St James' Park

Delima

Guest TheOrder

Because its a very good stadium. Brilliant, in fact. It's got character, history, and I still stand in awe, everytime I stand on the terraces, before the game.

Guest nufc_geordie

How many grounds in the country have that charcter that says when you approach Newcastle by road or train the fortress stand there staring you in the face and you just say "home, sweet home".

Thats a good point...... sjp is on the crest of a hill....the land slopes away down to the tyne, so you can see it from a good way off.

Most of the "big" clubs in england are built on level ground. 

Mind thinking about it, most stadiums are surrounded by house size buildings and so can be seen form quite a distance anyway.

Sjp is the only `big` clyb stadium in the heart of the city.......well it will be when liverpool move.  I dont count chelsea, as london is such a sprawling city.

i havent been to the emirates, so cant comment on it.

SJP makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  It was great when I lived away and got to come to some games, travelling for 2 and a half hours up the A1, straight into the city and there it was.  Great feeling.  Now you go to the likes of Bolton, and it's in the middle of fucking Horwich, next to a shitty little retail park, and you've got Derby, 20 minute walk from the city centre, in open space again, then theres the mackems, wrong side of the fucking bridge for christ sakes, boro - LoL, Leeds - been there 3 times, never seen the city itself cos it's so close to the motorway, Sheffield Wednesday, parked up in Sheffield and had to get a tram for half an hour etc etc

atmosphere better than anywhere in the country when its full and the toon are playing well

as we've seen in the last few seasons like when robson was in charge, its a fortress and glenn is getting us back to them ways here as well now

SJP makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  It was great when I lived away and got to come to some games, travelling for 2 and a half hours up the A1, straight into the city and there it was.  Great feeling.  Now you go to the likes of Bolton, and it's in the middle of f****** Horwich, next to a shitty little retail park, and you've got Derby, 20 minute walk from the city centre, in open space again, then theres the mackems, wrong side of the f****** bridge for christ sakes, boro - LoL, Leeds - been there 3 times, never seen the city itself cos it's so close to the motorway, Sheffield Wednesday, parked up in Sheffield and had to get a tram for half an hour etc etc

Yeah. Nail on head. In most other places, football stadiums are hidden away in the suburbs or stuck next to retail parks or industrial estates on the outskirts of town.

In Newcastle, St James Park is built on a big hill looming over the city centre. You can driving into Newcastle from all directions. Its a bit of an overused cliche that Newcastle is football mad, but I always go along with the view that cliches like that are cliches because they are true. The link between NUFC and civic pride is incredibly strong here, and SJP being where it is screams, this is what we're about.

If I've been away and we're driving back up the A1 and you come through Gateshead, and see it there out across the river, it honestly does give me a buzz to see it. Even if I haven't been away, and I'm heading towards Newcastle on the Coast Road, and you can see it there in the distance, it's brilliant.

My aunt and uncle came up in the summer, and they hadn't been up to Newcastle for quite a few years. Last time they were up was the promotion season (92/93). They're Tranmere fans and came up when we played them, and also when they played Sunderland. St James' has been transformed since then, and obviously they'd seen it on TV and things, but they were saying how fantastic it looked when they were driving in. They're not even Newcastle fans, so it shows how well placed and impressive it is.

Guest Knightrider

St. James' Park is a very unique stadium due to its location (bang smack in the city centre), its design (those lopsided stands and huge roof), on the pitch history and the many stories the old place has to tell off the pitch. I love the place me, and am in awe of it, especially when you see how much it has transformed over the years, from the mere grass field with wooden boards planted around the perimeter for spectators to stand on so they wouldn't get their feet clarty, to today, where over 50,000 people pack in.

St. James' Park is a very unique stadium due to its location (bang smack in the city centre), its design (those lopsided stands and huge roof), on the pitch history and the many stories the old place has to tell off the pitch. I love the place me, and am in awe of it, especially when you see how much it has transformed over the years, from the mere grass field with wooden boards planted around the perimeter for spectators to stand on so they wouldn't get their feet clarty, to today, where over 50,000 people pack in.

you definitely cant get better than st james' its amazing the first time i went there with my grandad i wasnt particularly interested and the only team i supported was my local team (Northampton Town FC). As soon as i got in the ground it had a great feeling, fantastic i feel fantastic when the blaydon races blares around the ground like an opera house when all 50000 sing and the 2000 away supporters arent even heard.

its fantastic

Guest Knightrider

SJP makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  It was great when I lived away and got to come to some games, travelling for 2 and a half hours up the A1, straight into the city and there it was.  Great feeling.  Now you go to the likes of Bolton, and it's in the middle of f****** Horwich, next to a shitty little retail park, and you've got Derby, 20 minute walk from the city centre, in open space again, then theres the mackems, wrong side of the f****** bridge for christ sakes, boro - LoL, Leeds - been there 3 times, never seen the city itself cos it's so close to the motorway, Sheffield Wednesday, parked up in Sheffield and had to get a tram for half an hour etc etc

Yeah. Nail on head. In most other places, football stadiums are hidden away in the suburbs or stuck next to retail parks or industrial estates on the outskirts of town.

In Newcastle, St James Park is built on a big hill looming over the city centre. You can driving into Newcastle from all directions. Its a bit of an overused cliche that Newcastle is football mad, but I always go along with the view that cliches like that are cliches because they are true. The link between NUFC and civic pride is incredibly strong here, and SJP being where it is screams, this is what we're about.

If I've been away and we're driving back up the A1 and you come through Gateshead, and see it there out across the river, it honestly does give me a buzz to see it. Even if I haven't been away, and I'm heading towards Newcastle on the Coast Road, and you can see it there in the distance, it's brilliant.

My aunt and uncle came up in the summer, and they hadn't been up to Newcastle for quite a few years. Last time they were up was the promotion season (92/93). They're Tranmere fans and came up when we played them, and also when they played Sunderland. St James' has been transformed since then, and obviously they'd seen it on TV and things, but they were saying how fantastic it looked when they were driving in. They're not even Newcastle fans, so it shows how well placed and impressive it is.

To me SJP is the same as the Tyne Bridge - the two icons of our City, any returning Geordie coming hyem after a while away from the City, even if it's only been a few days, gets a warm feeling inside when they see those two iconic bastions of our society. You know you're home when you see those two over the horizon. I also love the fact that when I'm in Toon, I'm just 5 minutes away from SJP or when I'm outside of the City walls if you like, I can still see the stadium, even from a few miles distance.

When i was a toddler you would see all the fans streaming through the City on their way to the ground, hear  the roar when the match started and we scored and then after the match everyone coming back

Nowt like it anywhere else I've ever been

When i was a toddler you would see all the fans streaming through the City on their way to the ground

That river of black and white going up the hill to the ground is very cool indeed!

SJP needs a clean. Getting really dirty on the outside of the stands. The North East corner is particularly bad, covered in algae.

Shepherd, sort it out or sod off.

SJP needs a clean. Getting really dirty on the outside of the stands. The North East corner is particularly bad, covered in algae.

Shepherd, sort it out or sod off.

should knock down the buildings behind it and extend it tbh

Guest smoggeordie

http://www.soccermania.dk/layout-stadionbilleder/st%20james%20park%20publikum.jpg

A simple picture is the only way to explain it.

She's beautiful.