Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

how come the PL haven’t withdrawn Roman Abramovich’s fit and proper status? As he no longer has the right to live and work in the U.K., I thought that was one of the tests of the O&D test.

How can you withdraw a fit and proper status?

F.6.

Upon the Board becoming aware by virtue of the submission of a Declaration or in the circumstances referred to in Rule F.5 or by any other means that a Person is liable to be disqualified as a Director under the provisions of Rule F.1, the Board will:

F.6.1. give written notice to the Person that he is disqualified, giving reasons therefore, and (in the case of a Person who is a Director) require him forthwith to resign as a Director; and

F.6.2. give written notice to the relevant Club that the Person is disqualified, giving reasons therefore, and (in the case of a Person who is a Director) in default of the Director’s resignation, it shall procure that within 28 days of receipt of such notice the Director is removed from his office as such.

My personal opinion is that PIF are a lot more to blame than the PL for the takeover failing to happen. The Saudi's appear to have been typically stubborn, condescending and unhelpful throughout the process. I think Slater's article in the athletic is probably an accurate summary of what happened, because of the open stealing of IP neither PIF or SA were ever going to pass the O&D test. The fact that they wouldn't acknowledge any wrong just made it easier not to say yes. 

:thup: That's my feeling as well. Premier League aren't blameless, and their handling of the situation (particularly communication) has been awful, but they aren't the main reason this failed. The Saudis have made it impossible to wave through at almost every step, every time it seemed close something new came out.

All PL had to do was say - FAIL for that reason.  But no....they sat quiet for 4 months.  PL are totally to blame for this farce.

We don't know exactly what's happened behind closed doors, we still only have Staveley's angle and that's been shown to be unreliable. There's been a few occasions where it's seemed close then the Saudis have made another daft decision back home with the Bein situation.

So disappointing that the Reuben bros and Staveley couldn't find other backing for this.

Was always so complex with the Saudis. What was the group Staveley was with originally again?

She had Chinese money behind one of bids, not sure if that was original failed bid, or attempt last May. It was only November when Saudis came on board.

I know there was sovereign wealth involved in her 1st bid, but always presumed this may have been Dubai royal family ie Maktoum’s.

So disappointing that the Reuben bros and Staveley couldn't find other backing for this.

Was always so complex with the Saudis. What was the group Staveley was with originally again?

She had Chinese money behind one of bids, not sure if that was original failed bid, or attempt last May. It was only November when Saudis came on board.

I know there was sovereign wealth involved in her 1st bid, but always presumed this may have been Dubai royal family ie Maktoum’s.

Ah, okay.

Well the one small satisfaction in this is that Ashley has been screwed over.

All those times he was so full of it and messing other bidders about and now it's turned on him at the worse time due to this pandemic.

Serves him right. Hope he suffers major financial losses due to this whole thing.

My personal opinion is that PIF are a lot more to blame than the PL for the takeover failing to happen. The Saudi's appear to have been typically stubborn, condescending and unhelpful throughout the process. I think Slater's article in the athletic is probably an accurate summary of what happened, because of the open stealing of IP neither PIF or SA were ever going to pass the O&D test. The fact that they wouldn't acknowledge any wrong just made it easier not to say yes. 

:thup: That's my feeling as well. Premier League aren't blameless, and their handling of the situation (particularly communication) has been awful, but they aren't the main reason this failed. The Saudis have made it impossible to wave through at almost every step, every time it seemed close something new came out.

Personally, I think the most logical explanation is that the PL have strung them along to try and get some things for their own gain and have never had any willing to put this deal through.

If they were that terrible to deal with in a real, legit negotiation then they'd have been rejected much earlier.

I don’t really see what the PL have done wrong other than not actually failing the test. It was never gonna pass.

So yeah, they didn't fail the test when it was never gonna pass?

I'd say that's a bit of a pisstake haha. They should've said no chance from the start and be done with it.

I don’t really see what the PL have done wrong other than not actually failing the test. It was never gonna pass.

You have answered the question. The cowardice is nauseating

I get that, but nothing’s gonna help the situation.

I get that, but nothing’s gonna help the situation.

Thank you Rosa Parks  :lol:

All PL had to do was say - FAIL for that reason.  But no....they sat quiet for 4 months.  PL are totally to blame for this farce.

We don't know exactly what's happened behind closed doors, we still only have Staveley's angle and that's been shown to be unreliable. There's been a few occasions where it's seemed close then the Saudis have made another daft decision back home with the Bein situation.

This.

pretty much my view though obviously the premier league should have made some sort of decision rather than dither around for months on end. If you were feeling charitable you might say they were giving them a chance to rectify the issues but at some point you have to just make a fucking decision, having it go on indefinitely and leave a club in complete paralysis is just wrong.

Essentially there wasn’t anything wrong with our bid that other clubs owners haven’t been found guilty of.

The problem they had was that the big clubs are pissing themselves because they have already seen how Man City, Chelsea, and to a lesser extent Blackburn were able to overthrow them in the past with more money than them. They don’t mind the likes of Villa and Wolves having owners who have money to say they can compete, but not actually threaten the established clubs. Having enough money to make those established clubs also rans is a no no.

I also highly suspect that Masters was awaiting a bribe, or waiting for one higher than BeIN/Qatar were offering, which wasn’t going to happen. You don’t get to have the career at the ECB and Premier League for as long as he has without expecting some brown envelopes to come across your desk for business deals to be finalised.

Question . Who made sure Masters got that job ?

I’ve posted this previously but it will give you a pretty big clue.

https://offthepitch.com/a/manchester-united-and-liverpool-given-special-access-vet-chief-executive-candidates

Why did the previous two resign ?

first choice just decided she didn't want the job iirc. Second dude got caught up in some scandal before he could take up the job

Essentially there wasn’t anything wrong with our bid that other clubs owners haven’t been found guilty of.

The problem they had was that the big clubs are pissing themselves because they have already seen how Man City, Chelsea, and to a lesser extent Blackburn were able to overthrow them in the past with more money than them. They don’t mind the likes of Villa and Wolves having owners who have money to say they can compete, but not actually threaten the established clubs. Having enough money to make those established clubs also rans is a no no.

I also highly suspect that Masters was awaiting a bribe, or waiting for one higher than BeIN/Qatar were offering, which wasn’t going to happen. You don’t get to have the career at the ECB and Premier League for as long as he has without expecting some brown envelopes to come across your desk for business deals to be finalised.

and that is the biggest load of bullshit i've seen in this thread which is impressive. Go on name what other premier league club owners have been even accused of facilitating a massive piracy operation?

Bollocks tbf

TBH in it all I still don't know why so many people mix up the morality stuff (never a problem for the league) with saudi arabia blatently pirating off a big broadcast partner of the league. People seem to think a) they couldnt really tie it to PIF, which maybe on some technical legal level but in reality everyone knows PIF is run by teh state and the state is behind the piracy, and b) bein have no right to be angry, and yet while there is no doubt geopolitics, eer they did pay a lot of money for those broadcast rights. Equally of course the league is going to listen to one of their big customers.

Where the league have acted badly is either leading the takeover on suggesting they could get over the line when in reality it was never really on, or just delaying making a difficult decision. I think the league do deserve some stick for this.

However I do not think SA (as distinct from the consortium who i suspect had little power over this) acted particularly well, i especially remember the 'oh if you didnt want us to pirate you should have just said' line of defense. Wouldnt sound good coming out of a school kid let alone a nation state.

Noone comes out of this looking good, but lets not forget one man is responsible for us being in a position we are so desperately reliant on saudi arabia of all things to get some kind of hope that it has basically at this point destroyed the club.