Callum Wilson: back in full training (Downie)

Strawberry

And agree with the Defoe comparison around the 6-yard box. Haven’t seen the ‘one touch out of his feet then early shot’ that Defoe was class at from around the edge of the box yet, but he’s quality.

Don't really get the Defoe comparisons, I mean Wilson does get in the 6 yard box for the tap ins, but all good strikers should be doing that. I'm actually more happy about his hold up play and clever touches for team mates, means you can play him up top by himself, which I'm not sure was the case with Defoe.

I thought Defoe’s all round game was canny. He wasn’t strong but if the ball was into feet back to goal, he was more than decent at laying off to a team mate.

Fair enough, Defoe was probably a better goal scorer, fantastic finisher that's for sure, but Wilson offers a bit more physical strength so just a bit more in the sense of a genuine target man I'd say.

I think Defoe in his prime was better than Wilson I'm almost every department. The problem for Defoe was that he made some horrific career choices and none of the top sides gave him the chance. He would have scored hat fulls for most league winning premier league sides but he was always seen as too small, at the time.

Wilson needs to have a couple of good seasons scoring regularly to be really talked about as a really good PL striker.

His attitude is class. Looks proper hungry.

I think Defoe in his prime was better than Wilson I'm almost every department. The problem for Defoe was that he made some horrific career choices and none of the top sides gave him the chance. He would have scored hat fulls for most league winning premier league sides but he was always seen as too small, at the time.

Wilson needs to have a couple of good seasons scoring regularly to be really talked about as a really good PL striker.

His attitude is class. Looks proper hungry.

Yeah. The thing with Defoe is how clubs utilise him. Smaller clubs buy him for his prolific scoring, and if he's not in the box, somebody else is. Whenever I saw him for England he looked far more like a complete forward.

• 3 weeks later...

He seems out of place in this team. Most our players seem slow And ponderous, no idea about gamesmanship, don’t get stuck in and certainly don’t score many. He’s the opposite. Really impressed by his all round game. Had him down as more of a poacher with a bit of pace.

He was anonymous for the first hour, Joelinton actually showed a lot more in that period in general play, but he got better as the game opened up. The finish was phenomenal. That sort of skill of finding the tiny gap to steer the ball through is underappreciated. Keeper saves those a lot of times, it was really canny how he just wrong-footed the goalie.