Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

I think this post belongs here - the big optimism bit comes at the end!

I have thought about this at length and I now know what makes me the happiest about the takeover. For those here who haven't met me, I am from South London but support Newcastle because I was born there (solely because my parents happened to be in Newcastle when I was born unexpectedly early). So when I became football-conscious I chose Newcastle, and because my football childhood started with the early-mid-90s, I got really into it.

I liked being into something that nobody else around here knew about, so when I was old enough (the Robson era), I started travelling up on my own to watch games. The unexpected bonus of this was meeting loads of Geordies, and spending time in Newcastle as a city, and not just a place where the stadium is. That's what led to me finding N-O, and making some really great and close personal friends in the process. Newcastle was my first proper solo travel experience, and since the first time I actually looked around the place and spoke to people I have never stopped loving it. The whole place is optimistic, rebellious, always fun, beautiful both in nature and architecture, easy to get around as an outsider and, in my view, culturally unique.

The stereotypes associated with Geordies are true, I think. Everyone has always been welcoming, cheerful, empathetic, friendly and entirely down-to-earth. But what I really, really like about Geordies are 3 things: (i) the complete intolerance for bullshitters and cheats; (ii) the ability to laugh at themselves and (iii) that they're generally happy people. I think that's what makes me really love the city and region. I've now travelled to many different parts of the world and Newcastle, easily, still remains in my top 5 places.

So what makes me elated about this takeover is that I can't wait to go back and see my Geordie friends, and lots of other Geordies I can't wait to meet and celebrate with, back to their normal happy state. Anybody would have had their happiness reserves drained by Mike Ashley. Just a place where when I walk about, everyone is smiling, laughing, taking the p*ss out of one another - not like down here in London where everyone judges each other and is scared of each other now. I just can't wait for my first long weekend up there to see my friends, to watch the match, to get pleasantly mellow talking all things NUFC, to stroll around that beautiful and offbeat city and hear that great accent, to play in another 47-goal N-O meet-up thriller, go and take in the coast etc.

It's just a lovely thing and I can't wait to get back there and see it and feel it in remission from Ashley.

:love: this is lovely. You'll be welcomed back with open arms, I'm sure.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think this post belongs here - the big optimism bit comes at the end!

I have thought about this at length and I now know what makes me the happiest about the takeover. For those here who haven't met me, I am from South London but support Newcastle because I was born there (solely because my parents happened to be in Newcastle when I was born unexpectedly early). So when I became football-conscious I chose Newcastle, and because my football childhood started with the early-mid-90s, I got really into it.

I liked being into something that nobody else around here knew about, so when I was old enough (the Robson era), I started travelling up on my own to watch games. The unexpected bonus of this was meeting loads of Geordies, and spending time in Newcastle as a city, and not just a place where the stadium is. That's what led to me finding N-O, and making some really great and close personal friends in the process. Newcastle was my first proper solo travel experience, and since the first time I actually looked around the place and spoke to people I have never stopped loving it. The whole place is optimistic, rebellious, always fun, beautiful both in nature and architecture, easy to get around as an outsider and, in my view, culturally unique.

The stereotypes associated with Geordies are true, I think. Everyone has always been welcoming, cheerful, empathetic, friendly and entirely down-to-earth. But what I really, really like about Geordies are 3 things: (i) the complete intolerance for bullshitters and cheats; (ii) the ability to laugh at themselves and (iii) that they're generally happy people. I think that's what makes me really love the city and region. I've now travelled to many different parts of the world and Newcastle, easily, still remains in my top 5 places.

So what makes me elated about this takeover is that I can't wait to go back and see my Geordie friends, and lots of other Geordies I can't wait to meet and celebrate with, back to their normal happy state. Anybody would have had their happiness reserves drained by Mike Ashley. Just a place where when I walk about, everyone is smiling, laughing, taking the piss out of one another - not like down here in London where everyone judges each other and is scared of each other now. I just can't wait for my first long weekend up there to see my friends, to watch the match, to get pleasantly mellow talking all things NUFC, to stroll around that beautiful and offbeat city and hear that great accent, to play in another 47-goal N-O meet-up thriller, go and take in the coast etc.

It's just a lovely thing and I can't wait to get back there and see it and feel it in remission from Ashley.

Cockney wanker get out of your club.

Nah, that’s beautiful and this is what it’s all about, getting our club back  :love:

Glad I grew up in the 60’s with Joe Harvey.....Wyn Davies and Inter Cities Fairs Cup Runs.

Yes, I well remember the winning "Inter-Cities Fairs Cup" run of 1968/1969.

Then the "European Fairs Cup" runs over the following two seasons (1969/1970 and 1970/1971).

Newcastle%20United%20v%20Pecsi%20Dozsa%20PROGRAMME%20-%2021st%20October%201970_zps8lj9ofpq.jpg

Glad I grew up in the 60’s with Joe Harvey.....Wyn Davies and Inter Cities Fairs Cup Runs.

Then the "European Fairs Cup" runs over the following two seasons (1969/1970 and 1970/1971).

Newcastle%20United%20v%20Pecsi%20Dozsa%20PROGRAMME%20-%2021st%20October%201970_zps8lj9ofpq.jpg

Losing out to Anderlecht the previous season...losing the first leg 2-0 but 3-0 up late in the second half only for Anderlecht to score a late goal and winning on away goals rules....one of the worst feelings I’ve ever had in football.

I was lucky enough to to have a season ticket for the clock stand from ‘77 as a 7 year old. Being old enough to to be allowed to go on my own as a teenager for the Keegan first coming and as a young man on the lash during the second coming. Heart breaking for the new breed who have had nothing for the past decade. Can’t wait for the good times to roll again.

Losing out to Anderlecht the previous season...losing the first leg 2-0 but 3-0 up late in the second half only for Anderlecht to score a late goal and winning on away goals rules....one of the worst feelings I’ve ever had in football.

Yes, that Anderlecht Match. WHAT an atmosphere, so loud "United" / "United" / "United" endlessly.

Then, we had it won until Nordhal swiped at the ball with the foot he normally only used to stand on, and we (the holders) were OUT.

Me too, one of the worst feelings . . .

Guest reefatoon

Class that fellas, great memories. Was early 80s that I started going. The highs of Keegan, to the despair of players like George Riley later on. Man we have seen some sights.

Guest The Little Waster

Class that fellas, great memories. Was early 80s that I started going. The highs of Keegan, to the despair of players like George Riley later on. Man we have seen some sights.

Ah the six foot three squadron ...Tony Cunningham was Reillys other half

I just want today's kids in the 18-30 bracket to experience what we did from 92 to 97, where NUFC exploded onto the scene, coming from nowhere to becoming one of the highest profile clubs in the country. The buzz in the city was just fantastic.

I feel sorry for the poor sods who have grown up in the Ashley era. An utterly depressing experience throughout. It's time for them to see what this club is really about.

We'll not be exploding in the same way, it will be expected.

Not sure I agree with that. When we got promoted in 93 there was a definite feeling amongst the support that we were going to take the Premier League by storm in our first season. And we did.

Really ? My lot thought we were being brash by being confident of avoiding relegation

Yes, that Anderlecht Match. WHAT an atmosphere, so loud "United" / "United" / "United" endlessly.

Then, we had it won until Nordhal swiped at the ball with the foot he normally only used to stand on, and we (the holders) were OUT.

The whole ground was singing the Blaydon Races when Nordhai scored, devastating but best atmosphere ever 

If you can remember, in injury time The Mighty Wyn bundled the goalkeeper plus ball into the net...he was not in the air but standing on the line...I immediately looked at the ref and for a moment thought he’d allowed it....Ecstasy followed by depression in an instant.

I was lucky enough to to have a season ticket for the clock stand from ‘77 as a 7 year old. Being old enough to to be allowed to go on my own as a teenager for the Keegan first coming and as a young man on the lash during the second coming. Heart breaking for the new breed who have had nothing for the past decade. Can’t wait for the good times to roll again.

The clock stand marra?

My first game was against QPR at the end of the 77-78 relegation season. A 0-3 hammering, first time I'd heard my Dad swear.

I started supporting us in 1994. I don't remember anything specific but I remember idolising Rob Lee early on. He scored a lot of goals that season. Was also the same season that Cole was sold and we ended up with Kitson as our only striker. Grim :lol:. That next season though :smitten: My favourite football year ever.

The clock stand marra?

My first game was against QPR at the end of the 77-78 relegation season. A 0-3 hammering, first time I'd heard my Dad swear.

The old wooden west stand for grown-ups!

The clock stand marra?

The old wooden west stand for grown-ups!

Was always just known as the West Stand in my day. There was a Clock Stand at Roker Park.