The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

I also think that Carr's somewhat failed in determining how suitable these players are for a different tempo and physical intensity of football. It's pretty bloody easy to spot who's good within their comfort zone and contractually vulnerable.

Do agree, this squad has been very poorly built. Pardew is a problem obviously but the squad is so unbalanced and lacking in major key areas.

the club got caught up in its own cleverness over the unprecedented actions of actually researching signings and went way overboard with the french thing, now correct me if I'm wrong but the actually good window 2 years ago the only successful signing from France was Cabaye (Ba came from Germany via West Ham) and iirc the only other direct from france that season was Marveaux which has not been a success. Since then has any of our direct from France signings been a success?

the club got caught up in its own cleverness over the unprecedented actions of actually researching signings and went way overboard with the french thing, now correct me if I'm wrong but the actually good window 2 years ago the only successful signing from France was Cabaye (Ba came from Germany via West Ham) and iirc the only other direct from france that season was Marveaux which has not been a success. Since then has any of our direct from France signings been a success?

TWT

(time will tell)

Slowly leaning towards the Carr policy being too much, too soon. In all honesty though, what the fuck is Pardew there for then? He could've stepped in any time and recruited players with PL experience.

Slowly leaning towards the Carr policy being too much, too soon. In all honesty though, what the fuck is Pardew there for then? He could've stepped in any time and recruited players with PL experience.

the only guy who listened to Pardew was Llambias and he left in disgust over JFK's appointment, what makes you think Ashley will listen to Pardew in any capacity atm when he get either not sign anyone or buy some french nobody on the cheap

Pardew has been banging the PL experience drum and he's damn right but the fools in charge are refusing to admit they've fucked up badly

Still too early to tell really. I think Mapou in particular has potential to be an excellent CB.

Still too early to tell really. I think Mapou in particular has potential to be an excellent CB.

possibly but it still looks like he can be easily bullied by the more powerful strikers. The others though? Sissoko when did he last appear at all? Debuchy has shown nothing but being Babayaro mk2 times 100 and Gouffran has this tendency to vanish from match's. (not including Haidara as he's a kid and it would be harsh to judge him) 3 of those guys are French internationals ffs they should be better than what they've shown and show some leadership show a little fight not the abject surrenders the moment something slightly goes wrong we've been getting.

I'm still of the opinion that Sissoko is a good player who's been chronically mismanaged since joining the club. He's a box-to-box central midfielder who can make those link-up runs and crash the box from time to time. He's not a RM, LM, DM, or AM. Pardew seems to love to play him everywhere but his natural position.

Sissoko and Mapou have everything in them and about them to be top players - they just need to be played with the right premiership experience around them, and a better manager to help adapt and develop them to this league.

I'm still of the opinion that Sissoko is a good player who's been chronically mismanaged since joining the club. He's a box-to-box central midfielder who can make those link-up runs and crash the box from time to time. He's not a RM, LM, DM, or AM. Pardew seems to love to play him everywhere but his natural position.

I'm about to drop a bomb here.

Black footballer with natural, elegant technique, great vision and football intelligence are a rare commodity.

That has nothing to do with race or any of this genes bullshit you may heard in athletics. It's more of a cultural thing, and we also have to blame our football educator who marginalize, reduce, stigmatize them to big number 6 in front of the defence or big strong winger/striker.

Such mentality doesn't exist in Spain or Holland, that's why they were able to produce or improve players like Eto'o, Yaya Touré, Makélélé,Seedorf Rijkaard, E.Davids,Gullit etc..

Look what Obi Mikel, Essien have become...

What? Plenty have great technical ability. The only thing I agree with is players like Mikel & Essien have been forced to play as DM's a lot of their career due to a level of stigma. Both are great technically though.

The problem is the team is unbalanced.

The midfield is gash, don't care what anyone says. Little to no creativity, no width, a striker who looks like wind could knock him over and many more problems.

Doesn't help when half of our so called better players are not performing.

For example Tiote, Jonas, Taylor and Cisse have been crap for ages and Debuchy has been poor also although he could improve with time.

Agreed.

They are all being chronically mismanaged. The only way in which the 'The Graham Carr experiment' has failed is that we didn't ask him to help us locate a manager in the summer.

This is probably now an unpopular opinion. :dontknow:

I guess I opened up a can of worms calling it "The Graham Carr Experiment" ... Great talent spotter and contact(s) man who's suggestions were not properly filtered by ensuring they'd fit together in a given system or team.  This is compounded with a poor manager who has no skill-set to build a team nor does he have that remit as manager of this club.  The talent that has eventually been signed have been watered down to region & contract issues that were then poorly managed/developed by Alan Pardew and the coaching staff.

I wonder...would be nice to see Graham Carr's FULL list of players - I'd imagine most of them were filtered out as too expensive from transfer fee & wage requests.

Sissoko's quality still shone through at times yesterday, no doubt about it for me. He has all the qualities to make it as a very good footballer in this league, it's just down to how well he is managed but also how much work he puts in.

Think it's very harsh blaming Carr (not sure if that's what people are actually doing, mind), seeing as he's working on a f***ing laughable budget.

From what I can gather and hypothesize, he's doing the absolute best hes capable of in terms of operating the scouting within a very strict and confined criteria. His job as scout to research and find talent is top notch, I think the role of the manager has been minimized so much here that at other clubs - a manager would identify if the specific player can adapt and fit into this league and/or team - which is something I'm not sure Pardew has much say in OR has clearly failed and hasn't a clue how to identify that.

Sissoko's quality still shone through at times yesterday, no doubt about it for me. He has all the qualities to make it as a very good footballer in this league, it's just down to how well he is managed but also how much work he puts in.

His passing is s***.

Played a lush one to assist Cisse in his first game away to Villa. Can't remember too many others off my head but I suppose he has it in his locker somewhere. Down near the back. Old jazz mags and pogs may be covering it.