Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle United - 14/09/19 - reaction from page 11

BlueStar

Frustrates me when we beat ourselves with mistakes on these types of margins.

I thought Joelinton needed to have a wack at goal in the second half instead of laying it off. Man needs to strike the ball ffs.

Guest Howaythetoon

My first Toon game since Fulham away last season, here’s my match report if anyone’s interested... :lol:

Well, I’m more determined than ever to stay clear of watching any NUFC games after today. I’d didn’t exactly watch the game as I was driving myself and two others home from London (work colleagues who on their day off are brother and brother from another mother), but they desperately wanted to watch the match today. We had planned to set off at 7.00am this morning so they would get home just in time for it, but after a tough week away working we all somehow ended up sleeping in. Well I did. They can’t drive so we leave when I’m ready, or not!

We eventually set off after 9.00am and we had t even pulled away from the car park and they were trying to get 5 live on. The radio on the van isn’t the best though and I’m not one for listening to it anyway, I prefer listening to stuff on Spotify, so listening to the match on the radio was out of the question full stop and staying over another night in London or stopping somewhere just so they could watch the match was definitely not an option either.

Sorry lads, I’m sure MOTD will have it on!

I wasn’t bothered at all, I just wanted to get us home, they are both, however, Ashley hating, none match going, shirt buying, or giving money to Ashley for anything else, massive passionate Toon fans who love the club and love watching them and cheering them on.

We could have went home yesterday, but I wanted to see my sister in London and didn’t fancy getting home 2 in the morning so I was conscious they were sacrificing potentially not getting to watch the match.

They know I have a huge fuck off iPad with the BT Sports App and fantastic internet connection for business use though so they pestered me from setting off pretty much after giving up on the radio to let them put the match on at kick-off.

So I did, anything to shut them up and I thought it’s a long drive, we are all tired and irritated with each other, it will help pass time away and give us something different to talk about. That and I know how badly they wanted to watch the match and how much they love seeing the Toon play.

So right in time for some of the buildup they positioned the iPad on the top of the dash bang in the centre and for 2 and a half hours they were glued to the screen and even though I’m driving, not interested in NUFC anymore and unable to watch the game, I could listen what was going on and catch an occasional glimpse of play without having to divert my eyes fully to the screen.

The other two were obviously keenly interested in what was happening and cheered like mad when they took the lead and although I didn’t feel any emotion, I was pleased for them and thought what a cracking goal.

As the game wore on my co-passengers went from quietly watching proceedings just happy to sit still in silence focusing intently on the match especially after the opening goal that they sometimes would break from with the odd burst of over animated gesticulating physically or verbally, paralysed by feeling content with how well it was going for their team in black and white to the complete opposite of that once Liverpool equalised, increasing at 2-1, then 3-1, tipping the Richter scale the most during the time from their 3rd and the final whistle whenever someone in black and white lost the ball, kicked it long or didn’t ‘take the cunt out’ in a tackle.

From full of hope and full on positivity before kick-off and a state of delirium at 1-0 to a state of content at 1-1 to full on doom and gloom at 2-1 and after. I didn’t need to look at their faces, look at the scoreline on the iPad’s screen, listen to their shouting and screaming or any running commentary to get a sense of their anger, frustration, hurt, complaint, resentment, concern, disappointment and unhappiness though, I could feel it because the bastards (my passengers) ended up passing it my way too.

Unlike them however, my emotional on and off switch wasn’t flicked on by Newcastle United losing. When they scored the opening goal, I felt nothing. I was actually genuinely pleased for my mates sat next to me, happy for them. When it went to 1-1 I drew a wry smirk and if anything laughed out loud in my mind mentally.

At 2-1 though I couldn’t help myself any longer and spoke aloud what I was and had been thinking the more my passengers got angry, upset, frustrated, complained, shouted and bawled about and slagged the manager, players, owner, club, and everything else off for while not long before they were the best thing since sliced bread. Fickle cunts!

‘All morning and all day that’s all yous have banged on about, watching the game. And here I was actually considering leaving at 7.00am for yous. I’ve turned off my music for yous, given yous my password to access my iPad, let yous save your own internet data to instead use my for business use only data and above all else, let yous put a downer on my mood.’

‘You sad bastards, it’s not as if you didn’t know what was going to happen anyway, what did yous expect? Do you know what ha fucking ha, I hope the cunts get fucking hammered now just to piss yous off, howay Liverpool.’

I cheered that 3rd goal like a Shearer winner. I hammered Almiron, Shelvey, Bruce, I ripped into them all and let rip how big a mug my two Toon Army bum chums were and for a spell had we not been sat in a van we’d have been scrapping and kicking the crap out of each other, a culmination of being cooped up together all week on the road working, them angry Newcastle were losing, me angry they give a fuck, they resenting I don’t and me resenting myself for actually wanting them to have no joy the most, which would give me my most joy.

I mocked their support which they in turn mocked mine. Call yourselves fans, you don’t even go to games, you don’t buy tops, you don’t give a fuck because if you did, you’d be cheering on Liverpool like me, at least the wongaloids go to games and buy shirts, yous just sit and slag the team in front of the telly (or an iPad). Pathetic!

Anyway... after the match, we calmed down, we had nothing to say really, exhausted from arguing, calling each other worse than shit and mostly sleep deprived. The 80 miles or so home was sat in almost complete silence and apart from coming away with a new nickname on the van ‘wor placky’ because I’m a plastic to them and a few bruises from the extra nasty insults we will need to make up on Monday, we are all good friends still and nothing has changed where NUFC is concerned with me at least and no doubt them, long as NUFC are out of mind, out of sight and out of all the talk anyway. So they are banned on my van from now on too.

The crazy thing is, 12 years ago leaving London on a match day, we’d go out of our way to be sat together at Anfield or St. James’ or around a screen in a pub, proud to get together to get behind the lads win lose or draw, because that’s the fun bit, that’s the joy or should be, but it’s not. And that hurts the most how something we’ve done so much the 3 of us and had some of the best times together made us happy whatever the result, the manager, the team, the league. And now makes us want to kill each other whenever the Toon is involved.

You are.

Which is what elite managers like Rafa do in the pursuit of success and excellence.

If Schar does what you wanted and the ball gets flicked to Wijnaldum, then he’d be at fault.

Can't really be viewed in such isolation, Dummett and Manquilo make bigger mistakes that contribute more to this than Schar. Bit of a mess all round and it was a great touch by Firmino.

You are.

Which is what elite managers like Rafa do in the pursuit of success and excellence.

We don't have an elite manager any more though. There is no pursuit of success or excellence allowed at NUFC.

My first Toon game since Fulham away last season, here’s my match report if anyone’s interested... :lol:

Well, I’m more determined than ever to stay clear of watching any NUFC games after today. I’d didn’t exactly watch the game as I was driving myself and two others home from London (work colleagues who on their day off are brother and brother from another mother), but they desperately wanted to watch the match today. We had planned to set off at 7.00am this morning so they would get home just in time for it, but after a tough week away working we all somehow ended up sleeping in. Well I did. They can’t drive so we leave when I’m ready, or not!

We eventually set off after 9.00am and we had t even pulled away from the car park and they were trying to get 5 live on. The radio on the van isn’t the best though and I’m not one for listening to it anyway, I prefer listening to stuff on Spotify, so listening to the match on the radio was out of the question full stop and staying over another night in London or stopping somewhere just so they could watch the match was definitely not an option either.

I wasn’t bothered at all, I just wanted to get us home, they are both, however, Ashley hating, none match going, shirt buying, or giving money to Ashley for anything else, massive passionate Toon fans who love the club and love watching them and cheering them on.

We could have went home yesterday, but I wanted to see my sister in London and didn’t fancy getting home 2 in the morning so I was conscious they were sacrificing potentially not getting to watch the match.

They know I have a huge fuck off iPad with the BT Sports App and fantastic internet connection for business use though so they pestered me from setting off pretty much after giving up on the radio to let them put the match on at kick-off.

So I did, anything to shut them up and I thought it’s a long drive, we are all tired and irritated with each other, it will help pass time away and give us something different to talk about. That and I know how badly they wanted to watch the match and how much they love seeing the Toon play.

So right in time for some of the buildup they positioned the iPad on the top of the dash bang in the centre and for 2 and a half hours they were glued to the screen and even though I’m driving, not interested in NUFC anymore and unable to watch the game, I could listen what was going on and catch an occasional glimpse of play without having to divert my eyes fully to the screen.

The other two were obviously keenly interested in what was happening and cheered like mad when they took the lead and although I didn’t feel any emotion, I was pleased for them and thought what a cracking goal.

As the game wore on my co-passengers went from quietly watching proceedings just happy to sit still in silence focusing intently on the match especially after the opening goal that they sometimes would break from with the odd burst of over animated gesticulating physically or verbally, paralysed by feeling content with how well it was going for their team in black and white to the complete opposite of that once Liverpool equalised, increasing at 2-1, then 3-1, tipping the Richter scale the most during the time from their 3rd and the final whistle whenever someone in black and white lost the ball, kicked it long or didn’t ‘take the cunt out’ in a tackle.

From full of hope and full on positivity before kick-off and a state of delirium at 1-0 to a state of content at 1-1 to full on doom and gloom at 2-1 and after. I didn’t need to look at their faces, look at the scoreline on the iPad’s screen, listen to their shouting and screaming or any running commentary to get a sense of their anger, frustration, hurt, complaint, resentment, concern, disappointment and unhappiness though, I could feel it because the bastards (my passengers) ended up passing it my way too.

Unlike them however, my emotional on and off switch wasn’t flicked on by Newcastle United losing. When they scored the opening goal, I felt nothing. I was actually genuinely pleased for my mates sat next to me, happy for them. When it went to 1-1 I drew a wry smirk and if anything laughed out loud in my mind mentally.

At 2-1 though I couldn’t help myself any longer and spoke aloud what I was and had been thinking the more my passengers got angry, upset, frustrated, complained, shouted and bawled about and slagged the manager, players, owner, club, and everything else off for while not long before they were the best thing since sliced bread. Fickle cunts!

‘All morning and all day that’s all yous have banged on about, watching the game. And here I was actually considering leaving at 7.00am for yous. I’ve turned off my music for yous, given yous my password to access my iPad, let yous save your own internet data to instead use my for business use only data and above all else, let yous put a downer on my mood.’

‘You sad bastards, it’s not as if you didn’t know what was going to happen anyway, what did yous expect? Do you know what ha fucking ha, I hope the cunts get fucking hammered now just to piss yous off, howay Liverpool.’

I cheered that 3rd goal like a Shearer winner. I hammered Almiron, Shelvey, Bruce, I ripped into them all and let rip how big a mug my two Toon Army bum chums were and for a spell had we not been sat in a van we’d have been scrapping and kicking the crap out of each other, a culmination of being cooped up together all week on the road working, them angry Newcastle were losing, me angry they give a fuck, they resenting I don’t and me resenting myself for actually wanting them to have no joy the most, which would give me my most joy.

I mocked their support which they in turn mocked mine. Call yourselves fans, you don’t even go to games, you don’t buy tops, you don’t give a fuck because if you did, you’d be cheering on Liverpool like me, at least the wongaloids go to games and buy shirts, yous just sit and slag the team in front of the telly (or an iPad). Pathetic!

Anyway... after the match, we calmed down, we had nothing to say really, exhausted from arguing, calling each other worse than shit and mostly sleep deprived. The 80 miles or so home was sat in almost complete silence and apart from coming away with a new nickname on the van ‘wor placky’ because I’m a plastic to them and a few bruises from the extra nasty insults we will need to make up on Monday, we are all good friends still and nothing has changed where NUFC is concerned with me at least and no doubt them, long as NUFC are out of mind, out of sight and out of all the talk anyway. So they are banned on my van from now on too.

The crazy thing is, 12 years ago leaving London on a match day, we’d go out of our way to be sat together at Anfield or St. James’ or around a screen in a pub, proud to get together to get behind the lads win lose or draw, because that’s the fun bit, that’s the joy or should be, but it’s not. And that hurts the most how something we’ve done so much the 3 of us and had some of the best times together made us happy whatever the result, the manager, the team, the league. And now makes us want to kill each other whenever the Toon is involved.

tl:dr - Couple of guys watched the match on an ipad in the van.  HTT wasn't bothered.

See we're still happy to have the enormous gap between the midfield and forwards. Basically sit you're midfield on top of your back five, leave Almiron as some sort of box to box headless chicken with Joelinton like the rest of us wondering what the fuck he's supposed to do.

It's no wonder a fullback scored today and our second best chance fell again to a fullback, because on occasions they are the only attacking outlet.

Pure shit to sit through.

It's not good to watch, but I'm not sure we'd do any better if we pressed higher up the pitch. If you do that, you need players who can score goals because you will be a lot more open to counters.

Didn't worry Norwich with half their squad out embarrassing the champions. If we are going to approach games with a we'll lose anyway mentality or if we lose let's not make it by 6 or 7, we may as well stick out the under 23s.

See we're still happy to have the enormous gap between the midfield and forwards. Basically sit you're midfield on top of your back five, leave Almiron as some sort of box to box headless chicken with Joelinton like the rest of us wondering what the fuck he's supposed to do.

It's no wonder a fullback scored today and our second best chance fell again to a fullback, because on occasions they are the only attacking outlet.

It's not good to watch, but I'm not sure we'd do any better if we pressed higher up the pitch. If you do that, you need players who can score goals because you will be a lot more open to counters.

Didn't worry Norwich with half their squad out embarrassing the champions. If we are going to approach games with a we'll lose anyway mentality or if we lose let's not make it by 6 or 7, we may as well stick out the under 23s.

I read in one of the other threads that Norwich only had 31% possession though. Seems like they changed their approach to a more defensive one as well.

Norwich scored from a corner, a counter attack, and a howler by a defender. They defended well and had a great day overall. Their players didn’t make many mistakes and it could easily have been one of the best they’ll ever play in their collective careers in terms of individual and team performances.

Man City missed numerous chances in front of goal that you’d say 90% of the time they would score from. This includes headers that glanced over and hit post and shots right at the keeper from point blank.

I read in one of the other threads that Norwich only had 31% possession though. Seems like they changed their approach to a more defensive one as well.

That's a reasonable amount of possession against City.

When we played Man City in 2017 and camped on our goal line, the first half saw City with 85% possession.

A newly promoted side like norwich didn't approach this game any differently, so far in the games they have played they have approached them all the same, especially at home, their attitude so far has been to have a go at sides. They embarrassed us at their place, they had a right go at Liverpool lost 4-1 but with 42% possession? At home they dont seem to care who's put in front of them.

Before anyone else adds anything, I'm never claiming we should be beating this Liverpool side away, but equally im not expecting a newly promoted injury ravaged side to beat the most expensive side in football. But im impressed with their approach to games and that they didn't go into it thinking well probably lose this regardless.

Guest Howaythetoon

tl:dr - Couple of guys watched the match on an ipad in the van.  HTT wasn't bothered.

You read that shit :lol: probably more bothered than I let on 😢

That's a reasonable amount of possession against City.

When we played Man City in 2017 and camped on our goal line, the first half saw City with 85% possession.

A newly promoted side like norwich didn't approach this game any differently, so far in the games they have played they have approached them all the same, especially at home, their attitude so far has been to have a go at sides. They embarrassed us at their place, they had a right go at Liverpool lost 4-1 but with 42% possession? At home they dont seem to care who's put in front of them.

Before anyone else adds anything, I'm never claiming we should be beating this Liverpool side away, but equally im not expecting a newly promoted injury ravaged side to beat the most expensive side in football. But im impressed with their approach to games and that they didn't go into it thinking well probably lose this regardless.

Not sure our team can do what Norwich do tbh. They have a lot of quick nippy players in their team. Our’s are more physical. We only really have Atsu and Almiron that can run with the ball. Not sure I'd even want them going that way. Think the structured approach is the way to go.