Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

Guest firetotheworks

It just shows how much a player is judged on their last performance. Manquillo was fine yesterday, Atsu was terrible, and suddenly Atsu's our worst player.

I feel weird even criticising the players when the problem is clearly the choice that lead to players of that level being signed, and rarely is the problem their own effort and application.

It just shows how much a player is judged on their last performance. Manquillo was fine yesterday, Atsu was terrible, and suddenly Atsu's our worst player.

I feel weird even criticising the players when the problem is clearly the choice that lead to players of that level being signed, and rarely is the problem their own effort and application.

I've always thought Atsu was fairly terrible mind. He makes the wrong decisions like all the time, and very rarely shows anything other than pace.

I agree with the rest though :thup:

I never really think a player isn't trying their best, some of ours like Atsu, Manquillo, Clark, Darlow and such are not good enough, and why Rafa wanted money to spend on better players who make better decisions, who would bring better quality.

Guest firetotheworks

I've always thought Atsu was fairly terrible mind. He makes the wrong decisions like all the time, and very rarely shows anything other than pace.

I agree with the rest though :thup:

I liked him in the Championship, but agree that this is beyond his level. As with a lot of them, they're putting the work in but they're just not good enough.

I'm hoping Muto and Perez can get something going, because we'll really need a spine that extends further than Dubravka, Lascelles, Shelvey if we're gonna stay up.

He doesn't even use his pace very effectively. He always has to try and beat a man twice, I can barely remember a time where he's out paced someone for us.

I'm not convinced he was even that good in the Championship, he couldn't displace Gouffran for a lot of the season. I thought his best period for us was the first half of last season, West Ham (a) and two Stoke games stick in the mind

Spending money doesn't guarantee the player will perform but it certainly raises the odds significantly.  Spending the barest minimum pretty much guarantees those same odds are against you.

He's a £6.75m player performing like a £6.75m player, just like Joselu and all the other bargain bin cast offs we've got.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had written this lad off but have to say he was excellent against Everton. always involved, creative and actually tackling back leaving opponents Writhing in a heap on a couple of occasions although their play acting was outrageous. No wonder half our team was booked. If Atsu can maintain this level of performance he could stay in the side.

I had written this lad off but have to say he was excellent against Everton. always involved, creative and actually tackling back leaving opponents Writhing in a heap on a couple of occasions although their play acting was outrageous. No wonder half our team was booked. If Atsu can maintain this level of performance he could stay in the side.

He's always been incapable of maintaining the level of performance he's capable of. Way too inconsistent to be relied on.

From the match thread it sounded like he missed a sitter at the end, it was actually a decent strike on the half volley from the edge of the penalty area. Could have hit it a bit harder if I was nit-picking, but hitting it first time he was probably trying to ensure accuracy.

From the match thread it sounded like he missed a sitter at the end, it was actually a decent strike on the half volley from the edge of the penalty area. Could have hit it a bit harder if I was nit-picking, but hitting it first time he was probably trying to ensure accuracy.

It was his other chance they were on about

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s in the same boat as Murphy, he needs a run of games. As a winger you have to attack, cross, try and create and be a goal threat. It’s hard to do that coming off the bench or starting 1 game in whatever and because of the way we play, there is an over reliance or rather a bigger importance/expectation/demand he does something when he does come on or start.