Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Watching Shearer and that 95-96 team and even some of Bobbys teams was an absolute joy but if someone said you could swap it all for us to win a trophy id bite your hands off. Im 44 years old and my first game was in 1978 and went regular prior to moving to the US and in them years give or take a few years purple patch ive been fed on a diet of shit. After seeing us win fuck all for 40 years and having accepted that ill never see us win anything in my lifetime id swap any kind of feeling of winning a trophy over any player no matter how good he was

Anyone saying different needs their head read to be honest

I can't believe anyone saying Shearer over an FA Cup win.

You are basically saying you prefer a player over a trophy for NUFC.

Really?

The club and it's honours list is more important than any player ffs :lol:

Nah, football is played on the pitch. 10 years of entertainment far outweighs the knowledge that it says on a bit of paper that we beat 6 teams to win a cup once.

Guest firetotheworks

We're so alienated from the idea of winning things that we think it's just about looking at a bit of paper. :lol: The memories, celebrations, and sheer jubilation at winning a trophy can't even be taken into account because no one can imagine it.

Winning is overrated. The beauty is in the journey

While this is true, we haven’t won anything almost in living memory. That’s getting a bit silly.

Actually you could argue that if we hadn’t come so close we wouldn’t be worrying about it. Shearer was part of delivering that almost-glory. Plenty of clubs win nowt and don’t seem to bother about it.

Winning is overrated. The beauty is in the journey

Not when it's 63 years since your last domestic trophy.

Fair point, even so, after a few months its almost forgotten while Shearer would still be playing every week for ten years

It’s difficult to swap Shearer for anything in hindsight, but if we had won something we’d have different heroes. The history of the club could’ve been completely different as well, with the title if not the cup.

Would anyone's opinion change if it was a league title rather than an FA Cup in this hypothetical scenario?

The question could then become: would people swap winning the league in 96 for Shearer then never joining.

Yes.

In some respects, I wish 96 had never happened. Certainly the way that it did. It is still too heartbreaking when I think about it.

The question could then become: would people swap winning the league in 96 for Shearer then never joining.

Without a doubt

Id take Shearer going to Man United as long as we would have won the league in 95-96. That season was the ultimate kick in the balls being a NUFC fan ive encountered. You just knew it was going tits up after the whole Collymore,Fenton,Cantona thing and Man United continuously grinding out 1-0 wins thanks to Schmeichel and Cantona

Sorry like but anyone who would rather have a player over a trophy is, quite frankly, mental!  :lol:

Wonder would Wigan fans swap their FA Cup for having a guy from Wigan, one of the best goalscorers in the world playing for them for ten years

A league is different I agree

We're so alienated from the idea of winning things that we think it's just about looking at a bit of paper. :lol: The memories, celebrations, and sheer jubilation at winning a trophy can't even be taken into account because no one can imagine it.

You’re probably right actually. But I still wouldn’t swap it for shearer. Any other player, yes. He’s ours, full stop.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Shearer, all day everyday.

Greatest player in our modern history. In no way would i swap him to be a one-cup wonder like Wigan or Birmingham City. Fuuuuuck that