Worst ever Newcastle midfielder?

:lol: Stephen Glass, a squad player signed for a few hundred grand who was here for a couple of years; scored seven times and got the odd assist: worst ever Newcastle midfielder.

People just picking at random. Glass scored past Man United and usually a passable option off the bench. IIRC it was him who was finished off by George Boateng right infront of my old ST seat.

Fumaca, Faye and Smith are so far away from everyone else it shouldn't even be discussion unless they’re pre 92/93 of which my knowledge is lacking due to being a Durham Mag.

Guest godzilla

Think Glyn Hodges takes some beating mind. So bad we sold him the same season, was rated a bit of a steal signing at the time as he was highly rated and tipped to go onto bigger things.

I'm plumping for colback. He's maybe not the worst footballer but he's still shite, had an awful attitude, was signed by pardew, played far too many times under mcclaren, played for sunderland (THAT celebration) and the key thing for me is the feelings of disappointment, anger and annoyance that this traitorous slimeball was playing in a Newcastle shirt, never mind as a first team player brought out in me. However bad Hamilton, Fumaca, smith, geremi et al were, he is the player version of everything I hate from that era of ashley owned Newcastle.

It’s hard being a NUFC midfielder. The quality is always lacking. 

We could have 3 ex midfielders in the CL final and all 3 had some very rough patches here. 

I go Faye.

Anita.

Butt

Smith

Colback

Bobby wanted to sign Carrick rather than Butt but FS wanted Butt

Dyer Jenas Carrick Robert.

Could’ve been decent for us.

Players like Gavilan and Papavasiliou and even Maric never really got going, and I remember Gavilan and Maric at least showing glimpses of talent. Fumaca and his stepovers are infamous, but I only remember him making a handful of appearances, mostly off the bench. Maybe it was just the idea of Amdy Faye, who was alright at Portsmouth, but I also thought he started okay before rapidly deteriorating. I don't think it's fair to include youngsters who get given a chance - often because of a lack of squad depth - but fail to make the grade.

The first names that spring to mind are those established players who really had no excuse for being awful, and yet they were worse than that. Top of the list are Butt and Smith. I thought Smith in particular never had a good spell for us, even in the Championship, when he simply sat in front of the defence heading balls back to the opposition before Danny Guthrie took his place. I hated Butt more though, and never liked nor rated him whether playing for us, England, or Manchester United. His standard forward pass was either a chipped ball to the opposition defence, or a blasted ball which would hit our forwards somewhere about the knees.

I know it's grossly unfair to target Robson in any list of 'worst' Newcastle anything, but in the last year under him we went from a midfield of Robert, Speed, Dyer, and Solano, with Jenas and Viana in reserve, to a marginalised Robert barely hanging on to his place on the left, while the rest of the midfield was made up of Dyer, Jenas, and then Butt, Bowyer, Milner, and Darren Ambrose. After a few years back in England, he went native.

Very harsh on bobby that- got shafted that summer for signings and just getting bowyer on a free was a disaster and no suprise led to a drop in position ( see Anita summer for comparison) he wanted carrick, and Milner was a shroud signing just didn’t make it at the toon for some reason

Very harsh on bobby that- got shafted that summer for signings and just getting bowyer on a free was a disaster and no suprise led to a drop in position ( see Anita summer for comparison) he wanted carrick, and Milner was a shroud signing just didn’t make it at the toon for some reason

To be honest I've never entirely bought the idea that Speed was sold behind Robson's back, because my memory is that we were showing interest in Butt well before Speed was sold to Bolton. I wouldn't doubt that Robson wanted Carrick as well, but Shepherd rarely looked beyond the big names when he did take an active interest in our transfer business.

More broadly my sense of that time was of Robson hanging Robert and Viana out to dry after some poor performances, repeatedly moaning about Solano's commitments with Peru and of course eventually selling him, marginalising Lua Lua after he opted to play for DR Congo, and in their stead we got Ambrose, Bowyer, and Milner, who was never a good Premier League player as a right winger, while with Bellamy frequently injured, we were left with a Shearer/Ameobi partnership which never worked because their games were too similar. We didn't capitalise on our third-placed finish with Bowyer the only addition that summer, but we had spent considerably in the six months prior on Woodgate and Ambrose.

Think Glyn Hodges takes some beating mind. So bad we sold him the same season, was rated a bit of a steal signing at the time as he was highly rated and tipped to go onto bigger things.

If I remember right, he was sold on within weeks. He looked nervous and unhappy right from the start, like he wanted away from the moment he signed.

:lol: Stephen Glass, a squad player signed for a few hundred grand who was here for a couple of years; scored seven times and got the odd assist: worst ever Newcastle midfielder.

Glass wasn't bad.

Amady Faye was easily the worst. Absolutely diabolical in all aspects.

Other candidates in my lifetime:

Butt was an absolute liability towards the end as was Geremi but they both had spells of being ok.

Anita offered very little going forwards or defending but at least he was versatile and filled in when needed.

Alan Smith was an abomination all round. Stunk up the squad for way too long.

Stephen Ireland was a fucking joke.

Damien duff was a cunt.

Butt’s time here was aptly summed up by that fucking pointless overhead clearance (midway in our own half and about 5-10 yards from the touch line) to absolutely no one.

Couldn’t stand the cunt.

scored a great winner v Leicester and he was decent. no way should he be on the worst list. Average list definitely.

Butt’s time here was aptly summed up by that fucking pointless overhead clearance (midway in our own half and about 5-10 yards from the touch line) to absolutely no one.

Couldn’t stand the cunt.

Same here.  I’ve never seen a player actively hide as much as he did in a lot of games, especially at St James Park.  You could actually see him making sure he was marked so no one would pass to him.  A total shithouse.