Federico Fernández (now playing for Elche)

sempuki

If we get this guy he is better than Alfie Mawson btw. Now Mawson is playing at Fulham but at a similar age Federico was at the world cup in 2014 where his team lost to Germany in the final.

Playing in a big match at a young age isn’t exactly indicative of quality. Renato Sanches had an utterly fantastic Euros tournament, one of the best ever for a young player. Last season he was awful for Swansea.

Realistically all that matters to us is whether a player has been half decent recently and whether they can fit into Rafa’s plans.

He also has Champions League football with Napoli. What you on about? He knows Rafa's system and the EPL. What has Mawson done to earn a £20m move by comparison? We have got the better deal.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/magpies-sign-defender-fern%C3%A1ndez

Federico Fernández has become Newcastle United’s seventh signing of the summer after arriving at St. James’ Park in a deadline day move from Swansea City.

The 29-year-old Argentine - who played under Rafa Benítez at Napoli - has won 32 full caps for his country and has put pen to paper on an initial two-year contract after the Magpies agreed an undisclosed fee with the Swans.

He began his career in his homeland with Estudiantes before moving to Napoli in 2011.

He won the Copa Italia with Gli Azzurri in 2014 as well as playing in the Champions League.

Fernández signed for Swansea in the summer of 2014 and made more than 100 Premier League appearances for the Welsh club.

Speaking about his arrival on Tyneside, Fernández said: "It was a long day but I’m really happy to be here.

"It’s a new challenge in my life and I’m very excited to meet all the players and staff here."

Manager Benítez added: "I know Federico well from our time together at Napoli and it was an easy decision to bring him here.

"He is experienced, a very good professional and he will add competition in defence."

The player will wear the number 18 shirt for Newcastle United and will be eligible to face Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

Rondon Ki and Fernandez our new spine, all relegated last season. :lol:

Can't see Ki starting ahead of Diame or Shelvey.

I can see Ki starting ahead of Diame. Plus wont Diame be go for awhile for AFCON or do I have that wrong?

Rondon Ki and Fernandez our new spine, all relegated last season. :lol:

Can't see Ki starting ahead of Diame or Shelvey.

I can see Ki starting ahead of Diame. Plus wont Diame be go for awhile for AFCON or do I have that wrong?

Let me say, 2nd half Diame in that form probably starts. Diame does seem to spells of questionable play. Fortunately I dont think that has shown himself since playing a deeper role. Also we are likely an Ayoze injury away from all 3 starting especially on away days.