Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

The rage kind of blinds my memory but I can't remember the players including the keeper complaining for the foul and Dubravka definitely had that 'I fucked up' look on his face afterwards.

Didn't hang around for the post match interviews but Rafa looked raging at the time but after seeing a replay, I'm assuming, he didn't call it a foul in his comments I've read.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

The relative merits of it being a foul or not are irrelevant for me. Dubravkasy got himself into a bad position, failed to jump, was trying to catch the ball at its lowest point, and generally just didn't deal with the danger before Boly even had a chance to get involved. Like Rafa said in his post-match presser, if he gets up high early and punches it we aren't having this conversation. Boly also barely touched him, and we'd be raging if we scored that goal and it was disallowed.

He's still a good keeper and had a great game until that point

Guest reefatoon

Nobody complained because they didn't think it was a foul, including Dubravka. Keepers normally roll around at anything like that trying to win something from the ref. All that happened was Lascelles and Dubravka had a go at each other. That speaks volumes about the incident really as players will appeal practically anything.

The rage kind of blinds my memory but I can't remember the players including the keeper complaining for the foul and Dubravka definitely had that 'I fucked up' look on his face afterwards.

Didn't hang around for the post match interviews but Rafa looked raging at the time but after seeing a replay, I'm assuming, he didn't call it a foul in his comments I've read.

Rafa at first said he wasn't clear whether it was a foul as he couldn't see it.

Then later on said there was hands on his face, and that 'in England they do not know the rules'.  Assuming this was after he had seen a replay.

I really like the player and he has definitely brought alot to our team, goes without saying he is a world apart from the other options, but these clangers are creeping in and costing us. Maybe it's because of the sheer volume of pressure he faces week in week out the odd slip up is more likely to happen.

I don't think it was a foul but can't shake the feeling if that happened to a "big" club at that time in a game the ref would have pulled it.

So do you think players should be allowed to put their hands on the keeper when they're about to catch the ball? Should that be part of the game?

Leverage init, goes on all the time with attackers and defenders vying for headers unpunished. Part and parcel of the game albeit when it happens to keepers the ref normally calls for a foul, wrongly. Officials though, eh?

Literally in the rule book:

• It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him

Part of what makes him such a solid keeper is how commanding he is from crosses. Really takes the pressure off when he makes catches.

That's why he tried to catch it rather than punch it. If the player didn't impede him, weak or not he'd have taken the catch. Don't really have a problem with this. What I do have a problem with is the lack of perspective by the pundits (never seems to be a goalkeeping pundit) and the host of god-awful Newcastle pundits they seem to be using these days on Sky.

Kluivert, Ameobi, Bellamy, Souness. Christ.

Of course it was a clanger. He needs to be stronger in that situation, he should be either punching that or taking everything with it. He was to soft in trying to catch it, not sure if he thought he had more time than he did or if he didn't get a call, but he needed to be dealing with that a lot stronger than what he did. Saying that. I totally rate him and just think it was a lapse and I am sure he will make sure of getting that ball no matter what next time.

Unless he’s got the ability to jump 2 metres high and catch the ball earlier, or could foresee Traore mishitting a looped cross and start pedalling backwards earlier, it’s definitely not this.

Don’t know if it’s because enough time has passed but I think the few I’ve seen calling for him to be dropped have forgotten how bad both Elliot and Darlow were in the first part of last season and at times in the Championship. Woodman has looked very vulnerable in the games too.

Hopefully he calms down and has a solid game v Huddersfield because him regaining form will be essential to us staying up.

The relative merits of it being a foul or not are irrelevant for me. Dubravkasy got himself into a bad position, failed to jump, was trying to catch the ball at its lowest point, and generally just didn't deal with the danger before Boly even had a chance to get involved. Like Rafa said in his post-match presser, if he gets up high early and punches it we aren't having this conversation. Boly also barely touched him, and we'd be raging if we scored that goal and it was disallowed.

He's still a good keeper and had a great game until that point

Err, well I for one would be expecting it to be disallowed if we scored that goal as it was a clear foul. I dare say the last player to score a goal like that for us was probably Shearer back in the 2000's.

Also, I don't think "barely touched" is an apt description somehow.

Don’t know if it’s because enough time has passed but I think the few I’ve seen calling for him to be dropped have forgotten how bad both Elliot and Darlow were in the first part of last season and at times in the Championship. Woodman has looked very vulnerable in the games too.

Hopefully he calms down and has a solid game v Huddersfield because him regaining form will be essential to us staying up.

Jesus.  He made one mistake against Spurs.  Last night he was quality until he was fouled in the last seconds, hardly bad form.

Drop him. :lol: A worse goalkeeper would've spilled that low shot in the first half and could easily have been flummoxed by the one that ricocheted off Schar.

I can't deny I'm worried about his form after 12 months of being very consistent but there's absolutely no point in dropping him. Darlow and Woodman are both absolutely miles behind him.

If that had of been the Liverpool keeper the goal wouldn't have stood. You only have to look at the penalty's we have been given (or in our case havn't) over the years or opponents (Not) getting red cards to see there is something a little bit off when it comes to our club.

Maybe it's a subconscious decision on the part of the refs, but it seems almost too easy for them to give a decision against us.

Should Dubravka have punched it? probably, he made a mistake against Spurs and one against Man City (which could have been a foul.)

Still our best keeper by miles.

The issue is our super fine margin team who can only muster 1 goal needs to kill off games. Rafa has been saying it for ages now. We either can’t get this second goal or we cant just simply clear the ball or hold it. We panic late and when it’s always that tight for us - compounding what seems like reffing decisions always going agianst us - we are prone to this type of shit.

Weak goalkeeping and made the wrong decision to try and catch it although I understand why he'd do that as that would have been the last action of the game. I still don't say that's a foul but others will. It's one of those that can go either way and unfortunately for us it's gone against us. The foul on Almiron in the corner just before the goal looked far more obvious.

There's nothing unfortunate about it, if we were Liverpool or Arsenal it would be given as a foul but we aren't. Fortune has nothing to do with it.

Just as bad keeping at the other end for our goal and he didn't have a players arm in his face.

Wouldn't drop him for the next game, but another costly mistake and he's got to sit it out until his head is right.

The issue is our super fine margin team who can only muster 1 goal needs to kill off games. Rafa has been saying it for ages now. We either can’t get this second goal or we cant just simply clear the ball or hold it. We panic late and when it’s always that tight for us - compounding what seems like reffing decisions always going agianst us - we are prone to this type of shit.

Aye. Was fucking fuming at us in the first 3 minutes of the time added on, ball was like a fucking hot potato. Just keep a hold of it for fuck sake. Given the amount of swearing I've noticed I'm still quite livid. :lol:

Dubravka is an exceptional goalkeeper. The Man United one was a really awkward one (you see those types of goals all the time) i Think Sons was fairly tricky too, bounced right before him, but yeah he could’ve done better. Last nights was just a blatant foul, how can he catch and keep hold of the ball with Bolys arms around his face ffs. Would continue to be the first name on the team sheet for me.