Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Wonder what would happen if this proposal went through, and then by some miracle, Newcastle (or some other team not deemed worthy of “big-six” recognition) won the league. Would the powers that be just decide to null and void the season.

Or, would they have the referees in their pocket too, and that would make it easier for something like that to never happen.

I'm sure LiVARpool would never stoop to such things. We all know that goal line tech has never failed.

This is an absolute mess and wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was a factor in putting off the likes of PIF from coming back in.

Uncertainty basically. Yes they were investing in the club but the club in the top league. You can’t really separate the two.

If it went through then all the non special status PL clubs should just field the reserves or not contest their matches  against the ‘big six’ ruin the league.

:thup: Essentially a working strike. Let the pricks realise the whole reason they're in the position they're in is the competition from the teams trying to punch upwards.

I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy watching the TV deals plummet when everyone's bored off their tits seeing them pummel everyone else's U23s.

i'd love the "big 6" to leave and join a european super league.

their tv income would be huge, but they could definitley see crowds dwindling and half empty stadia.

a few years down the line and they be begging to rejoin.

i'd love the "big 6" to leave and join a european super league.

their tv income would be huge, but they could definitley see crowds dwindling and half empty stadia.

a few years down the line and they be begging to rejoin.

Some of em would get battered most weeks n'all, like some scaled-up relegation fodder. See how much they enjoy that.

Not sure they'd be begging to rejoin like. A lot of the fans would lose interest because some clubs that dominated or did well in their country would become the dog shit of the league, but they'd be extremely well compensated for it. The money would be insane. The league we'd be left in would be making fuck all and clubs would be feeling immense strain from that loss of finances. Take the top 5 or 6 out. The rest of of us would be earning Championship money if not less without the draw of the PL.

Winning the league would mean fuck all as well. Lets say we won that league, are we champions of England when clubs in Manchester, Liverpool and London are in the super league with some of the worlds best players in their squad? Not a hope, we'd be fake champions of England, the best English teams are in the super league.

Not sure they'd be begging to rejoin like. A lot of the fans would lose interest because some clubs that dominated or did well in their country would become the dog s*** of the league, but they'd be extremely well compensated for it. The money would be insane. The league we'd be left in would be making f*** all and clubs would be feeling immense strain from that loss of finances. Take the top 5 or 6 out. The rest of of us would be earning Championship money if not less without the draw of the PL.

Winning the league would mean f*** all as well. Lets say we won that league, are we champions of England when clubs in Manchester, Liverpool and London are in the super league with some of the worlds best players in their squad? Not a hope, we'd be fake champions of England, the best English teams are in the super league.

Good post, I agree with Decky here.

It maybe ok for those who want to see football return to a pre premier league era but Southampton vs West ham being a big game in said hypothetically situation doesn’t exactly get pulses racing.

I have to admit I wouldn't care a lot if the "Big Six" fucked off to form a Euro Super League. I've found it amusing as a thought experiment since it was floated in the 90s.

I like to think about FAs, having lost a lot of revenue, banning players from international competitions. Suddenly, some players might think twice about joining if it means never representing their country.

I wet myself thinking about Tottenham joining a closed Euro League and fighting it out with Atalanta and Moenchengladbach for last place. Such a competition would be so rich none of the clubs would ever go bust, but it's nice to imagine Tottenham suddenly being one of the teams the big clubs have to prop up.

We have a closed league for our domestic football as well as our native code, and it's awful the way so many poor clubs bumble along with no consequences for mismanagement. Imagine the PL was closed, and Sunderland or WBA were the turd that couldn't be flushed.

Let them have their multi-billion extravaganza. Unlike Decky, I have no problem with being English Champions after six teams are expelled/leave the league. And I disagree with r0cafella too, because a title match is still a title match if James and Ings are making the highlights instead of de Bruyne or Salah

Also, am I the only person who doesn't have a problem with reducing the PL to 18 teams? As we saw last season, there's quite a bit of dross in the top flight, and there's a case for saying it would be more competitive if some of the fat was trimmed. A more competitive Championship would also make teams that come up stronger and more competitive in the PL.

Of course, that means two more teams in the FL, which causes its own problems...

Also, am I the only person who doesn't have a problem with reducing the PL to 18 teams? As we saw last season, there's quite a bit of dross in the top flight, and there's a case for saying it would be more competitive if some of the fat was trimmed. A more competitive Championship would also make teams that come up stronger and more competitive in the PL.

Of course, that means two more teams in the FL, which causes its own problems...

Well the proposals actually see’s 2 less teams in the league structure.

Also let’s go back a couple of years ago when the protests at NUFC were in full swing. The protest groups were very mindful of the fact that a boycott of matches would have adverse consequences for local businesses. A big part of the protests was to go to local businesses in Newcastle instead, so as to not have them adversely affected.

We just need to look at what is happening to these businesses right now with no fans attending games. Having 2 less games may not seem like a lot, but multiply that across the league and it’s quite a bit of money coming out local areas, just so the big clubs are happy.

A purely selfish thing but one of the things I loved about the championship was that the games came thick and fast.

Fewer teams means fewer games and I fear i'd become even more detached if we weren't in action as much.

A purely selfish thing but one of the things I loved about the championship was that the games came thick and fast.

Fewer teams means fewer games and I fear i'd become even more detached if we weren't in action as much.

They're talking about fucking off the League Cup as well, so the plebs of the PL would only play 35 games a season if they got knocked out of the FA Cup in round 3.

Not sure they'd be begging to rejoin like. A lot of the fans would lose interest because some clubs that dominated or did well in their country would become the dog s*** of the league, but they'd be extremely well compensated for it. The money would be insane. The league we'd be left in would be making f*** all and clubs would be feeling immense strain from that loss of finances. Take the top 5 or 6 out. The rest of of us would be earning Championship money if not less without the draw of the PL.

Winning the league would mean f*** all as well. Lets say we won that league, are we champions of England when clubs in Manchester, Liverpool and London are in the super league with some of the worlds best players in their squad? Not a hope, we'd be fake champions of England, the best English teams are in the super league.

We didn't earn Championship money when we were in the Championship so no I don't think we would in this situation either.  Other clubs would.  But I think over time things would change.  Fans dwindling from these super league clubs would inevitably mean TV money dwindling in the long term.  While the teams left in a genuine competitive domestic league would slowly grow. Long term I agree they'd want to rejoin.  Just my opinion but I think the entire idea of a super league is flawed and would fail long term

We didn't earn Championship money when we were in the Championship so no I don't think we would in this situation either.  Other clubs would.  But I think over time things would change.  Fans dwindling from these super league clubs would inevitably mean TV money dwindling in the long term.  While the teams left in a genuine competitive domestic league would slowly grow. Long term I agree they'd want to rejoin.  Just my opinion but I think the entire idea of a super league is flawed and would fail long term

I think over 50% of the tv money is for the overseas deals. I have a strong suspicion this is to watch Man U, Liverpool etc.

Imho we would see a massive reduction of money in the English game should the top 6 form a European super league.

Sadly we’ve created a league where money is all that counts. Even if they were to leave this wouldn’t change that fact it would just lead to an inferior product.

Just can't see how a super league would work.  Genuinely think it would die on its arse pretty quickly.

People might be excited for a season or two, but a large proportion of non Big Six fans wouldn't watch (I certainly wouldn't - I barely watch the Champions League now) and I think Big Six fans would find it relatively dull after a while.