Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

He's fairly promising for his age and gets a lot of undue stick due to the perception that he's one of Pardew's "favorites." I do think his long-term position is centerback.

He hasn't got any undue stick like. You would expect a 22 year old LB to at least look relatively comfortable with the ball at his foot. He got a six year contract for scoring a goal against Liverpool ffs.

He might be better as a CB but think he's too small for that and he hasn't shown any redeeming qualities so far apart from the two goals. Hope he gets better obviously but it's hard to see much potential in him.

He's fairly promising for his age and gets a lot of undue stick due to the perception that he's one of Pardew's "favorites." I do think his long-term position is centerback.

That's not even half true man.

^^whatever Pata said :thup:

He hasn't got any undue stick like. You would expect a 22 year old LB to at least look relatively comfortable with the ball at his foot. He got a six year contract for scoring a goal against Liverpool ffs.

He might be better as a CB but think he's too small for that and he hasn't shown any redeeming qualities so far apart from the two goals. Hope he gets better obviously but it's hard to see much potential in him.

Yup. He's the definition of average - on a good day. I don't know what he brings to the table. The most you can expect from him is not fucking up and popping up with the occasional goal. He's still young enough, so i hope he can prove me wrong.

He doesn't look like a player with potential to me. Whenever someone has no real footballing ability it's not often that they become any good. Young defenders who become good are usually good footballers that look like they have a mistake in them until they mature. Gary Cahill looked like that at Bolton and now he's very solid at Chelsea. Dummet just looks like another clogger who can stick his foot in and hoof it and even then, he's not even great at those limited things.

Perhaps we just have different expectations.  Not looking like a complete liability at Premiership level and popping in with the occasional goal isn't a bad place for a young defender to be.

He's never going to be world-class or anything, but he's hardly a worthless player.  He's already much, much better than Ramage was.

Don't gemme wrong, as I've said the following sentence over and over again on this board over eons, I hope he improves and it's not like I'm totally writing him off.

I've now said the same sentence for the likes of Gosling, Obertan, Alan fucking Smith, Geremi, etc.

I've been right surprisingly plenty of times :lol: It's more to do with the gashers we sign than anything else.

That's the nature of young players though, they might pan out but they might not too.  Risk is inherent. (Smith and Geremi were already ridiculously over the hill by the time they joined so they're not really relevant)

Of course everything that can go wrong does go wrong at this club, so young players do tend to fail more often than not. 

Dummett is a decent prospect and it's absurd to claim that you're already confident what level he'll be playing at ultimately.

Didn't claim anything about his level, but in agreement with the tempering of expectations you mentioned earlier. I'll be happy with him as a backup for a more ball-playing fullback (or better CB). He could be the next Willo in the future, who knows. Certainly not writing him off. All I said was he's shown very, very little promise, as a first-choice fullback. I don't even remember how he did as a CB.

Perhaps we just have different expectations.  Not looking like a complete liability at Premiership level and popping in with the occasional goal isn't a bad place for a young defender to be.

He's never going to be world-class or anything, but he's hardly a worthless player.  He's already much, much better than Ramage was.

BTW, Ramage looked bloody good in one game in which he made his name :) It escapes me now whom it was against.

BTW, Ramage looked bloody good in one game in which he made his name :) It escapes me now whom it was against.

Blyth Spartans?

He might be better as a CB but think he's too small for that

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but he's about the same height as Coloccini, who you love, and naturally bigger than him too.

Knew this was coming. :lol:

If you are a short CB you have to be good at other things. Colo quite clearly was(/is?) while Dummett is just a shorter Williamson.

Is Dummet even young or is he just inexperienced? He's 22 isn't he and that's a bit worrying. He's not a 17 year old defender who is a bit slim and needs the years to grow into his physique.  So he's not going to suddenly become faster or a physical juggernaut. He's pretty much how he is and then it's all about his footballing ability. He can get better positionaly because you can be taught that. I'm not sure where the extra talent for passing and reading the game is going to come from. He could become solidly average in his position like when Williamson has a good game, but probably nothing more than that. Heading and tackling, which he's not bad at, are decent things for a defender to have in their locker at least.

That's why it's not just about Haidara having more 'glamour'. He probably isn't as solid as Dummet in some ways yet, but he looks to have so much more room to grow. His passing, crossing, dribbling and sense of how to avoid hoofing it all show more promise to me. He also looks to have more pace and ability to read a situation. He probably isn't quite as solid with his tackling or aerially yet. I'd be surprised if Dummet ended up the better of the two. It's got nothing to do with who has more glamour or who is a local lad, at least not for me.  Santon is still a lot better than both and he's far from being that good.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but he's about the same height as Coloccini, who you love, and naturally bigger than him too.

Coloccini wins a surprising amount of aerial battles considering his size and he's a decent footballer as well. If Dummett is better in all these departments would you suggest that he could do a better job at centre back than Colo?

Coloccini wins a surprising amount of aerial battles considering his size and he's a decent footballer as well. If Dummett is better in all these departments would you suggest that he could do a better job at centre back than Colo?

No, because Dummett isn't a CB. Certainly not yet.

I want to see Dummett do well because there's fuck all familiarity at the club these days. Nice to see him score but I don't rate him. It's a shame we don't have the squad available to give him a proper loan somewhere.