Other clubs’ stadiums

Disco

Could absolutely do both we have a filthy rich owner. I'm not having it.

Not even that, we are a Premier League team, we are filthy rich in our own right. If Shepard and co could expand SJP to what it is today 15 years ago, then we should be more than capable of finishing the expansion off and refurbishing it.

A bigger capacity would be taken up by increase away support (at least for big teams with a big away following), cheap tickets, and even community tickets.

Would it be the Stand or end that has the capability of being expanded?

I'm assuming by stand you mean the East stand, and by end you mean the Gallowgate.

Only the Gallowgate can be extended.

Ah okay so the east stand with the Newcastle United on top of the roof is restricted bc of the student housing right?

It's only part student housing yes, but that building is a fine example of Georgian architecture.

Ah okay so the east stand with the Newcastle United on top of the roof is restricted bc of the student housing right?

It's only part student housing yes, but that building is a fine example of Georgian architecture.

I thought it was the architecture that was the issue, not the student aspect right?

I thought it was the architecture that was the issue, not the student aspect right?

Absolutely but not to be confused with the raft of cheap, horrible, plastic student accommodation cropping up all over the city (and the other side of SJP!).

It's a constraint to further expansion but just adds to the character of the ground being adjacent to such a magnificent example of Georgian architecture which is Grade I listed.

Absolutely but not to be confused with the raft of cheap, horrible, plastic student accommodation cropping up all over the city (and the other side of SJP!).

It's a constraint to further expansion but just adds to the character of the ground being adjacent to such a magnificent example of Georgian architecture which is Grade I listed.

:thup:

Aye, though in this day and age to you would imagine there's ways to expand that without fucking with the houses too much. Might be a much smaller job than the Gallowgate if so tbh as expanding that will be a huge piece of work afaik.

There are right to light laws though. Expanding the east stand = making it higher = blocking light to the building behind, which isnt allowed. IIRC the only way to expand the east stand would be move the listed building to another site and rebuild it, brick by brick

I might be one of few who doesn't want SJP to be extended until we are challenging/winning titles every season and selling out every week, but that doesn't exactly look like happening any time soon.

Do you guys really value the Georgian architecture? Or would you rather see SJP expanded?

I don't think anybodys too arsed about that row of houses. But the only thing that's getting them shifted is an arsonist.

I might be one of few who doesn't want SJP to be extended until we are challenging/winning titles every season and selling out every week, but that doesn't exactly look like happening any time soon.

Well of course not, not really sure anyone is saying spend 100m on extending the stadium while still aiming for 8th and playing Mike Williamson.

Guest chicken little

Do you guys really value the Georgian architecture? Or would you rather see SJP expanded?

I don't think anybodys too arsed about that row of houses.

i am tbh

The stadium doesn't need extending at all, imo. It's a fabulous stadium that has been totally bastardised by all the advertising, and needs a wedge spent on being spruced-up. It also needs to host some good football for a change - it can generate noise no problem.

Like every single other cell of the club's anatomy, it needs rid of Ashley, basically.

i am tbh

Me too, I feel proud of the my beautiful city every time I walk up to St. James' through those Georgian streets. How many other stadiums are in those sort of surroundings? (only Arsenal maybe)

It's part of the soul of the club.

No, you're exactly right. Like I said before, there's no point in going up to 60,000, and only having ~50,000 turn up every week. Until we can fill what we have, there's absolutely no point

i am tbh

Me too, I feel proud of the my beautiful city every time I walk up to St. James' through those Georgian streets. How many other stadiums are in those sort of surroundings? (only Arsenal maybe)

Hey fair play lads. If things had gone the way we wanted twenty years ago and we were now challenging every year I'd prefer to see the east stand expanded. But as we're currently crap then it's irrelevant really.

I'm bothered about the houses, it even still bothers me that the back of the east stand looks so awful and out of place.

With the possibility of the Gallowayte increasing capacity to 60k-62k, then the houses aren't any real problem with our ground, in fact keeping the east stand small adds character to the stadium.

i am tbh

:thup:

Also agree with Yorkie, the ground is plenty big enough and I like the lopsided nature of it. Makes it even more unique. Just needs a refurbish.