Gooch feels like a Geordie

Skirge

Gooch feeling like a Geordie

Feb 17 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Oguchi onyewu has paid tribute to his new team-mates after receiving a Geordie welcome that has made him feel at home.

The US international sat out the UEFA Cup-tie in Belgium on Thursday against Zulte-Waregem, but still made the journey back to the country where he spent three years playing for Standard Liege in the Jupiler League.

The American helped Glenn Roeder with his European mission by providing a dossier of information about the Belgian minnows and admits he feels at home at Newcastle following his loan deal from Standard.

And the man who can't play in Europe because he is cup-tied but returns at Wigan next Sunday, heaped praise on Roeder and his squad.

He told the Chronicle: "I don't think it's too difficult to get to know the players. They're all good guys, and very friendly.

"They've been very accommodating in helping me acclimatise to the new system. Everything's going well.

"I'm looking forward to the Wigan game. We're coming off a good victory over Liverpool and, hopefully, we can carry that momentum into the next league game."

Gooch spent the first part of his week in Belgium sorting out his personal affairs with the player still in transition after moving on loan to the St James' Park.

And with the American watching from the stands in Ghent he give his verdict on the European tie that United won 3-1 in the first leg of the round of 32.

He added: "I tried to handle some things while I was there and take advantage of the time I was in Belgium.

"I came out to support my team.

"I think the whole game was difficult to play - they had nine players behind the ball every time we tried to attack them.

"It was difficult to break down their defences. The own goal really opened up the game, and we were able to score two more goals."

Meanwhile, with Wigan the next test for Gooch at the JJB Stadium next Sunday, he revealed he aims to come back with a bang.

He says: "Good teams get victories home and away and the next game away for us is going to be very important.

"We have to take something from every game and learn from the mistakes we make."