Freddie Woodman (now playing for Preston North End)

sempuki

Either that, or he’ll be the excuse for why we sell Dubravka next summer if we survive.

Sadly probably right. He's already getting looked at from some CL sides. If we can get £20m for him that's Ashley salivating at the profit.

• 1 year later...

Is it class being a Swansea City fan, Groo[/member] ? A generation of flitting between the bottom rungs of the football league before everything clicks around 2008 and then it's cruising all the way to the Premier League, domestic silverware, holding their own in European excursions; new stadium, talented managers, Michu, Bony, Montero, Sigurdsson... and rarely a properly stinking season. I know it kinda went to pot for a while after the Americans came in, what with Bradley and Paul Clement (what happened to him?), but it looks like you've steadied yourselves and always competed for promotion since dropping. That win against Norwich puts you in a great position for the automatics this season, and then you're back.

Have I got it all wrong or is it generally a pretty good club to support? I know we're historically a bigger club and we're a division above right now, but I feel like I've been jealous of Swansea City for about ten years. :lol:

To me you loan him out constantly and keep paying him to be ok with that arrangement until he’s ready for the starting role. I’d even pay a club to take him on loan and look after him tbh. Under proper owners. 

Swansea and Bournemouth are two of the scummiest clubs in world football to be honest.

They have both gone from the depths of the lower leagues and possible obliteration to the Premier League, and rather than being a beacon of inspiration for upward mobility of other lower league clubs, they have repeatedly voted in favour of measures that benefit them in expense of the lower leagues.

Hypocrites of the highest order who I hope get their just deserts and a trip back to the bottom half of League 2

Swansea and Bournemouth are two of the scummiest clubs in world football to be honest.

They have both gone from the depths of the lower leagues and possible obliteration to the Premier League, and rather than being a beacon of inspiration for upward mobility of other lower league clubs, they have repeatedly voted in favour of measures that benefit them in expense of the lower leagues.

Hypocrites of the highest order who I hope get their just deserts and a trip back to the bottom half of League 2

Such an exaggeration - as if any club isn't going to vote for measures that benefit themselves  :lol: Two of the scummiest clubs in world football ffs  :lol:

https://theathletic.co.uk/2381525/2021/02/18/freddie-woodman-benitez-told-me-how-to-make-saves-and-my-dad-disagreed/

“Me and Arma speak about this quite often,” Woodman says. “We came back from winning a World Cup with England and I remember seeing Rafa (Benitez, the then-Newcastle manager). He slapped me on the face and said, ‘Well done’. That was literally it. All the other players were getting raved about.

“It was a low point for me because nothing really happened in my career. I didn’t get to push on, I didn’t go on loan and I wasn’t even on the bench. I remember thinking, ‘How can I go from the Golden Glove and winning the World Cup, to playing in the under-23s?’ I was absolutely fuming; I probably thought maybe I was bigger than I was. It was definitely a reality check.”

"Every coach has different styles. I talked with Rafa on numerous occasions; he loved his goalkeeping and he’d tell me to get low and try and block, like Pepe Reina. I remember going home to my dad and saying, ‘Rafa wants me to do this’ and he was like, ‘No, that’s not proper goalkeeping. You need to dive at their feet’. It made me think, ‘God, there are just so many different styles’. None of them are right or wrong. They’re just different. It’s important to find the one that works for you.”

https://theathletic.co.uk/2381525/2021/02/18/freddie-woodman-benitez-told-me-how-to-make-saves-and-my-dad-disagreed/

“Me and Arma speak about this quite often,” Woodman says. “We came back from winning a World Cup with England and I remember seeing Rafa (Benitez, the then-Newcastle manager). He slapped me on the face and said, ‘Well done’. That was literally it. All the other players were getting raved about.

“It was a low point for me because nothing really happened in my career. I didn’t get to push on, I didn’t go on loan and I wasn’t even on the bench. I remember thinking, ‘How can I go from the Golden Glove and winning the World Cup, to playing in the under-23s?’ I was absolutely fuming; I probably thought maybe I was bigger than I was. It was definitely a reality check.”

"Every coach has different styles. I talked with Rafa on numerous occasions; he loved his goalkeeping and he’d tell me to get low and try and block, like Pepe Reina. I remember going home to my dad and saying, ‘Rafa wants me to do this’ and he was like, ‘No, that’s not proper goalkeeping. You need to dive at their feet’. It made me think, ‘God, there are just so many different styles’. None of them are right or wrong. They’re just different. It’s important to find the one that works for you.”

]

'Winning a World Cup' ffs. It means absolutely fuck all.

They touch on the issue of him having never been to the British seaside (until his stint in Wales). Absolutely mind boggling you can get to your twenties, spending a good few years in Newcastle along the way, and not see the coastline. :lol:

Rob Elliot not teach him how to jump the Metro to the coast?

:lol:

“In Newcastle, I was young and a bit of a lad. I didn’t really go anywhere beyond the city centre. Rob Elliot lived on the coast and he’d tell me, ‘It’s lovely, you’ve got to check it out’. I’d think, ‘Nah, it’s a bit cold…’. I’d always go the other way, into Hexham or Corbridge, if I was heading for a day out.

• 4 months later...

Rumour on our site that we're looking to take Woodman on another year loan.

Not everyone happy, a lot think we should be playing Benda our own keeper rather than another loan. There's quite a debate on whether he's good enough, pointing to the defenders in front of him for the clean sheets. Quite a few think he's too slow in distribution and gives the ball away with bad distribution.

We may lose Cooper this weekend to Fulham, so the desire to take him may end anyway.

• 1 month later...

Didn't expect to see Freddie starting for you guys.

As I mentioned above, a number of our fans didn't want him to return, many thought he wasn't brave enough, stuck on his line when he should be coming out and poor distribution.

I always thought he did OK with us but I think Benda is an improvement. The funny thing is, because of the clean sheets most other fans think Woodman is a big loss and reading other fans site now they all think Benda is a liability, whereas our fans love Benda and think he'll go on to bigger things.

I'll be interested to see how FW gets on from here.

He waited a long time for his chance and he got it when the team looks completely out of shape and focus (obviously because of the manager),  like Toney and Armstrong i feel like if he leaves us he's going to find himself as a key player in another club in a few years.