Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Of course the other thing with Shay was that for a lot of his time here he had Harper breathing down his neck who could come in and stake a claim to be number 1 keeping him on his toes

We've not had competition for our number 1 since then which has led to complacency from our custodian(s).

Harper was such a weird one for us.  He could easily have been a PL No.1 at his peak and arguably would have been a shout for England, noting that David James was England keeper for a time.

He was too good to be a second choice keeper, but ultimately, we had the best pair of keepers in the league for a period.  I think you may be onto something saying that Harper pushed Shay.  In the same way that Krul was perhaps pushed by Forster.

Bit tragic that we now have Blob doing the pushing.  Dubs must know that as long as he doesn't get injured, the shirt is his.  Wonder if/when Woodman will emerge as a contender...

He has been outstanding. Can´t rellay remember any mistakes he has done here...

When watching him in the Danish league some years back nothing indicated this would be his future.

I was not happy when we signed him. But everything (atm) is just perfect.  O0

Of course the other thing with Shay was that for a lot of his time here he had Harper breathing down his neck who could come in and stake a claim to be number 1 keeping him on his toes

We've not had competition for our number 1 since then which has led to complacency from our custodian(s).

Harper was such a weird one for us.  He could easily have been a PL No.1 at his peak and arguably would have been a shout for England, noting that David James was England keeper for a time.

He was too good to be a second choice keeper, but ultimately, we had the best pair of keepers in the league for a period.  I think you may be onto something saying that Harper pushed Shay.  In the same way that Krul was perhaps pushed by Forster.

Bit tragic that we now have Blob doing the pushing.  Dubs must know that as long as he doesn't get injured, the shirt is his.  Wonder if/when Woodman will emerge as a contender...

With hindsight, Harper should have moved when he got dropped by Robson after that good spell he had.  Could easily have picked up some England caps in the early-mid 2000s if he had.

I remember Lineker saying he should be a shout for the England World Cup squad in 2010 just because he was used to sitting on the bench and knew what it was like to be thrown on at the deep end in a game. :lol:

There is an argument to have such a keeper in a World Cup squad where you take 3. Mentally having someone who is used to needing to be ready at any time makes sense rather than having 3 keepers who are used to starting games.

Given was great, but I always thought one of his weaknesses was rushing out to a player one-on-one. In my mind there seemed to be so many goals that would go through his legs, unless I'm remembering this completely wrong :lol: Whereas Dubravka is very good at saving close range shots with his legs / feet.

Given was great, but I always thought one of his weaknesses was rushing out to a player one-on-one. In my mind there seemed to be so many goals that would go through his legs, unless I'm remembering this completely wrong :lol: Whereas Dubravka is very good at saving close range shots with his legs / feet.

I always thought 1on1s was one of his strongest attributes.

Best save I've ever seen live was one of Given's like.

1-0 home F.A Cup win vs Spurs around 2005. The ball looped up to Defoe who absolutely blasted it right towards the top corner. In my mind, Given appeared from nowhere to save it, completely horizontal, and his entire body above the heads of the other players. :lol: It looked impossible, it was a fantastic save, I'm sure Defoe was certain that he'd scored.

:thup:

Always remember him pulling off some bizarre reaction saves with his head too, from close-quarters headers. His ability to react and his agility set him apart for me. Another one that sticks in my memory is a ridiculous tip over the bar from a lovely shot by Kevin Phillips. Given was well off his line as well.

Can't determine if Dúbravka sets himself too far away from the area the wall is protecting or if we're just unfortunately getting fucked by brilliant free kicks.

Mata’s was close to perfect - he didn’t just get it up and down, but the ball was only a foot or two above the ground when it scraped inside the post. Even if Dubravka could get across, he was never going to get down in time.

The wall was set properly. A wall isn’t perfect - it’s a risk mitigation tactic. When Juan Mata is twenty yards out, it’s a huge risk to reduce.

Can't determine if Dúbravka sets himself too far away from the area the wall is protecting or if we're just unfortunately getting fucked by brilliant free kicks.

Mata’s was close to perfect - he didn’t just get it up and down, but the ball was only a foot or two above the ground when it scraped inside the post. Even if Dubravka could get across, he was never going to get down in time.

The wall was set properly. A wall isn’t perfect - it’s a risk mitigation tactic. When Juan Mata is twenty yards out, it’s a huge risk to reduce.

i'm not convinced his positioning was perfect, google it there's a YT vid a fan took from behind the goal and you can see how open he's left the near post with the angle

i'm not convinced his positioning was perfect, google it there's a YT vid a fan took from behind the goal and you can see how open he's left the near post with the angle

That's bollocks to be fair. A free kick that close you have to cover the right side of the goal. When it is subsequently hit that well you simply aren't going to get across to the left in time. If it was 25-30 yards out, fair enough, but Dubravka did nothing wrong there.

That's bollocks to be fair. A free kick that close you have to cover the right side of the goal. When it is subsequently hit that well you simply aren't going to get across to the left in time. If it was 25-30 yards out, fair enough, but Dubravka did nothing wrong there.

bollocks :lol:

find the video i'm talking about, you'll see...and i didn't say he did anything wrong either, i said his positioning wasn't perfect

if you watch that vid you'll see he starts bang in the middle of the goal trying to hedge his bets, takes a step to his right thinking of covering the top corner, then steps left again so he's starting dead centre of the goal when the ball is kicked and he just misses it by fingertips

it was an awkward spot it came from as well tbh

Guest Howaythetoon

Given was one of the original sweeper ‘keeper types as well. He would see danger and come out and either head it away or kick it away. He did that a lot for us. Harper was a decent ‘keeper too. Shay was a consummate professional, he never seemed to get injured. We had a great spine in him, Woodgate, Speed and Shearer at one point.

What I used to love about Shay and Shearer as well is that each season they would implore the board to strengthen the team with quality which often, IIRC, didn’t sit well with people on here and other forums who thought they should get on with their jobs and shouldn’t be coming out complaining that the squad wasn’t good enough.

Contrast that with today... give me a player who challenges the club to bring in better players and to demand better over those that are just happy to collect their pay packet.

I'm sorry, the goal was entirely down to Diame. As soon as he gave that FK away, I was 99.9% certain it was a goal. Fernandez also did the same at home, it seems our players are too thick to understand how they shouldn't foul right at the edge of the box in the PL. You get punished with the quality around.

• 3 weeks later...

‘Of course we hear the fans talking about the owner and the team but I am not interested.

‘I have quit the English channels on my TV because if you are not careful these things can get really deep inside your head. Then it’s hard. So I don’t listen to it. Mike Ashley is not my business. Here we just need to do our jobs.’

What other players need to be saying when asked about this.