed to make sure he can see such challenges??) due to being too slow, but he MUST have heard the boy's scream.  To then not ask his so-called assistants what they saw is unforgivable.

The linesman who missed the hand ball should be sent down to Conference level. I aplologise to Conference team supporters.

The linesman on both sides had a clear view of both major incidents. Like I've suggested before though has Halsey instructed his lino's to keep their involvement to line calls and offsides only. Some referee's do it this way. The referee at the mackem game was happy to allow his lino's the opportunity to help him as many would suggest they should.

Do refs work with the same lino's week in week out?

Guest neesy111

The linesman on both sides had a clear view of both major incidents. Like I've suggested before though has Halsey instructed his lino's to keep their involvement to line calls and offsides only. Some referee's do it this way. The referee at the mackem game was happy to allow his lino's the opportunity to help him as many would suggest they should.

No they don't.  There have been calls that we should have a professional set of linesman on top of referees.

A player blocking his view is a poor excuse anyway, it never happened in a crowd of players, there was just one player in his way. He's a referee, he should adjust so that he can see it. Add that to the fact there's 4 officials and not one of them saw it and there is absolutely no excuse for them.

Guest fraser

In my opinion most referees and their assistants are incompetent; most simple issues are correctly awarded but in my experience most difficult decisions are decided by the mental toss of a coin. This means that referees will get some difficult ones right to bolster any sagging reputation.

I do find it comical though to see an assistant give a handball decision like yesterday's at Sunderland with such authority and conviction, puffing himself up as he ostentatiously flags to watch him completely fuck up another decision later in the same match. They are, by and large, figures of fun.

The term "assistant referee" has been used for some while & their function is to do absolutely that: Assist the referee

However, the incident yesterday merely served to underline the inadequate & inconsistent nature of the the modern officialls. We now see many occasions when ignorance is applied in the face of blatant incidents & subjective calls given to debatable hand balls etc. The linesman in this case had a clear veiw & chose to ignore it, for whatever reason, though my call is that he seen it for what it was & shirked his responsibility. As such he should be branded a coward, like Macmanaman.

Guest neesy111

Fair play to Poll for coming out like that, as I usually get the referee's ex and current back each other like a gentleman's club.

Guest neesy111

He's 51?! :lol:

Are there any other referees of that age?

I thought you couldn't referee past 45 in the past?  Must had changed the rules.

Guest Roger Kint

He's 51?! :lol:

Are there any other referees of that age?

I thought you couldn't referee past 45 in the past?  Must had changed the rules.

I thought they only changed the International one to about 47 or something?

The game has got away from ref's it's just too quick.

Any bad injury the ref should have the option to ask to see it, no disruption to the game whilst a players getting treated, all goals should also be reviewed which is another natural break in the game. It's just not physically possible for them to keep up with play.

More and more games (two yesterday) are gettiing results changed due to wrong decisions and it's stuff that's not even close most of the time.

This is the top end of the game we're talking about, the technology is there, it'd take seconds, it needs to change, it's getting beyond "ah well, what goes around comes around and it evens out over a season" there are real games results being changed wrongly.

The game has got away from ref's it's just too quick.

Any bad injury the ref should have the option to ask to see it, no disruption to the game whilst a players getting treated, all goals should also be reviewed which is another natural break in the game. It's just not physically possible for them to keep up with play.

More and more games (two yesterday) are gettiing results changed due to wrong decisions and it's stuff that's not even close most of the time.

This is the top end of the game we're talking about, the technology is there, it'd take seconds, it needs to change, it's getting beyond "ah well, what goes around comes around and it evens out over a season" there are real games results being changed wrongly.

4th official could have easily watched the reply and advised the ref it was a straight red.

Former Premier League referee Alan Wiley has offered his support to Mark Halsey after he failed to spot Callum McManaman's knee-high challenge on Massadio Haidara during Wigan's game with Newcastle.

Wigan striker McManaman was not even cautioned by referee Halsey, who later admitted he failed to spot the challenge on France U21 international Haidara during Athletic's 2-1 win at the DW Stadium on Sunday.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was outraged by the tackle and his Wigan counterpart Roberto Martinez promised McManaman would apologise to Haidara.

But speaking on Sky Sports News, Wiley insisted Halsey was not to blame for the oversight as he was unsighted at the time of the incident.

"When the ball goes out towards the touchline, Mark will probably think McManaman has played the ball because he cannot see the challenge as it is."

Alan Wiley

"From the referee's point of view, he is in the position you would expect him to be," said Wiley.

"It's just one of those situations where at the moment the tackle is made, a player runs along Mark Halsey's path which then blocks his view of the challenge, so Mark doesn't actually see the challenge.

"When the ball goes out towards the touchline, Mark will probably think McManaman has played the ball because he cannot see the challenge as it is.

"It is a one in a thousand situation where at the opportune moment, a player runs across his path and unfortunately, that (the foul) gets missed."

Bad feeling

Pardew said after the match: "It is an awful challenge. The pictures speak for themselves. I thought it was a bad challenge and I was 60 yards from the incident.

"The players knew because they were on top of it and there was a lot of bad feeling about that incident when it goes unpunished. He (Halsey) said 'If I've missed it I apologise' - that was at half-time."

Martinez defended the character of his player but admitted that it had looked a bad challenge.

He said: "I can't really comment too much because I haven't seen the action but I can guarantee that Callum McManaman is a young man full of talent and in his debut probably showed the enthusiasm that you expect, but he's not a malicious player."

As much as I hate what happened, this is pretty much the point I was arguing with someone yesterday.  Again, it doesn't change the fact the other officials should have helped Halsey out.

From Matt Spiro-

"Heard on UK radio this morning Halsey is 'distraught' & much concern over affect on McManaman's career. Haidara not even pronounced properly"

Wow

you fucking what?