Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 3 weeks later...

What’s the standard for determining who gets a CL winner’s medal? Everybody in the senior squad? Only players who made appearances? Does Karius get one this year even though he’s been on loan?

What’s the standard for determining who gets a CL winner’s medal? Everybody in the senior squad? Only players who made appearances? Does Karius get one this year even though he’s been on loan?

This article and others suggest that the winners and losers get forty medals each, to hand out to players and coaching staff at their discretion:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/3452273/could-philippe-coutinho-get-a-medal-if-liverpool-win-the-champions-league

In terms of best right this very second then it'd be Hazard, Bernie Silva, N'Golo Kanté or Mbappé.

Currently playing but most storied would be Pogba, Chiellini, Bonucci etc.

Is finishing 7th not failure?

A team that finishes 7th is more worthy of a european place imo considering it's over a 38 game season.  I don't know of any other country that gave the runners up of their main cup competition a place in europe if the winner was already qualified.

7th is less than 2/3rds of the way up the table, it's not a massive success. I'd rather the cup finalists get it not only for merit but also because it might mean we don't just see the same teams in Europe all the time,give some lower teams a shot at it.

It's called the Champions League for a reason.

Oh hang on, haven't taken my meds yet.

It's actually quite laughable that the European Cup was for European champions, only. But they changed it to the European Champions League and let anybody in.

First the move from knockout to league formats, then the non-champion entrants...

For me, it all comes back to Galatasaray beating Man Yoo in the mid 90s - then establishing the Fergie era - for big clubs to say "that shit ain't right" and the whole competition changed. Fourth placed clubs from "big" nations were suddenly drawn against champions of minnow nations who would never again get past the qualifying round.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone apply for Euro 2020 tickets?

Just got my email to tell me I have been allocated a few tickets. When I did the application I took a broad brush and applied for loads. I've been allocated four matches and it would appear that I can either pay for all (so, several hundred pounds' worth) or none. Do I have that right?

Did anyone apply for Euro 2020 tickets?

Just got my email to tell me I have been allocated a few tickets. When I did the application I took a broad brush and applied for loads. I've been allocated four matches and it would appear that I can either pay for all (so, several hundred pounds' worth) or none. Do I have that right?

Yeah, that's how they're doing it this year, you have to buy all those allocated to you or none.

Not had an email about my application though.

Got absolutely no idea but potentially yeah. They've changed it from last time out.

Didn't get any of the games I applied for so will have to try again when they release more...annoying.

You got them for random places like?

It's actually quite laughable that the European Cup was for European champions, only. But they changed it to the European Champions League and let anybody in.

First the move from knockout to league formats, then the non-champion entrants...

For me, it all comes back to Galatasaray beating Man Yoo in the mid 90s - then establishing the Fergie era - for big clubs to say "that shit ain't right" and the whole competition changed. Fourth placed clubs from "big" nations were suddenly drawn against champions of minnow nations who would never again get past the qualifying round.

The CL completely screws 'minnow nations'.  One team makes it anywhere near the group stage and overnight they have a bigger budget than the entire league put together.

Got absolutely no idea but potentially yeah. They've changed it from last time out.

Didn't get any of the games I applied for so will have to try again when they release more...annoying.

Two Bucharest games, one in Amsterdam, one in St Petersburg. £320.

Two Bucharest games, one in Amsterdam, one in St Petersburg. £320.

Only an 18 day walk between Amsterdam and St Petersburg :thup: