Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Really can't see Rafa playing Almiron and Perez at the same time very regularly, it's not as glamorous on paper but the idea that he wouldn't play at least one winger just isn't realistic IMO.

Just seems harsh on Perez if he's dropped imo.

Really can't see Rafa playing Almiron and Perez at the same time very regularly, it's not as glamorous on paper but the idea that he wouldn't play at least one winger just isn't realistic IMO.

Why not, he's playing Atsu and Perez together, and played Perez and Kenedy together at Burnley. There's no reason Almiron can't play instead of Atsu.

In the 3-4-3/5-2-2-1 formation we use fyi.

If Almiron has come in to displace Perez rather than Atsu I'd seriously question the whole point of the signing. :lol: The latter is physically incapable of kicking the ball with more force than an infant. It's not as if he's played like a winger in this set-up anyway; he's a lot more left-of-centre with Ritchie overlapping.

It's about the balance of the team and knowing Rafa's tendencies. the team you posted but Atsu or Kenedy for Perez is what i think he'll do. Not really about Perez is more it is that Rafa will see it to be important to have some natural width alongside Almiron and Rondon.

If Almiron has come in to displace Perez rather than Atsu I'd seriously question the whole point of the signing. :lol: The latter is physically incapable of kicking the ball with more force than an infant. It's not as if he's played like a winger in this set-up anyway; he's a lot more left-of-centre with Ritchie overlapping.

Maybe, but I want to see Almiron behind Rondon in the #10 role. We don't really play with wingers and Atsu I don't actually think has done that badly in that quasi CM position, although he's so frustrating when on the ball most of the time. Nice headache for Rafa to have I suppose.

It's about the balance of the team and knowing Rafa's tendencies. the team you posted but Atsu or Kenedy for Perez is what i think he'll do. Not really about Perez is more it is that Rafa will see it to be important to have some natural width alongside Almiron and Rondon.

Maybe, but Almiron like you say has been bought as a #10. If we stick with the 5-3-1-1 I'm not sure where the width could come from aside from the wing backs.

Do people see Atsu and Perez as playing different positions? I see them as playing directly opposite each other to be honest.

Him and Perez go wide when we're out of possession and defending in low block in like a 5-4-1. When we're attacking we go to like a 5-3-1-1 with Perez behind Rondon and Atsu in like a sort of free(ish) role in front of Longstaff and Hayden, or 5-2-2-1 with the two of them either side of Rondon. It seems to vary.

Kenedy can't be trusted do anything right now. If we're replacing Perez what's the point? We've already signed and not bothered playing one lad who was supposed to do that

Point is if he's as good as reputation says he's significantly better lol, we haven't had a proper AM in years the rest doesn't really matter tbh. Honestly if he's as good as people who have watched him seems to think he is then he's someone we haven't had in forever and people are honestly underestimating the impact someone like that should have on the team.

Do people see Atsu and Perez as playing different positions? I see them as playing directly opposite each other to be honest.

Aye, in our 3 at the back formation they're playing basically as two 10's, it's what i'm seeing anyhoo.

This formation we're currently playing has been the making of Perez. IMO Almiron will displace Atsu. He and Ayoze will drop wide when in defense. If we go back to the 4-2-3-1 then Almiron will go back to being the #10 and I could def see Ayoze going out and playing wide.

It's such a shame Kenedy's form has plummeted so dramatically. Not a clue where he's ever going to fit in now.

Chelsea's reserves. Honestly, for me he's 3rd choice Left wing back and 5th choice for one of the two number 10 positions.

This formation we're currently playing has been the making of Perez. IMO Almiron will displace Atsu. He and Ayoze will drop wide when in defense. If we go back to the 4-2-3-1 then Almiron will go back to being the #10 and I could def see Ayoze going out and playing wide.

I'd probably argue for this for the Huddersfield and Burnley double header in a few weeks.

This i agree with, my opinion was more based on the current formation Rafa is using. I hope i'm wrong, but i have a feeling he will want a winger alongside Almiron even if they aren't playing there but have the ability to do it if necessary.

Think he will see it as having more tactical flexibility and width for balance, i mean he could prove me wrong but based on his history that's what i expect.

We don’t play with wingers as it is. Perez and Atsu play in the same role just on opposite sides

I don’t think tactics will change even as we add quality in attack. Difference is we’ll have more quality on the ball rather than keep surrendering possession and being forced back on the back foot. I still think we’d defend deep but with a better chance of hurting the opposition when we break.