Athletico Mince

Si

Just not funny.

Managed 30 seconds before I had to turn it off, cringe :lol:

Legitimate question here, what sort of thing do you's find funny ?

Just not funny.

Managed 30 seconds before I had to turn it off, cringe :lol:

Legitimate question here, what sort of thing do you's find funny ?

Well, like Young Neil would say.... that's kind of a big question. Bill Hicks?

Yeah I think it was mentioned in the past that Bob's humour probably doesn't translate well.

The first 10 episodes of Athletico Mince are alright but they're still searching for gold in them but after that it's just gold all the way from Bob

I'd be interested to know how it translates abroad as it's really fucking niche at times.

It all depends, as I in general have enjoyed both British stand-up comedians, sitcoms and similar in the past. But I'm sure there's something lost in translation here though as there's people liking this shit that I in general seem to have similar tastes to based on comments in other threads. For me, this is just someone blabbering on about shit and making up personalities/stories around people where those personalities/stories aren't even close to fitting. Squires, as an example, does a similar thing but he tends to nail it (for me). However the formats are very different, and a two frame gag from Squires is easier to nail than trying to maintain a story-gag for far too long like these guys do. Guess the difference here could be in general storytelling between Brits compared to general storytelling between other cultures.

An example from my own experience is the time when everyone was raving about "The Fun Bus", listened to it, and came out of the experience questioning existence due to the extreme boredom it caused. Then there was the "Gangs of the PL" people were raving about, listened to it, and it was just a long, long story about fictional personalities not doing anything at all of note in a public toilet.

Admittedly I've not listened to anything else after those two experiences, because jesus christ, nothing happened.

I'd be interested to know how it translates abroad as it's really fucking niche at times.

I think you need to have grown up with Vic and Bob to get them.  I've made a couple of Americans watch Shooting Stars and they just looked bewildered.

I think a lot of it is knowing Bob Mortimer just doesn’t take himself seriously at all. There’s just something about him. If pretty much anyone else did a podcast like that it wouldn’t work. I mean if I just loaded a random youtube clip up and someone else was putting daft voices on pretending to be Peter Beardsley I’d think it was absolutely shite :lol:

I think a lot of it is knowing Bob Mortimer just doesn’t take himself seriously at all. If pretty much anyone else did a podcast like that it wouldn’t work. I mean if I just loaded a random youtube clip up and someone else was putting daft voices on pretending to be Peter Beardsley I’d think it was absolutely shite :lol:

This might be it. I have no prior knowledge of the people doing this.

FWIW I don’t think it really works in clip form either like, even being a fan of Bob :lol:

The songs and daft stories are pretty rubbish and nonsensical but they’re meant to be as the whole point of the podcast is him and the Get in the Sea guy just talking shite. I don’t think they’re written to go viral.

"For me, this is just someone blabbering on about shit and making up personalities/stories around people where those personalities/stories aren't even close to fitting."

Think this line from Kaiz is key. As that's where the joy of Mince comes from for me the bizarre surreal caricatures rather than impressions. The absurdist elements are what does it for me. There's no grounding in Beardos wife loving boilers, but by God is it funny.

Completely get how it's marmite though and how it won't resonate with people but I bloody love it. My parents hated Vic & Bob but I loved them growing up.

"For me, this is just someone blabbering on about shit and making up personalities/stories around people where those personalities/stories aren't even close to fitting."

Think this line from Kaiz is key. As that's where the joy of Mince comes from for me the bizarre surreal caricatures rather than impressions. The absurdist elements are what does it for me. There's no grounding in Beardos wife loving boilers, but by God is it funny.

Completely get how it's marmite though and how it won't resonate with people but I bloody love it. My parents hated Vic & Bob but I loved them growing up.

100% agree with this I just love watching Bob in every thing he does, from fishing with Paul Whitehouse to telling lies with Lee Mack, I just find him a naturally funny bloke.

I completely get why people wouldn't find it funny, particularly non-Brits. I bloody love Bob, though.

I know enough Brits that don't 'get' Vic and/or Bob, let alone abroad. I reckon Would I Lie To You would actually be a great starting point to enjoy Bob if you didn't like him before. There's a reason someone's put together a compilation of pretty much every one of his appearances on there. :lol: