Africa Cup of Nations 2019

Toon Hoser

The tournament is getting a little more exciting now.

South Africa deserved to beat Egypt. They looked neat and tidy in their build up play if they had a bit more quality and composure in the final third they could probably go further in the tournament.

I still have not forgiven or forgotten the 2000 AFCON final from my childhood, so it is always special to beat Cameroon. Close match, but outside of a 5 to 10 minute spell of defensive madness when Cameroon scored twice, I thought the Super Eagles were a better side than the Lions. Iwobi, Ighalo, and Musa have been rightly criticised for their performances thus far, but did really well today along with Etebo. The manager needs to wake up and play Chukwueze the rest of the way.

The tournament is getting a little more exciting now.

South Africa deserved to beat Egypt. They looked neat and tidy in their build up play if they had a bit more quality and composure in the final third they could probably go further in the tournament.

100%. Egypt had been unconvincing and Salah looked sick or unfit today. It is still stunning they have bowed out so soon, but honestly Morocco losing was the bigger surprise to me. The rest of tournament will be miserable in terms of crowd, there won't be any locals at all.

Credit to Bafana Bafana, they are a good side, usually the problem against top African sides is that they are not physical enough. They've done very well against Nigeria recently as well. I'm not sure it's an easier draw, should be a good match.

Madagascar are serious, man. They've been the better side again against DRC, and Amada just knocked the goal of the tournament. Very organised and well-drilled side who are a threat. DRC aren't playing badly though, Bakambu equalised and Mbemba should have scored.

Feel like Mane should be in the running for Ballon D'or if Senegal win AFCON. Golden Boot in PL. Major part of CL winning team although he didn't score many.

I'd always favour attackers over defenders for the competition if poss.

Good shout.

Should just be a separate award for keepers with them being exempt from the main one IMO

Agree with that - though I guess others may argue that because one has been segregated other positions should follow?

Feel like Mane should be in the running for Ballon D'or if Senegal win AFCON. Golden Boot in PL. Major part of CL winning team although he didn't score many.

I agree that Mane should be considered, but let us be honest, it will have nothing to do with AFCON. The competition is not highly regarded enough. He has not been great in the competition anyway, just good. Also, I do not believe Allsion was particularly spectacular for Liverpool or Brazil, despite the decorated year for both. Messi was once again the best footballer at club level by a distance, but the high profile semifinal failures will prevent him from winning. It'll likely be Van Dijk because of the press.

Anyway, the quarterfinals are starting shortly:

Senegal

Benin

Tunisia

Madagascar

Algeria

CIV

Nigeria

South Africa

---------

Senegal up first. Saivet starts again. :lol: They have never won the competition and with the talent they have and the position they are in, this is surely the best chance. That side of the draw seems weak. Tunisia and Benin have both yet to win a match and Madagascar is a nice story, but still Madagascar. One of those four will be in the final.

Naija-SA later on. We should be favoured but, I am nervous. SA are a good side (physically small, but quick and skillful), and we have only played well in spurts.

I agree that Mane should be considered, but let us be honest, it will have nothing to do with AFCON. The competition is not highly regarded enough. He has not been great in the competition anyway, just good. Also, I do not believe Allsion was particularly spectacular for Liverpool or Brazil, despite the decorated year for both. Messi was once again the best footballer at club level by a distance, but the high profile semifinal failures will prevent him from winning. It'll likely be Van Dijk because of the press.

Anyway, the quarterfinals are starting shortly:

Senegal

Benin

Tunisia

Madagascar

Algeria

CIV

Nigeria

South Africa

---------

Senegal up first. Saivet starts again. :lol: They have never won the competition and with the talent they have and the position they are in, this is surely the best chance. That side of the draw seems weak. Tunisia and Benin have both yet to win a match and Madagascar is a nice story, but still Madagascar. One of those four will be in the final.

Naija-SA later on. We should be favoured but, I am nervous. SA are a good side (physically small, but quick and skillful), and we have only played well in spurts.

Should be a Senegal v Algeria final but I think theres still a few shocks left

Guest chopey

Got to give these African fans credit ......................that's how you boycott a game empty seats all over the shop, their owner must be as bad as Ashley

VAR :clap:

Absolutely crucial to have it there.

Will it get any credit? Nope.

All this time you spend running around shrining VAR. It won't love you back, man.

Naija are through! Algeria or CIV next. This match was annoying, tbh. It should have been 3 or 4-0. Musa and Ighalo were at their worst tonight. Musa beating players and making the wrong choice every single time, Ighalo too busy tangling with defenders and missing easy chances, just to concede a rubbish undeserved goal. Luckily, Ekong came to the rescue at the death. Starting to enjoy this team, Chukwueze is a star, Ndidi and Etebo are both relentless.

Got to give these African fans credit ......................that's how you boycott a game empty seats all over the shop, their owner must be as bad as Ashley

:lol: If only the Geordies could match the utter apathy of the Egyptians.

VAR :clap:

Absolutely crucial to have it there.

Will it get any credit? Nope.

All this time you spend running around shrining VAR. It won't love you back, man.

It will I’ve watched 1 Red for the opposition in the Premier League in 6 years :laugh:

VAR will definitely love Newcastle Utd more than football did without it.