Other clubs’ stadiums

Disco

How do you move a row of houses, short of flattening them?

slowly, brick by brick

that's what I was told by some guy at St James a few years ago, anyway.  Assuming you're talking about leazes terrace

Leazes Terrace is a Grade 1 Listed Building. To give an idea of what Grade 1 means in terms of significance, roughly 90% of all Listed Buildings are Grade 2, about 7% are Grade 2* and only about 3% are Grade 1. They are buildings of exceptional significance. There is no realistic prospect of Listed Building Consent ever being granted to move it, which would inevitably harm its significance.

Aside for that, it's f***ing massive, it would probably cost hundreds of millions of pounds to do. It is never going to happen. Nor should it, it's a stunning building that I beam with pride is part of my city every time I walk past it.

I'm sure the lefties wouldn't object to a few scaffolding bars nailed to it so we can get a few more in on match days

The first implosion will break metal beams at the perimeter of the stadium that were used to keep the roof inflated.

The rest of the demolition will be done in phases during the next year with the use of hydraulic excavators followed by a vacuuming process to pick up the broken materials imo.

It was supposed to implode, it didn't. Approx 10% of the explosive didn't go off, they still expect it to fall but just don't know when.

The first implosion will break metal beams at the perimeter of the stadium that were used to keep the roof inflated.

The rest of the demolition will be done in phases during the next year with the use of hydraulic excavators followed by a vacuuming process to pick up the broken materials imo.

It was supposed to implode, it didn't. Approx 10% of the explosive didn't go off, they still expect it to fall but just don't know when.

Sounds like you've got a demolitionary hot potato on your hands there my friend

How do you move a row of houses, short of flattening them?

slowly, brick by brick

that's what I was told by some guy at St James a few years ago, anyway.  Assuming you're talking about leazes terrace

Leazes Terrace is a Grade 1 Listed Building. To give an idea of what Grade 1 means in terms of significance, roughly 90% of all Listed Buildings are Grade 2, about 7% are Grade 2* and only about 3% are Grade 1. They are buildings of exceptional significance. There is no realistic prospect of Listed Building Consent ever being granted to move it, which would inevitably harm its significance.

Aside for that, it's f***ing massive, it would probably cost hundreds of millions of pounds to do. It is never going to happen. Nor should it, it's a stunning building that I beam with pride is part of my city every time I walk past it.

Looks shit, would tear down.

is that the stand where the away fans are usually at?

They're lengthening the pitch according to FIFA and UEFA standards? Their new era with Woy might be in the Championship though.

That new stand would make all 4 stands so different to each other in design and size.

Guest Howaythetoon

CP stadium design looks canny, but it’s in quite a residential area isn’t it?

Plenty of space, just got a carpark behind that stand

j3sSPD4.jpg

This looks doable then, what will their capacity be once finished if finished? I do like Sellhurst Park, it’s old school and there is usually a cracking atmosphere. Last time I was there was in our first Championship season and we took far too many away fans and the game was delayed, it was very cramped it the away end entering, exiting and trying to get to the bogs etc. Views weren’t the best either as we were kind of at the back of the stand. Great weekend though, sunshine, that banana strip and a 2-0 win.

CP stadium design looks canny, but it’s in quite a residential area isn’t it?

Plenty of space, just got a carpark behind that stand

j3sSPD4.jpg

This looks doable then, what will their capacity be once finished if finished? I do like Sellhurst Park, it’s old school and there is usually a cracking atmosphere. Last time I was there was in our first Championship season and we took far too many away fans and the game was delayed, it was very cramped it the away end entering, exiting and trying to get to the bogs etc. Views weren’t the best either as we were kind of at the back of the stand. Great weekend though, sunshine, that banana strip and a 2-0 win.

The project, which is expected to cost between £75-£100m, will increase the capacity at Selhurst Park from 26,000 to more than 34,000

Key features of the redevelopment include:

Capacity in the new stand will increase from around 5,400 to 13,500, with more than 10,700 General Admission seats - an increase of around 6,000 on existing numbers

Improved facilities for supporters with disabilities and a substantial increase in wheelchair spaces, making Selhurst Park compliant with Accessible Stadia Guidelines

A bigger pitch, increased from 101.5m x 68, to 105m x68m, making Selhurst Park compliant with UEFA regulations and eligible to host tournament football

Premium hospitality and entertainment facilities for more than 2,500 supporters, including a new Tunnel Club, and between 16-28 boxes, which will give members a unique vantage point as the players prepare for the match and conduct post-match interviews

A new museum, documenting the club’s rich history and its place in the South London community

New community facilities, supplementing the work of the Palace for Life Foundation, which delivers health, education and sporting programmes for more than 13,500 local children and young adults

Improved sightlines in the Arthur Wait Stand with the removal of the TV gantry, and improved Arthur Wait concourse

Redevelopment of the upper Whitehorse Lane Boxes into mixed bar/box use

Guest Howaythetoon

Cheers. That seems a reasonable increase that and I imagine they could well fill it as they have always been generally well supported.

Guest firetotheworks

DQNXZeVW0AEo8R9.jpg

Crystal_Palace_General_view_from_Water_Temple.jpg

Uncanny!

As an aside, I love that William Morris found the Crystal Palace so gaudy that he had to run outside and be sick in a bush when he first arrived. :lol:

DQNXZeVW0AEo8R9.jpg

Has a bit of a modernist art deco look to it. Not of my taste but it doesn't look bad at all imo.

I'm more of a Craven Cottage style stadium person than these new bowl-style designs. Would like to see someone have a good go and designing a stadium which harks back to that old late 1800's early 1900's style but with a modern touch.

I'm with Dave on this, like.

I said already in this thread that west ham fans would regret moving in under a decade, I reckon most would admit already that they should have stayed put. I don't know enough about Atletico but it wouldn't surprise me if their fans feel or grow to feel the same. Leaving our stadium and it's location would be absolutely criminal, imo.

I would hate to move out of the city centre.

Me too.

I'm reckon we could possibly do something with the East Stand to increase capacity, without affecting Leazes Terrace. Knock it down completely and build it much higher with a steeper angle...could even possibly make it two tier.

It only holds something like 5000 ffs

Leazes terrace has a "right to light" though. Make the east stand taller and it'd infringe

'Right to light' is a civil law matter that is for the affected property owner to enforce through the courts, or not. If it would infringe, the club could potentially come to an compensatory arrangement with the University.

Loss of light is a consideration in planning applications. Each Council tends to assess it in different way depending on their adopted policy, guidance or just established rules of thumb. No idea how Newcastle go about it, just tried to access their SPDs to see but I can't download them.