Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Guest firetotheworks

There was a little spell where they got absolutely everything, peaking with that throw in that the linesman 'changed his mind' about after Townsend screamed at him.

There was a little spell where they got absolutely everything, peaking with that throw in that the linesman 'changed his mind' about after Townsend screamed at him.

was that linesman Lee Probert, who overruled his linesman v the mackems, leading up to their unjust winner? Growing to dislike this man a lot if so.

Guest lebowski

I hate to agree with anyone, but I leapt up immediately and yelled "RED!" after Dawson's attack. Just seen Larsson's as well and that's even worse tbh. He'd better get a retrospective ban. Foy was abysmal today, breaking up play every time we won the ball, letting them take FKs from wherever they wanted, whether the ball was moving or not, warning us for wasting time - I have never seen that happen when we're chasing the game, ever. Literally never in over 40 years. It's playing 11 v 16 every game. :lol: can't believe I'm so angry after we've won. Against all odds, again.

couldn't agree more. After watching the match again Dawson's tackle was worse than I even thought originally. I know if that had been Tiote or any of our players that would correctly have been awarded a red. Is this the sort of thing the FA Iis going to look at retrospectively now? It makes a mockery of the rule that saw Mbiwa sent off for really the lightest of touches on that diving cheating gobshite from Liverpool.

Forget about the FA ever getting it right. After the Haidara incident last season, the 'improvement' in the process was that there must be a unanimous decision from the now 3 people reviewing any process. And that they still can't intervene if any of the match officials have seen the incident, partly or in full, which was the issue in the first place.

Unless it suits their own agenda for example, say your name is Suarez. Then they'll come up with a different set of rules.

Former referees will form panel to review decisions as part of Premier League pilot scheme

The Premier League pilot scheme allowing former referees to sit in judgment on certain incidents not seen by match officials has been given the green light for this season.

Telegraph Sport revealed back in May that English football’s stakeholders had agreed to trial the use of a three-strong panel of ex-referees as part of the process by which retrospective action is taken against players.

A season-long pilot has now been sanctioned by the Football Regulatory Authority and will begin on the first day of the Premier League campaign on August 17.

The panel will be made up of three permanent members, each of them an as-yet-unnamed former referee who will be on standby to review video footage of incidents such as Callum McManaman’s horror tackle on Massadio Haidara last season.

The review is able to be conducted via video link between the FA’s disciplinary department and each member of the panel, the verdict of which will determine whether further disciplinary action is taken.

Until this season, match referees were asked to re-examine their own decisions using video evidence, and it is understood they welcome the pressure on them to do so being lifted.

For the panel to be convened, a referee must still confirm he did not see the incident under review at the time it took place, while his assistants must be considered not to have been in a position to make the right call on his behalf.

The latter represents a slight tweak to the previous rule where all officials had to have no view whatsoever of an incident in order for the FA to begin disciplinary proceedings using video evidence.

The change was made in order to prevent a repeat of the circumstances which stopped it banning McManaman last season after assistant referee Matthew Wilkes testified he had seen a “coming together” of the Wigan Athletic winger and Newcastle United defender Haidara.

The new panel is expected to convene on a Monday for weekend games and the day after any midweek match if it contains an incident which requires its attention.

It is a Premier League-only pilot, with the Football League monitoring developments, having previously stated any change to rules governing retrospective action could see referees tempted to shirk big decisions if they knew players would be punished by a panel days later.

It was also concerned about the authority of officials being undermined and countless games being re-refereed.

Nevertheless, the pilot and retrospective-action rule tweak represent a significant step forward a year after the game’s stakeholders – which also includes the Professional Footballers’ Association, League Managers Association and Professional Game Match Officials Ltd – were unable to reach agreement over changes to the FA’s disciplinary process.

Some will see the breakthrough as having not gone far enough, with many instances of violent conduct still set to remain unpunished if match officials make the wrong call on incidents they have clear sight of.

One such example would be the ugly clash between Sergio Agüero and David Luiz during Manchester City’s FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea in April.

A tangle between the players saw Luiz use his elbow to ward off City striker Agüero, who reacted by kicking out at the Chelsea defender.

A free-kick was awarded at the time, with the officials appearing not to appreciate the severity of the confrontation.

May’s stakeholders meeting also decided against introducing some form of retrospective action for diving, although that stance could change next summer if a scheme to eradicate it piloted by the Scottish Football Association proves to be successful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10227504/Former-referees-will-form-panel-to-review-decisions-as-part-of-Premier-League-pilot-scheme.html

'...while his assistants must be considered not to have been in a position to make the right call on his behalf' which is ambiguous and open to various interpretations. Didn't someone also mention that in some cases the ref does not want his assistants to intervene outside of offside calls?

How they react to further punishment for diving even with the recent spate of diving incidents is anyone's guess. Presumably they will do sweet FA as they did to Suarez and Bale in the previous seasons.

Guest lebowski

Wow. I hadn't picked up on that. This is pretty toothless, it wouldn't have even changed things in the Ben Arfa DeJong incident. It also seems unnecessary, most people are happy to accept that referees are going to make mistakes, it would be better to have the officials as part of the review process. I think dangerous play should be treated more seriously than diving or handball decisions. That said if they deducted points for diving it would fairly much stop overnight, currently there is too much reward for going down easy in the box.

I hate to agree with anyone, but I leapt up immediately and yelled "RED!" after Dawson's attack. Just seen Larsson's as well and that's even worse tbh. He'd better get a retrospective ban. Foy was abysmal today, breaking up play every time we won the ball, letting them take FKs from wherever they wanted, whether the ball was moving or not, warning us for wasting time - I have never seen that happen when we're chasing the game, ever. Literally never in over 40 years. It's playing 11 v 16 every game. :lol: can't believe I'm so angry after we've won. Against all odds, again.

couldn't agree more. After watching the match again Dawson's tackle was worse than I even thought originally. I know if that had been Tiote or any of our players that would correctly have been awarded a red. Is this the sort of thing the FA Iis going to look at retrospectively now? It makes a mockery of the rule that saw Mbiwa sent off for really the lightest of touches on that diving cheating gobshite from Liverpool.

Tiote got a red for a far less potentially crippling tackle at the SOS last season....Refs give NUFC very little in this day and age. What about the infamous McManaman 'tackle'(spell that a-s-s-a-u-l-t)

on Haidara at Wigan last season.......? Almost unbelievable that no card given.

Who is this ref Robert Madley who reffed our game against Stoke this week, the consensus of our fans is simply he's totally inept or corrupt, no other explanation, he spent the final minutes trying his best to get Stoke a goal.

As someone on one of our messageboards wrote:

" Last seven minutes.

1. Their keeper and Routs have a ding dong, keeper lays hands on him, Stoke get a free kick.

2. Big old ball scramble in front of dug outs, drop ball ? Stoke get a free kick.

3. Bony wins a clean header on half way line, Stoke get a free kick.

4. Ball is charged down by swans defender Rangel, out on the right, Stoke get a free kick.

5. They get a corner off Canias from that free kick. Its retaken after Bony cleared fairly.

Stoke get an advantage.

6. Stoke fail to take the advantage from retaken corner and get a penalty.

Which nobody saw."

The most bizarre reffing ever.

Robert "Bobby" Madley (born 6 October 1985, age 28) is an English professional football referee who was promoted in 2013 to the list of Select Group Referees who officiate primarily in the Premier League.

He has officiated in the Football League as a referee since 2010 and is one of the youngest officials to progress to the top-flight of English football. Madley is one of the referee development officers for the West Riding County Football Association. He has also been a fifth official for FIFA since 2012.

Young chap, but not the youngest to ref in the PL. Stuart Attwell holds the distinction.

• 3 weeks later...

Dowd was fucking absymal tonight. The game ended with perhaps the worst decision of the lot.

Was just going to post this. He was shocking, thankfully it didn't cost us 2 points but he was just awful for both sides. His interpretation of the advantage rule needs to be questioned by his boss. Fouls given for us weren't for them and vice versa, he wasn't biased he was just complete pigshit.

Worst performance on the park including the 22 players.

Some of these referee's have been in the game longer than most players. They are stuck in their ways, having a panel of retired referee's who are also stuck in their ways viewing them is no good. The Premier League (and FA) need new younger referees. We need the guy who watches a football match and knows whats a bad tackle and whats a dive refereeing matches, not referee's who determine what is and isn't a foul by who it will give an advantage or disadvantage too.

I wonder if referees review and reflect on their performances or just go home after the game adamant that they made all the correct decisions. Phil Dowd is so smug that he must certainly be in the latter category.

And yes, referees do go home and wonder how to manage games better next time. They wonder if they got the calls right and regret the ones that they got wrong (in hind sight or on slow-mo ten angle replay).

How can a professional referee be so obviously unfit? he must have 6-8kg of excess fat on him. Anyone got a screengrab of him from the match? seriously, he should not be allowed to ref PL.

Dowd has lost 2 stone over the summer

Before

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/02/article-2383646-1B18F170000005DC-386_306x476.jpg

After

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/02/article-2383646-1B18EAC4000005DC-589_306x476.jpg

All referees have to pass a strict fitness test before the season starts to be able to referee (think Dowd failed a few years ago and wasn't able to ref until he passed which he did a few months later)