Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

By 22 Pickford had played 121 games spread fairly equally across Conference, League Two, League One and Championship.

Woodman is only a year behind and he's played 35 in League Two and SPL. It's really poor on the club's behalf and risks killing his development years. Another full season next year on the bench anywhere would be disastrous.

Both are equally useless. He needs to be out playing every week.

Aye, I completely agree. I just meant that if he’s sitting on the bench anywhere I’d prefer it to be here because we undoubtedly have a better manager than anywhere he’d be.

He should be getting games in that league though, who is their #1? Why did we sanction a move to a club who seemingly already have a #1? Send him wherever, as long as he is going to play.

His senior figure for the U21s in Angus Gunn has been out on loan at Norwich this season. Played every game for them. It's a serious problem that we struggled to get him out on loan somewhere decent to be honest.

Is there a problem with his stature?

His senior figure for the U21s in Angus Gunn has been out on loan at Norwich this season. Played every game for them. It's a serious problem that we struggled to get him out on loan somewhere decent to be honest.

I can only presume because the Dubravka deal was done so late, we were rushing around trying to find somewhere for him.

I can only presume because the Dubravka deal was done so late, we were rushing around trying to find somewhere for him.

Getting 'keepers decent loan deals in January is often difficult as most teams will have an established number one, there will only be a few in the market. Even more difficult last minute on deadline day. Need to get him out on loan at a Championship side (if there is a willing taker) early in the summer transfer window before clubs move on to other targets.

Re Gunn - worth noting at the age Woodman is Gunn had played a grand total of 0 games of professional first team competitive football.

Gunn seems to have ties to Norwich, having come through their academy and his father being a former player and manager. Maybe those are factors in them giving him a good chance.

Both are equally useless. He needs to be out playing every week.

Aye, I completely agree. I just meant that if he’s sitting on the bench anywhere I’d prefer it to be here because we undoubtedly have a better manager than anywhere he’d be.

He should be getting games in that league though, who is their #1? Why did we sanction a move to a club who seemingly already have a #1? Send him wherever, as long as he is going to play.

think that's fair tbh yeah, loan him out then but i'd rather not see darlow or elliot as backup if it could be helped

Thought he mad a mistake for their goal but he still put in a good performance and it makes such a difference to how we play having a 'keeper the defenders can trust. Some great handling on crosses during the two spells when they put is under a little bit of pressure, really makes a difference.

Get him signed up permanently.

Guest Howaythetoon

Came for like 5 crosses and got them all. Who was he bollocking following a corner? Sorry but shitty stream so couldn’t quite tell.

Thought he mad a mistake for their goal but he still put in a good performance and it makes such a difference to how we play having a 'keeper the defenders can trust. Some great handling on crosses during the two spells when they put is under a little bit of pressure, really makes a difference.

What exactly could he have done differently? I was trying to figure out if he could have realistically won that ball if he went for it; however I'm of the line of thought he assumed PD and would be able to handle Okazaki in the air easily.

What exactly could he have done differently? I was trying to figure out if he could have realistically won that ball if he went for it; however I'm of the line of thought he assumed PD and would be able to handle Okazaki in the air easily.

He got caught under the ball, started coming then changed his mind. If he had stayed but in a good position he might pick up Okazaki's header before it reaches Vardy. Like I said he had a great game and came for 5 or 6 crosses brilliantly and has made a massive difference since he arrived.

Just heard yesterday that my friend met him when he'd just signed. He was lost and needed directions to the training ground, he was panicking about being late so she ended up leading him there in her own car (from Holystone). After they got there he thanked her profusely only for her to reply with ".... So who are you?" :lol: Autographs and pictures for her kids after though. She said he was lovely apart from initially asking her to get into his car to direct him there as she thought he might be a murderer.

Atsu played him onside needlessly, Dummett lost both the flight of the ball in the air and the man, and Dubravka started to come then ducked out. Blame's probably equal as had any of them fixed their error it doesn't go in.

Newcastle hopes safe in hands of Dubravka

Adrian Clarke looks at how on-loan goalkeeper has helped Magpies ease their fears of relegation

The arrival of goalkeeper Martin Dubravka on loan from Sparta Prague in January has proved to be an important moment of Newcastle United's season.

Four wins in six matches since the Slovakia international came into the side have taken the Magpies up to 10th place.

Now only two points shy of 40, Rafa Benitez’s men must believe a home win over Arsenal this Sunday would all but secure their Premier League status.

Replacing Rob Elliot and Karl Darlow, who had shared goalkeeping duties across the first 26 matches, Dubravka immediately stamped his mark.

He had an impressive debut at home against Manchester United, as Newcastle won 1-0, and has since produced a string of assured displays while keeping two more clean sheets.

Confident and commanding

One of Dubravka’s great strengths is his command of his penalty area.

When crosses are sent into into the box, the 29-year-old is much more confident than his goalkeeping team-mates at claiming the ball.

This was an area that Elliot particularly struggled with. On average he makes half the number of catches, while in 16 starts he failed to claim four crosses that he came out for.

Statistically, Dubravka is in fact the most prolific taker of crosses in the competition. This strong presence and assertiveness has helped relieve pressure at key moments.

tQoZuB6.png

He has not been overworked but, when called upon, Dubravka has made a number of fine reaction saves.

Three stand out. On his debut he sensationally denied Anthony Martial in a one v one, and he has made spectacular stops to thwart Steve Cook and Dejan Lovren from set-pieces.

His speed and decisiveness as a "sweeper keeper" must also have attracted Benitez in recruiting him.

Dubravka’s willingness to come out of his area and clear danger has allowed Newcastle to push forward and play further up the pitch.

Reliable shield

It should also be noted that the Slovak has benefited from consistent team selection. Benitez's back four has been unchanged across the last six PL matches.

Paul Dummett, Florian Lejeune, Jamaal Lascelles and DeAndre Yedlin have formed a solid rearguard that appears to offer their goalkeeper better protection than at any other stage of the season.

Dubravka averages 1.5 saves per appearance, compared with 3.5 for Darlow and 2.8 for Elliot.

Interestingly, neither of the current back-up goalkeepers have made a single appearance in 2017/18 behind the current back four.

Free-scoring Arsenal will certainly not find it easy to break down Newcastle's defence, or beat Dubravka, on Sunday.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/661801