Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Guest firetotheworks

I'd love to hear more chants coming from metal songs, like. Not sure how you'd replace the riff before going back to the chant with Du Hast though. [emoji38]

I'd love to hear more chants coming from metal songs, like. Not sure how you'd replace the riff before going back to the chant with Du Hast though. [emoji38]

Train the strawberry corner, Thursday night classes

0:27-0:40

Martin Dubravka is a reluctant goalkeeper but the early indications are that Rafael Benítez’s loan signing from Sparta Prague could prove a key component in Newcastle’s struggle to stay in the Premier League.

“I like to play as a right‑winger,” said the Slovakia international whose stunning display in his debut at home against Manchester United helped to consign them to a 1-0 defeat. “Sometimes I play outfield in training and the coaches say: ‘Why are you a goalkeeper, maybe you could change to being a midfielder?’ But it’s too late – my father and grandfathers were keepers and I’m tall.”

Dubravka’s outstanding footwork represents a big reason why Benítez has transplanted this quintessential sweeper-keeper to Tyneside. “In modern football the keeper’s almost like a libero. You need to play with the ball, not just kick it long,” the 29-year-old said as he prepared for Saturday’s trip to Bournemouth. “When I get possession the manager wants me to try to play football.”

After a combination of fancy footwork and some stunning saves – including one with his left foot to divert an Anthony Martial shot – had seen off Manchester United, Benítez was suitably delighted. “He told me I should buy a lottery ticket and I’d win,” Dubravka said. “He spoke to me a lot before the game to help me. He knew it was a big debut. We knew nobody believed we could take three points but I said to everyone: ‘You can always beat the best teams if you fight for each other.’ That’s why we won.”

It was a confident statement from a newcomer but, after a decade largely spent under the radar in Slovakia, Denmark and the Czech Republic, Dubravka is determined to seize the moment. “This has completely changed my life. Suddenly there are new possibilities. Everyone around this city has the feeling for football.”

Benítez has an option to sign him for around £5m in the summer. “I hope I’ll stay,” Dubravka said. “It’s amazing here. Everybody in Slovakia knows about Newcastle; it’s a big name in my country. I know many people talk about the top six in England but, in Slovakia, Newcastle’s one of the most famous clubs. Everyone wants to be a hero of a club like Newcastle but I have to take this step by step. If you think things are going to go well, then they won’t.”

Nonetheless Benítez does not need a shrinking violet during a critical period when Islam Slimani, his loanee striker from Leicester, will miss at least three more games with a thigh injury. “He wants me to be loud and to talk to people, to help them and be confident on crosses,” Dubravka said. “I don’t want to look like I’m arrogant, just like I have enough confidence to help the guys. If I can see a striker three metres behind my defender, I’ll tell him. We need to know we’re all equal on the pitch. I don’t care if someone’s been here for five years, we have to fight together for the points.”

Dubravka’s confidence is laced with both a certain humility and something approaching a sense of wonder. “Petr Cech’s a hero. I had his picture on my locker door but we’re now in the Premier League together. It’s a big step in my life. When we play Arsenal in April we’ll be against each other.”

He also had immense admiration for the former Newcastle and Czech Republic keeper Pavel Srnicek, who died in December 2015 aged 47. “Pavel gave me a trophy 10 years ago for best goalkeeper and told me very nice things like: ‘Just work hard and one day you’ll play in the best league in the world.’ After that Pavel sent me a few positive messages. He was amazing to me.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/23/martin-dubravka-goalkeeper-newcastle-bournemouth

Guest Howaythetoon

Martin Dubravka is a reluctant goalkeeper but the early indications are that Rafael Benítez’s loan signing from Sparta Prague could prove a key component in Newcastle’s struggle to stay in the Premier League.

“I like to play as a right‑winger,” said the Slovakia international whose stunning display in his debut at home against Manchester United helped to consign them to a 1-0 defeat. “Sometimes I play outfield in training and the coaches say: ‘Why are you a goalkeeper, maybe you could change to being a midfielder?’ But it’s too late – my father and grandfathers were keepers and I’m tall.”

Dubravka’s outstanding footwork represents a big reason why Benítez has transplanted this quintessential sweeper-keeper to Tyneside. “In modern football the keeper’s almost like a libero. You need to play with the ball, not just kick it long,” the 29-year-old said as he prepared for Saturday’s trip to Bournemouth. “When I get possession the manager wants me to try to play football.”

After a combination of fancy footwork and some stunning saves – including one with his left foot to divert an Anthony Martial shot – had seen off Manchester United, Benítez was suitably delighted. “He told me I should buy a lottery ticket and I’d win,” Dubravka said. “He spoke to me a lot before the game to help me. He knew it was a big debut. We knew nobody believed we could take three points but I said to everyone: ‘You can always beat the best teams if you fight for each other.’ That’s why we won.”

It was a confident statement from a newcomer but, after a decade largely spent under the radar in Slovakia, Denmark and the Czech Republic, Dubravka is determined to seize the moment. “This has completely changed my life. Suddenly there are new possibilities. Everyone around this city has the feeling for football.”

Benítez has an option to sign him for around £5m in the summer. “I hope I’ll stay,” Dubravka said. “It’s amazing here. Everybody in Slovakia knows about Newcastle; it’s a big name in my country. I know many people talk about the top six in England but, in Slovakia, Newcastle’s one of the most famous clubs. Everyone wants to be a hero of a club like Newcastle but I have to take this step by step. If you think things are going to go well, then they won’t.”

Nonetheless Benítez does not need a shrinking violet during a critical period when Islam Slimani, his loanee striker from Leicester, will miss at least three more games with a thigh injury. “He wants me to be loud and to talk to people, to help them and be confident on crosses,” Dubravka said. “I don’t want to look like I’m arrogant, just like I have enough confidence to help the guys. If I can see a striker three metres behind my defender, I’ll tell him. We need to know we’re all equal on the pitch. I don’t care if someone’s been here for five years, we have to fight together for the points.”

Dubravka’s confidence is laced with both a certain humility and something approaching a sense of wonder. “Petr Cech’s a hero. I had his picture on my locker door but we’re now in the Premier League together. It’s a big step in my life. When we play Arsenal in April we’ll be against each other.”

He also had immense admiration for the former Newcastle and Czech Republic keeper Pavel Srnicek, who died in December 2015 aged 47. “Pavel gave me a trophy 10 years ago for best goalkeeper and told me very nice things like: ‘Just work hard and one day you’ll play in the best league in the world.’ After that Pavel sent me a few positive messages. He was amazing to me.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/23/martin-dubravka-goalkeeper-newcastle-bournemouth

Refreshing read. Elliott would probably think Libero was a country.

Howey saying he was at fault for their goal. That right?

Definitely not the first was a worldie moving all over the shop which I doubt no keeper could save and the second was Ake passing the ball to Gosling who just used the pace to pass towards the top corner away from our keeper.

Howey saying he was at fault for their goal. That right?

He's saying he took a gamble taking a step to his left, which he's right on tbf

SwjDBQu.png

Image is just after the shot was hit and his weight is going left cause he gambled. Ball goes in the top right (on the pic) which he should have had covered

Had the shot gone left and he saved it we'd all be singing his praises and saying it's an amazing save. Just one of those things I'd say

It’s not really a gamble. The shot passes above his head. His positioning is right, the shot is just too hard too stop or reflexes to slow to stop. He is a great goalie tho, I want us to tie him up longterm.