Bury FC expelled from the EFL

Disco

Absolutely fucking shocking.

Once more a town, club, supporters and wider populace have to deal with the criminal mis-management of a charlatan ably abetted by the authorities who couldn't give a shit as long as they’re getting paid.

Guest neesy111

Considering the amount of administrations they have happened over the last 2 decades, I'm surprised more clubs haven't went out of business.

Any links to the background of what happened ?

Been speaking to a Mansfiled fan who though sorry for them, says they've brought it on themselves with wages they could t afford in attempt to win promotion etc.

Guest neesy111

Been speaking to a Mansfiled fan who though sorry for them, says they've brought it on themselves with wages they could t afford in attempt to win promotion etc.

Mismangement, shoddy ownership etc.  They probably should have been given more time, but their problems have been known for over 6 months now.

It's awful for fans, town, players and staff of Bury, but imo too many clubs have been getting away with shambolic management for too long and exploiting the insolvency laws.  More regulation etc is needed and authorities need to set-up funds for stafff etc.

From what I can gather the owner bought them for a quid, invested money that wasn’t there to go up to get a better price and tried to sell but couldn’t get rid. An owner who has a history of running things into the ground.

That's basically it. Shoddy ownership has seen them pay players way above what they should be in the hope of securing promotion. Money they don't really have.

Andy Holt, the Accrington chairman, has been very vocal about it. He acknowledges the owners are partly to blame but he's accused the EFL of doing fuck all to help - sitting back and letting it happen rather than send in a team of proper football administrators to try and rectify things.

Considering the amount of administrations they have happened over the last 2 decades, I'm surprised more clubs haven't went out of business.

Most clubs in the EFL are a fucking mess once owner cash (at their whim which isn’t stable) is taken away. PL fall out.

Of course "they've" brought it on "themselves" - but the question English football now faces is: who are "they"? Bury FC and the rogue who happens to own them should not be one and the same but because the FA have taken their eye off the ball, they now are, just like Newcastle United and Mike Ashley are one and the same.

Instead of ensuring that football clubs are protected organisations, valuable to communities, the game in this country has been sold to the highest bidder. Anyone who wants a club and has enough money can have one, regardless of motive or intention. We'll likely see a lot more of this as the Chinese conglomerates that own half the Championship get bored of finishing 14th and the Del Boy businessmen who own clubs further down the pyramid realise there's less and less money in it as more kids grow up interested only in the Premier League and the Champions League.

David Conn wrote this in the Guardian today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/26/bury-britain-gigg-lane-brexit

This paragraph had me shaking my head in disbelief:

At Bury itself, loans now up to £3.7m, secured on Gigg Lane, were taken from an outfit called Capital Bridging Finance Solutions, based in Crosby, with 40% commissions paid to still-unnamed third parties as introduction fees. The publicly filed documents state that Capital in turn mortgaged Bury’s ground to a company registered in Malta, whose own lenders for the deal were eight companies domiciled in the offshore tax haven of the British Virgin Islands. Perhaps you have to know and have been to Gigg Lane, a football haven amid terraced streets just off Manchester Road, to feel in your guts the ludicrous nature of such house-of-cards economics.

Of course "they've" brought it on "themselves" - but the question English football now faces is: who are "they"? Bury FC and the rogue who happens to own them should not be one and the same but because the FA have taken their eye off the ball, they now are, just like Newcastle United and Mike Ashley are one and the same.

Instead of ensuring that football clubs are protected organisations, valuable to communities, the game in this country has been sold to the highest bidder. Anyone who wants a club and has enough money can have one, regardless of motive or intention. We'll likely see a lot more of this as the Chinese conglomerates that own half the Championship get bored of finishing 14th and the Del Boy businessmen who own clubs further down the pyramid realise there's less and less money in it as more kids grow up interested only in the Premier League and the Champions League.

It’s the country in a current nutshell, is the person running it making money?

Yes - good, ignore all else

No - why should I give a fuck, not my problem

David Conn wrote this in the Guardian today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/26/bury-britain-gigg-lane-brexit

This paragraph had me shaking my head in disbelief:

At Bury itself, loans now up to £3.7m, secured on Gigg Lane, were taken from an outfit called Capital Bridging Finance Solutions, based in Crosby, with 40% commissions paid to still-unnamed third parties as introduction fees. The publicly filed documents state that Capital in turn mortgaged Bury’s ground to a company registered in Malta, whose own lenders for the deal were eight companies domiciled in the offshore tax haven of the British Virgin Islands. Perhaps you have to know and have been to Gigg Lane, a football haven amid terraced streets just off Manchester Road, to feel in your guts the ludicrous nature of such house-of-cards economics.

Great article.

I’m a free market capitalist but even I fail to understand the way football in England operates. The FA/EFL simply had to create a regulatory framework within which ownership can change hands but ultimately the league has a say in protecting its own brand and customers (the fans). The US sports have done this really well, seemingly.

The idea of publishing finances is a great one, it should at least start there!

I don't believe in other clubs gifting funds to rescue another club, but - just as a demonstration of the disparity in finances - if every Premier League club contributed 0.0019% of their total 'winnings' from the end of last season, Bury would be more than comfortably in the clear. With the obscene money sloshing around the game, how can this happen? Bury had attendances between ~4-7k all last season. Now it'll be never again.

Ah well, at least SSN got to sensationalise the gripping drama with a big clock and a daft mug ringing the doomsday bell.

I don't believe in other clubs gifting funds to rescue another club, but - just as a demonstration of the disparity in finances - if every Premier League club contributed 0.0019% of their total 'winnings' from the end of last season, Bury would be more than comfortably in the clear. With the obscene money sloshing around the game, how can this happen? Bury had attendances between ~4-7k all last season. Now it'll be never again.

Ah well, at least SSN got to sensationalise the gripping drama with a big clock and a daft mug ringing the doomsday bell.

I *believe* clubs can't just give money to other clubs to bail it out willy nilly - seen it mentioned a couple of times.

But there would a million and one loopholes no doubt, buy the groundsmans rake for 100k.

How do you prove motive or intention ?