Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

Guest toonlass

I'm going to Orlando in September. Might see if I can sneak away if there are any matches on.  :iamatwat:

Let me know when you're in town and I'll point you in the right direction.

Cheers  :thup:

Guest toonlass

I'm going to Orlando in September. Might see if I can sneak away if there are any matches on.  :iamatwat:

Let me know when you're in town and I'll point you in the right direction.

... back out of town? :lol:

:lol:

In northern New Jersey. Been meaning to check out a game with the Toon Army NYC, but it hasn't happened yet.

Occasionally go to Mulligan's in Hoboken to watch games, but most of the time it's easier to just stay home. It's hard enough getting up for an early weekend kickoff without adding travel time.

Toon Army NYC are great bunch of lads (was one of them till moving to Miami)- meet in Legends now on 33rd street, so easier i coming on PATH train from NJ. Quite a few of them often watch in NJ - should connect on forum at least on www.toonarmynyc.com

Live in NY and last week went to see the Arsenal - Barca game at Nevada Smiths. I'm 20 and you gotta be 21 there. Any age limit at your place? Would love to watch a game with Newcastle fans for once in my life.

Guest dazzanufc1892

NEVADA SMITHS!!! definitely the place to be on toon match day in NY.

was there when we got promoted, toasted with champagne and beers. Met a couple of gorgeous geordie lasses who were on holiday at the same time as me. Passionate and knowledgable crowd, couple even had enrique on their shirts :D

also great for other games.

Never forget my times there, will be back again in October so see you again soon lads!!!

Michigan, in the Detroit area. I know of a few bars show games, but I've only been to them a few times. Really fun, just don't want to drive there in the morning.

Or ever.   ;)

In Chicago, The Globe, Fados and Gingers.  If you can stand the saaaacer fans with their Wayne Rooney shirts at 8 in the morning, there are usually a few Newcastle supporters mixed in.  In addition to FSC and FSC +, The Globe will also occasionally show streaming games on a projector, so that is probably your best bet. 

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Baltimore Mags meet at Slainte in Fells Point. We've got a consistent crowd of 6, with occasionally a few people coming by on days that they can make it.  We sing and cheer pretty loudly.  Only other place in the world I would have wanted to be the day we drew Arsenal would have been at SJP.  It was awesome at our bar, and we were going apeshit.

Guest toonarmymia

In northern New Jersey. Been meaning to check out a game with the Toon Army NYC, but it hasn't happened yet.

Occasionally go to Mulligan's in Hoboken to watch games, but most of the time it's easier to just stay home. It's hard enough getting up for an early weekend kickoff without adding travel time.

Toon Army NYC are great bunch of lads (was one of them till moving to Miami)- meet in Legends now on 33rd street, so easier i coming on PATH train from NJ. Quite a few of them often watch in NJ - should connect on forum at least on www.toonarmynyc.com

Live in NY and last week went to see the Arsenal - Barca game at Nevada Smiths. I'm 20 and you gotta be 21 there. Any age limit at your place? Would love to watch a game with Newcastle fans for once in my life.

Nevadas used to be ok on this, on the understanding that you didnt drink. people would often bring their young lads in at times which was ok. In Legends (downstairs) should be ok as its also a restaurant / function place. of all the times i've been, there's not been anyone on the door.

Guest toonarmymia

NEVADA SMITHS!!! definitely the place to be on toon match day in NY.

was there when we got promoted, toasted with champagne and beers. Met a couple of gorgeous geordie lasses who were on holiday at the same time as me. Passionate and knowledgable crowd, couple even had enrique on their shirts :D

also great for other games.

Never forget my times there, will be back again in October so see you again soon lads!!!

probably met you that hazy day of celebrating in nevadas. we ended up out the back of the place hanging out with those two lasses!

the man behind the bar (jack keane) who also cracked open champagne for us when we got promoted, left the place with a number of the other staff. the owners were being dicks (long story), so we're boycotting Nevadas (not in the SJP way / FCB way).

All the Newcastle fans now go to Legends in midtown. Its right beside the Empire State building

Guest toonarmymia

Love how the Toon Army has spread all the way over the pond to the USA.

There is quite a few Yanky toon fans actually. :)

I'm coming across more and more and the Premier League is becoming more popular.

Always lots of plastic, glory supporters for the "big four", but the yankee NUFC fans always seem to know their stuff

There is plenty of the plastic fans over here toonarmymia. My cousin being one of them. He used to support Newcastle (got loads of pics of him in Newcastle shirts and he's been to many a match with me) but then when we started doing s****, he started supporting Liverpool and claimed he'd "always supported" them.

That period of shite and relegation sorted out the wheat from the chaff with plastic fans over here. anyone who's either stuck with us or joined during this time, has a more realistic view

Michigan, in the Detroit area. I know of a few bars show games, but I've only been to them a few times. Really fun, just don't want to drive there in the morning.

Or ever.   ;)

In Chicago, The Globe, Fados and Gingers.  If you can stand the saaaacer fans with their Wayne Rooney shirts at 8 in the morning, there are usually a few Newcastle supporters mixed in.  In addition to FSC and FSC +, The Globe will also occasionally show streaming games on a projector, so that is probably your best bet. 

I was in Chicago for the Man City match in October, didn't get a chance to go. I'm hoping to move there in the fall, so I'll definitely pay some visits.

Guest toonarmymia

They can't fill stadiums in Sunderland, what chance over here in USA? Good luck on the unwashed making it through US immigration:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2011/02/19/sunderland-ponder-pre-season-states-trip-61634-28196606/

SUNDERLAND’S attempt to open new revenue streams is likely to take them on a pre-season tour of America as the board looks to tap into new overseas markets.

The Black Cats have spent the last four years preparing for the start of a gruelling domestic campaign in both Ireland and Portugal, but Steve Bruce’s men may have to go further afield this summer.

Although the Black Cats have been to America before in pre-season when Mick McCarthy was manager, this trip will be far more high profile with games in major cities like New York, Boston and Washington DC.

A visit to the States has been mooted for some time and would appear to make sense, given the club’s reliance on their billionaire owner Ellis Short.

The club announced losses of more than £25million for the second year running this week, a deficit that will be paid for by Short as he continues to bankroll the Black Cats’ attempt to establish themselves among the elite of English football.

Although Short spends a significant amount of his time in Europe he is still based in Texas, and is keen to show Sunderland off in his homeland in an effort to attract a new generation of American supporters. The Premier League is increasingly popular in the States and the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United have been working hard to get a foothold in a lucrative market for the last few years.

Sunderland will struggle to compete with those two brands, just as they struggle to compete with them on the football pitch – but the board are keen to expand in this area, and any extra money generated by their American exposure will be a welcome bonus.

The Wearsiders also announced earlier this month that former Foreign Secretary David Miliband has agreed to become the club’s vice-chairman, and he will work to improve the club’s status internationally.

Meanwhile, John Mensah is tipping his fellow Ghanaian to become a pivotal piece in the Sunderland jigsaw between now and the end of the season.

Muntari has signed on loan from Inter Milan, but a deal is already in place to make that move permanent at the end of the season if both parties agree to it.

And Mensah is thrilled to have his international team-mate with him as he claimed the presence of three Ghana players on Wearside has already done wonders for the club’s reputation in Africa. With Benin international Stephane Sessegnon also at the club, the Black Cats have four players from that continent in their first-team squad, which has sent their popularity soaring.

Mensah said: “We all know Sulley played for Portsmouth and did well – helping them to win the FA Cup.

“Then he went to Inter and did well as well and has scored goals for the national team.

“It was Sunderland’s decision to bring him here, but they asked my opinion. He’s a great player and he’s starting to demonstrate that at Sunderland.”

Muntari is still a little short of match fitness and sharpness after he fell out of favour in Milan, but Mensah is convinced he will get better and better in red and white stripes.

He said: “When Sulley came, he didn’t have a lot of fitness. But he played against Stoke and then played for the national team last week.

“He’s going to still make a few mistakes because he’s not played many games. But I believe he’ll still show his quality while he is here.”

And Mensah added: “The whole of Ghana likes Sunderland now. I was getting calls in the dressing room after the Spurs game. They are all following Sunderland and I think they’re the most popular team in Ghana now.”

St. Louis checking in.

3 main footie bars here - Barrister's in Clayton (1st ring suburb just west of the City proper), The Scottish Arms in the Central West End, and The Amsterdam Tavern near Tower Grove Park.  All open early for matches, are mainly populated with ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea folks, with a nice smattering of other team's supporters as well.  Generally, it's a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

We have one of those faux Irish chain places now (a Tigrin) that I hear shows games, but I need a better beer (or whisky!) selection than they offer to get my ass out of bed that early.

Guest toonarmymia

St. Louis checking in.

3 main footie bars here - Barrister's in Clayton (1st ring suburb just west of the City proper), The Scottish Arms in the Central West End, and The Amsterdam Tavern near Tower Grove Park.  All open early for matches, are mainly populated with ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea folks, with a nice smattering of other team's supporters as well.  Generally, it's a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

We have one of those faux Irish chain places now (a Tigrin) that I hear shows games, but I need a better beer (or whisky!) selection than they offer to get my ass out of bed that early.

This is great. So many mags around the states. I think we need an updating list of US cities / bars / NUFC groups. nufc.com has a list, but most out of date. I'd be happy to link it on toonarmymiami website.

What about Canada?, whats places are good to watch Newcastle games in Toronto/Hamilton area?

Sometime last year (before finding this place), I found a website for NUFC gatherings in Toronto, but it was sadly out of date/defunct.

There's probably someplace in TO or the Hammer for Toon gatherings.  I just haven't been able to find it -- I'm blinded by all the cunts who walk around here in their brand new Chelsea scarves and hats.  Good lord I hate a lot of people in this town!

Baltimore Mags meet at Slainte in Fells Point. We've got a consistent crowd of 6, with occasionally a few people coming by on days that they can make it.  We sing and cheer pretty loudly.  Only other place in the world I would have wanted to be the day we drew Arsenal would have been at SJP.  It was awesome at our bar, and we were going apeshit.

I've got to get my act together and get down there before the season's over. Sounds like a great time.

Guest Heneage

I know I'm not miles from Baltimore but does anyone know anywhere in NOVA/DC Metro showing Bolton? I went to Luckys last time for Stoke but that was a Sunday.

I'm in Honolulu. Games start at an insane time over here, so doubt any bars shows PL games.

Is there any other mags living there?

Honofuckinglulu, never knew you were in honofuckinglulu......how on earth did you start following nufc ?  :lol:

Guest toonarmymia

Can we make this North America. I may be moving from Newcastle/Edinburgh to Edmonton, Alberta in the late summer (if i get onto the master's course i've applied for). I imagine there must be a fair few toon fans there but haven't found anything.

Its done

Guest toonarmymia

I know I'm not miles from Baltimore but does anyone know anywhere in NOVA/DC Metro showing Bolton? I went to Luckys last time for Stoke but that was a Sunday.

Went to DC years ago and met up with some mags north of the city in some bar. on toonarmydc.com it lists the downtown Fados pub as the place to watch.

Guest toonarmymia

Special note regarding the Bolton game on Saturday:

Most places are listing the game as 5pm EST tape delay

However, its on Fox Desportes at 12pm EST

and Foxsoccer.tv live at 10am (foxsoccer.tv has free trial for 7 days)

Fados in the city.  On the corner of H and 7th.  Get off at the Chinatown Metro stop (it's on the Red, Yellow, and Green lines).  They open up as early as 7am for matches.

What about Canada?, whats places are good to watch Newcastle games in Toronto/Hamilton area?

Sometime last year (before finding this place), I found a website for NUFC gatherings in Toronto, but it was sadly out of date/defunct.

There's probably someplace in TO or the Hammer for Toon gatherings.  I just haven't been able to find it -- I'm blinded by all the c***s who walk around here in their brand new Chelsea scarves and hats.  Good lord I hate a lot of people in this town!

I went to that bar a couple years ago and the woman behind the bar said that all the guys who ran the supporters club ended up getting married and having kids, so it just died out. I don't know of any place that NUFC fans can gather in Ontario. It would be cool to have a place to go when I'm down South, though, so if you find anything, please post it here.