The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

He creates everything for that team, he's no less of a playmaker than Iniesta is (not saying he's better mind but the things he does are what constitutes a playmaker.)

He creates plays and dictates how the team plays in terms of tempo, your idea of playmaking is clearly quite different to mine because Hazard is clearly playmaking for that team.

TBF I see Cesc as the playmaker of that team. Playmaker for me is the one that dictates the tempo of games and creates chances. Hazard does create and all, but he doesn't really dictate the tempo of the game like Messi does when he plays on the wings. It's harder for a winger to be a playmaker in MY way of seeing it.

Iniesta has also played a significant portion of his career as a central player. Likewise David Silva who is also a playmaker. Fabregas and De Bruyne all the playmakers in the sides Hazard plays for. In their absence Hazard wouldn't take their roles either.

I'm with Felip, a Playmaker sets the tempo and controls the game. Verratti in the week. Cesc often in the league. Silva drifting from wide and just dominating the game.

Hazard's remit in Mourinho's team is essentially inbetween ADM/ & Cronaldo. Neither as playmakers. He reserved that Ozil & Alonso.

Unpopular opinion: It's very hard to have Cesc Fabregas as he is as an integral part of a top, top team. I think Mou's counter attacking  approach suits him best.

He's best as #10 but lacks the feet to create space against top quality opposition. And he lacks positional sense to do it as a deeper midfielder.

Interesting point, who is the best striker with the worst goalscoring record?

For us at the moment, Perez.

Historically Bellamy.

Bellamy - Shearer. Don't think I'll ever enjoy a partnership as much as those at this club again. Complemented each other so well.

Interesting point, who is the best striker with the worst goalscoring record?

For us at the moment, Perez.

Historically Bellamy.

For us in recent times it's got to be Larsson. Rather poor scoring record but great at making space for others and enabling Ronaldinho/Eto'o to do their thing. Shoutout to Villa and how cannily clever he was moving in and around the box to drag defences and create space for Messi, but his record is close to 1 in 2.

Currently it's Suárez. But he seems to be hitting his streak, scoring-wise.

He creates everything for that team, he's no less of a playmaker than Iniesta is (not saying he's better mind but the things he does are what constitutes a playmaker.)

He creates plays and dictates how the team plays in terms of tempo, your idea of playmaking is clearly quite different to mine because Hazard is clearly playmaking for that team.

TBF I see Cesc as the playmaker of that team. Playmaker for me is the one that dictates the tempo of games and creates chances. Hazard does create and all, but he doesn't really dictate the tempo of the game like Messi does when he plays on the wings. It's harder for a winger to be a playmaker in MY way of seeing it.

There's two types of playmaker, the Xavi and Pirlo type and the more advanced type. Hazard falls under the latter IMO. Regardless he's clearly no forward.

Love watching Gareth Bale as well.

Don't like goal line technology.

Never really understood why there aren't more players at the top level who can take an absolutely giant throw in. Not that difficult trait to train up but can be a really effective asset for any team. Of course watching Stoke under Pulis was pure aids where their game plan was only throw ins but still. Every team should have at least one player who can launch a gigantic throw in.

It was more the speed and trajectory of Delaps throws that were difficult to defend against, rather than how far he managed to throw it. Very difficult skill to master.

Advanced playmaker - Zidane, Iniesta, David Silva. Never Hazard.

There is absolutely zero difference between what Iniesta did for Barca than what Hazard does for Chelsea. And don't say he controls the tempo of a game because he doesn’t.

Iniesta used his dribbling ability to link the play between Xavi and Messi and Hazard does exactly the same but be the link between Fabregas and Costa. He's no forward in any case :lol: Bale and Neymar are forwards, they constantly make off the ball runs in behind defenses. When have you ever seen Hazard make runs in behind defences?  He doesn't because he's creating for those around him and has absolutely no idea how to make off the ball runs because he isn't you know a forward.

Advanced playmaker - Zidane, Iniesta, David Silva. Never Hazard.

There is absolutely zero difference between what Iniesta did for Barca than what Hazard does for Chelsea. And don't say he controls the tempo of a game because he doesn’t.

Iniesta used his dribbling ability to link the play between Xavi and Messi and Hazard does exactly the same but be the link between Fabregas and Costa. He's no forward in any case :lol: Bale and Neymar are forwards, they constantly make off the ball runs in behind defenses. When have you ever seen Hazard make runs in behind defences?  He doesn't because he's creating for those around him and has absolutely no idea how to make off the ball runs because he isn't you know a forward.

To say there is no difference between what Iniesta did at Barca and what Hazard does at Chelsea is plain wrong

Hazard said: “We [Hazard and Mourinho] would both like for me to score more. Us forwards need to score and to pass.

Hazard calls himself a forward. You are wrong.

I think by that he means attacking players.

Hazard has always struck me as a winger. It's where he starts off and where he spends most of his time. He gets the free role time to time but he's mostly on the wing. That's where he was for Belgium in the WC, too.

He's one of my favorite players to watch, mind. He glides by defenders with ease but he needs to shoot more. You see Ronaldo do the same thing and then blast it in the top corner from wherever he is on the park. Hazard, however, takes an extra touch or stops dead. He can be quite frustrating in that sense.