Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Guest Howaythetoon

That photo with Ronaldo.

:smitten:

I’m paraphrasing, but in the build-up to France ‘98 World Soccer did a big feature interviewing stars of those teams who qualified and Ronaldo was asked which striker he most admired and could learn something from and he picked out Shearer as the complete centre-forward and his ability in the air and shooting from distance as something he can get better at.

Maldini was also once asked which centre-forward he feared the most and he picked out Shearer also saying he was a complete centre-forward and someone who he would need help to stop because he wasn’t easy to stop on his own.

Shearer was asked which defender he feared the most and he said no-body, but he’d rather not play against the Italians and Argentinian’s who of course knocked England out. He’s since said Adams was the toughest defender he’s faced.

The striker he most admired? This may surprise people, but he chose Bierhoff of Germany at that time.

I wish I still had all those old mags, books, programmes, pinks, Chronicles and pull outs from the 90s. I gave them away a few years back. I used to love World Soccer, by far the best football mag out at that time.

Those who didn’t get to see peak Shearer or at all, we literally signed a striker who today would have no equal IMO and back then was the most-complete CF in the world if not the most talented which was obviously Ronaldo and a few others too.

I rate Harry Kane and he’s a decent footballer and underrated as one for me, but Shearer was a level above in his prime. We were robbed of that after his injury, but he came back, changed his game, and was still as good as any at scoring goals and playing the role of the centre-forward.

The best we’ve ever had and likely ever will. His legacy, however, will always have some young Geordie kid wanting to emulate his achievements and that is one of the reasons why I wouldn’t swap say winning the FA Cup in ‘98 or ‘99 for Shearer and what he did in our shirt. It’s thanks to players like him whose feats inspire kids in a way that silverware never can. Kids who if good enough will give a generation of fans and our club a Shearer of their own one day.

If such a player can win the club silverware doing so, that’s the icing on top of the cake, if not, I’d rather have 10 years of a Shearer than 10 years of a Shola.

I just think back to what mattered to me most as a kid, what it was that drew me in and what it was that made me fall in love with my club and the game, and it was the players and what they did on the pitch. Not 3 points, finishing top or staying up or Wembley Finals, those things were important to the club, the manager, the team and history books, but for me personally, they come second to an Andy Cole or a Kevin Keegan.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s hard to overstate how exciting signings were then. When we sold Andy Cole my teacher stopped lessons to let us put the radio on :lol: When we signed Shearer I was on holiday and my Dad faxed the back page of the paper to us at the hotel. Great times :lol:

I was at school at that time in a lesson, a rare thing for a serial truant like me, and the teacher basically stopped the lesson, put the radio on and we all basically sat there in silence. Usually a few of us would have a kick about after school or go to a mates before going home, I ran home that day and cried my eyes out. I hated KK and thought that was the end of NUFC as I knew it. I never quite got over it even when we signed Sir Les and went so close to winning the title. As a kid all I thought was yeah he’s good in the air, we are doing better as a team, but we could have done all that with Cole. I won’t lie, I used to root for him at Man Utd and cheered his lob that won them the league one year.

I don't know about our best ever like, obviously he is in the discussion, certainly he is the best i've seen with my own eyes, but...

Hughie Gallacher scored 133 goals in 160 games for us :lol: and was apparently an amazing allround player.

I had a 100 best footballers of all time thing ages ago and Gallacher was 27th.

Brazil Ronaldo was 100 i think, Shearer not on it.

I don't know about our best ever like, obviously he is in the discussion, certainly he is the best i've seen with my own eyes, but...

Hughie Gallacher scored 133 goals in 160 games for us :lol: and was apparently an amazing allround player.

Hard to take that seriously, like.

Hard to take that seriously, like.

Well, it's all opinions isn't it, it was in the times i think, must be 20 years ago now.

Maybe when they did it, Ronaldo hadn't hit his peak, i dunno.

• 4 weeks later...

Shearer on 5 Live. Presenter asking somebody what the ownership situation is like at Newcastle and Shearer jumps in with "we need a new one!"

Then goes on to talk about how far we've fallen and how back in the day we had a £5 million midfielder called David Batty and how the Boxing Day game against Liverpool we had two £5 million midfielders (Hayden and Diame) and a £6 million striker.

aye just listened to that. completely spot on with the comments. seeing it laid out like that just puts it all in perspective how much the club has stagnated

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...