Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Man City being kicked out of Europe would make absolutely no difference to any takeover (if it was even happening). First scenario means Man City have to start getting rid of players so it then gives every other team a chance to catch them and as Liverpool shows a well run club doing it properly can do enough to get to the top. Second scenario and most likely Man City take UEFA to court and win destroying the whole financial fair play farce once and for all  so again another win win for any potential owner. And bare in mind this investigation has been going on by UEFA for ages so any would be owner would have been aware of it.

Completely agree with all of that, well said.

Even if we were about to become one of the super rich (it's kinda heartening that people still believe this I suppose but it ain't happening, Ashley will never ever make a reasonable, sensible decision) we should applaud this decision as even a minor hurt to the league as it is, which is shit. Some teams have a lot of money compete for the title, everyone else just competes for bragging rights and nothing else. It is absurd, the quality of the premier league this season by any metric has been shocking and if viewing figures were based on merit alone noone in their right mind would be watching it this season. It won't make a difference anyway but still, the idea that this much money is good for football remains terrible.

That whole curry night was the most blatant setup I've seen.

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that Staveley isn't what she seems. It's the only thing that makes any sense really.

I think scepticism is healthy where this club and takeover rumours are concerned, and I also think where she is concerned.

Ashley being impossible to buy from makes a lot of sense too TBF.

Guest neesy111

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that Staveley isn't what she seems. It's the only thing that makes any sense really.

I think scepticism is healthy where this club and takeover rumours are concerned, and I also think where she is concerned.

Remember that Barry moat was also a setup.

Ashley being impossible to buy from makes a lot of sense too TBF.

unless i'm mistaken she brokered the man city deal no?  i'm sure she's gone from that to willingly playing games for mike ashley :lol:

Even if they did take over, UEFA have pretty much stopped any hopes of becoming a long term elite club.

Fine. I just want this club out of the coma its been in for 13years first.

Besides we've got a lot of natural potential to be re unleashed.

Even if they did take over, UEFA have pretty much stopped any hopes of becoming a long term elite club.

At best, without ‘doing a City’ we’d become a 5th-8th placed club with the odd top 4 finish and cup run. I know we’d die for that given the last 13 years but that’s not competition. You can’t organically become a title contender. Spurs have been the closest to do it but even if they won one title, they were hardly going to be regular contenders. It’ll just be Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, then the rest.

The Express and Daily Mail. Mate you need to change where you’re getting your news from.

At best, without ‘doing a City’ we’d become a 5th-8th placed club with the odd top 4 finish and cup run. I know we’d die for that given the last 13 years but that’s not competition. You can’t organically become a title contender. Spurs have been the closest to do it but even if they won one title, they were hardly going to be regular contenders. It’ll just be Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, then the rest.

The fact that Liverpool haven't won the league for 30 years kind of disputes your entire argument.

The fact that Liverpool haven't won the league for 30 years kind of disputes your entire argument.

Liverpool still had that built in fan base both domestically and internationally thanks to the 70s/80s, plus those trophy winning teams under Houllier and Rafa.  The Americans they have currently were just the first ones who had the nouse and the ability to tap into that properly and get the commercial side of things in order, but even when they were run by morons they were still among the richest clubs.

We could've been one of the clubs benefiting from FFP as well - we had a 15 year head start on Spurs, but the latter stages of the Halls/Sheppards hobbled us and Ashley put a bullet in the head of that ever happening.

If Man City and Chelsea hasn’t spent to get where they are, there’s a good chance they’d have won a few more in that time which proves my theory correct.

Staveley lowballed originally as there was a real chance of relegation at the time and her bids reflected that:

£250m cash no clauses.

£300m - £200m paid up front and 2 X £50m to be laid later, but not payable if relegated.

£350m - various relegation and future success clauses. Can't remember split.

Not saying Staveley was wrong to offer that, it was probably fair due to the risk but can understand why Ashley rejected and as we're now talking £350m cash buy, looks like his gamble paid off (if he were to actually sell of course  :lol:)

You can still spend your way to the top of football. You can spend your way to the top of anywhere. I'm amazed that City have even received a punishment to be honest. I thought they'd be keeping the right people sweet. PSG are obviously keeping up with the cheques.

If the Saudi government buy a club - us or anyone else - they'll be abe to do whatever the hell they want. They'll violate FFP for fun.

Liverpool have had some brilliant results from good scouting as well  the money they have made on transfers is incredible, Sterling, Suarez, coutinho, torres, benteke brought in over 300 million 

Liverpool have had some brilliant results from good scouting as well  the money they have made on transfers is incredible, Sterling, Suarez, coutinho, torres, benteke brought in over 300 million 

They spent around 100m getting those 5 players in though, and have spent over 30m on at least 10 different players, including a 53m, a 56m, a 75m. They’re certainly not scouting geniuses- most of the time, they just pay the going rate. For every transfer success they have, they also have Aquilani, Keane, Markovic, Downing, etc etc where they’ve spent big money and received little in return.

Liverpool’s transfer hits just happen to have developed into some of the best players in the world and are able to consistently perform at every stage. That’s the difference. They couple that with a world class manager and the ground swell picks up. Add in they don’t settle and continue to push.

It’s about time people stop pointing fingers and just accept it for what it is. Liverpool were purchased by highly intelligent and ambitious people and over several years they’ve learned from their mistakes, built up incredible revenue streams to fund investment on and off pitch and are fully deserved in where they are today. Simple as that.