List of 'incidents' from Brucey and the regime

Marko NUFC

Hi NO,

We need to keep a log of all these little incidents.  Will be quite the list come the end of his tenure.

Prompted by the fellow member David Edgar[/member] comment I would like to create/update a list of all little stuff/incidents that are connected to Bruce or the regime

Here is the list that we can keep updating by each round of Newcastle matches to have an overview of all the stuff we are served:

Back in 2009 when he was Sunderland boss, Bruce said:

"Managing Newcastle has never been my dream. This opportunity at Sunderland has everything I want – the infrastructure, the fanbase, an ambitious chairman and an ambitious new owner.

“I don’t need anything else – I have everything here. Everything you look for as a manager is here at Sunderland.”

• PL 1: Newcastle - Arsenal 0:1
    • Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley 'accusing' Rafa Benitez for his departure in order to mislead the fans in match programme before the match: ‘…let’s be clear, he moved to China for money. The offer he received was too tempting.'
    • Steve Bruce confirms midfielder Ki was fit but was not among subs because he needed four defenders on the bench as cover for Dummett (who had a knock) & Lascelles (who wasn't feeling well). It left NUFC short in midfield after Shelvey injury & Longstaff withdrawal.
    • Jetro Willems, a left-back, replaces Jonjo Shelvey and goes into central midfield, much to Steve Bruce's annoyance. "What the f*** is happening?" screams the NUFC boss, before eventually shifting Willems to left-wing back and moving Matt Ritchie infield.

After Newcastle - Arsenal match

• Rafa hits back at accusations in Charnley's prematch programme:
    "After three years of unfulfilled promises, I didn’t trust them."
    https://theathletic.com/1132481/2019/08/13/benitez-exclusive-the-real-story-of-my-newcastle-exit/?redirected=1
    "I tried to do my best every day, even staying when we went down to the Championship and saying no to other offers — bigger offers than the one I recently accepted with Dalian Yifang, by the way,” he wrote.
    "When we finished 10th in the Premier League in our first season back, all players and staff were paid a bonus — aside from my coaching team," Benitez revealed. "That felt like a punishment for me not signing an extension."
    "If I was only interested in moving ‘for money’, as Charnley stated, I could have done it much earlier."
    “They told me they didn’t want to invest in the academy or the training ground — if they like, I can explain the reason why Mike Ashley refused to do that.

• Charnley hits back again at Rafa:
    “What we have said is it is about priorities. There is a pot of money. Where is the greater need? At this time it’s on field."
    “It’s not unreasonable, the pot of money can only go so far. You go and spend it on the training ground, it means there is less to spend on the team."
    “Spend it on the academy, there is less to spend on the team; spend too much on wages, there’s less to spend on the team."
    "“Does it mean at some point in time we would like to update the training ground? Absolutely, yes.
    “Our pitches are very good, our gym is perfectly adequate and functional. Do we have a swimming pool or water facilities? No. Would we like to have it at some stage? Absolutely."

Pre-match Norwich-Newcastle

• Steve Bruce on putting Jetro in wrong position:
    “I put Jetro on in midfield where he played for Frankfurt.
    “Then I thought it was unfair, and I switched him quickly.
    “We made a mistake. You make a mistake in the Premier League.”
    even though he was shouting at that time "What the f... is happening?"

• Steve Bruce on Rafa's comments:
    “I have not seen them, I don’t take much notice.
    “Rafa is an experienced coach.
    “Everybody was disappointed with the way he left.
    “He’s a very good manager who did well and a lot of people are upset.
    “He’s gone to China and it’s time to move on.”

• Brucey hopes we can "nick" a result against the newly promoted Norwich.

PL 2: Norwich - Newcastle 3:1

• Steve Bruce: "I can't question the desire. Nobody was not trying. Maybe we got caught up in Norwich's first home game. We just didn't do enough."

• Steve Bruce: "We worked on once the ball is turned over that we get our shape quickly. We should have scored two chances but when you aren't playing well..."

• Bruce on Longstaff why he started on the bench: "I am trying to protect the lad. He has had a wonderful rise, we have to protect him as he had a serious injury."
  • Steve Bruce: "We had a couple of wonderful chances that may have gave us a spark. It may have given everybody a lift and it won't mask the result."
  • Steve Bruce: "The answers lie within. We will look at things on Monday. We know we can do better."
  • Newcastle manager Steve Bruce speaking to BBC's Match of the Day: "It was a very difficult afternoon. I knew it was going to be difficult. Norwich had their tails up with it being their first Premier League game at home.
    "The whole display with and without the ball was not the level required.
    On taking the Newcastle job: "I never expected this job to be easy. I only walked in four weeks ago. I'll roll up my sleeves because there's plenty of work to be done."

• Newcastle's Jonjo Shelvey showing 'ambition' after 2 games into the season:
    "Our objective is to stay up. The Premier League is getting harder and harder every season."

Week after Norwich game

Pre-match Tottenham-Newcastle

• Bruce: “I’m sure other manager’s teams didn’t play well last weekend either.
    After two games there is a so-called mini crisis. Everything is over sensationalised. There’s always a storm in Newcastle. At the minute we’re in one.
    The only way I can shut a few people up is by getting results. The buck stops with me.”

• On Chopra comments: “The Michael Chopra thing was blown out of all proportion. It’s laughable, really.
    “I’m just surprised that people take any attention of him. Some of the stuff is just fabricated and lies.
    “When it’s like that, you think why is that making national headlines – which is total rubbish.”
    "You all know why he is on the radio. Newcastle legend? Played 20 times for the club. Jesus! Give me some sort of creedence. If it's Alan Shearer, yes, c'mon, bring it on."
    https://talksport.com/football/591352/steve-bruce-press-conference-newcastle-critics-sean-longstaff-tottenham/

• On his team vs Tottenham: “We may tinker a bit and change a couple of things. It’s too early to change formations.

PL 3: Tottenham - Newcastle 0:1

• Steve Bruce on criticism in the last weeks:
    "We have tried to quieten the storm. After two games, it's been hard to get that criticism. I hope that gives us a little a bit of time," Bruce said.
    "It is only the first win but we have seen some big performances today."
    "The only way we can respond to criticism is like that.
    "We have had a tough week so we have had to respond in the right way and thankfully the players have.
    "I mean, to say I 'cannot even do a warm-up' is mad. I have managed 900-odd games and over the years you would think there would be some sort of respect.
    "I go back to the fact that whoever took over from Rafa Benitez was going to get the abuse. I hope that is a line in the sand."

Pre-match League Cup LCFC-NUFC

• Steve Bruce on Saint-Maximin why he was selected to first team after injury and then got injured again: “It wasn’t a gamble to play ASM (at Spurs), he trained all week.
  • “We always knew this was going to be a tough week. If we can get through in the cup and take something against Watford it will have been a good week.
  • Bruce on giving a cup a go“We have experienced players behind us still so we hope to give the cup a good go.”
  • Steve Bruce on a cup ambition “If Hull are capable of getting to cup final and maintaining Premier League status then surely a club like this can. Now got a squad of 25 players which we named - can’t put 4/5 in which is disappointing for me. Have got a squad capable and big enough to make changes.”
    https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-press-conference-live-16818241
  • Steve Bruce on SIX players injured ahead of Leicester cup match:
    "The exertions of Sunday have affected some, a lot had a difficult pre-season, while some are coming back.
    "Lascelles is a doubt with a calf problem. Almiron is his ankle. Joelinton his groin.
    "We have to assess them. But I'll pick a team that I think can get through."
    https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-six-players-struggling-16820413

LC 2: Newcastle-Leicester 1:1 (2:4 penalties)

• Steve Bruce on THREE more injured players:
    “It was difficult with the problems we had.
    “I was forced to make the changes, we didn’t want to do it and we’ve lost three tonight.
    “The mess Matt Ritchie’s in - it was horror challenge. When I see the mess on his leg.Jetro has a hamstring injury and Emil Krafth has a thigh injury.
    “We’re disappointed to go out but we did everything we can.”

Pre-match Newcastle-Watford

• Jonjo Shelvey: "'We've had that instilled in us with Rafa, that formation, and the gaffer has picked up on it and it seems to be working." - omitted line by journalist Luke Edwards
  • Steve Bruce claims he just seen Yedlin for the first time even though there were pictures of him training with Bruce in pre-season:
    “Yedlin trained yesterday, the first time I’ve seen him train, so one or two are starting to edge back a little bit, so hopefully we can get them all back."
    https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/ritchie-set-to-be-out-for-two-months-says-bruce/
    Yedlin seen in training on offical NUFC pictures from beginning of August: Now they will work with the rest of the squad throughout the week ahead of Sunday's first Premier League game of the season against Arsenal. Meanwhile, DeAndre Yedlin and Achraf Lazaar were back in training - Yedlin underwent groin surgery over the summer while Lazaar has recovered from a knock.
    https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/galleries/toon-in-training-jetro-willems-and-allan-saint-maximins-first-session/

PL 4: Newcastle-Watford 1:1 [\b]

If anyone finds more interesting stuff write to me so I can put it here on the list.

If Dummett was carrying a knock why not play Clark or Fed, and why not leave Muto or ASM off the bench for Ki.

None of what he says makes any sense, none whatsoever.

Reminds of that Pardew game when he played Ameobi on the wing, after Demba was sold wasn't it ? Claiming we set up a certain way and we couldn't change it, yet 20 minutes into the game we changed anyhoo  :lol:

I put this in the Bruce thread, but I think it's worth noting the sheer cluelessness of the words that tumble out of his mouth.

Bruce: you have to apply yourself better than what we did today.

Also Bruce: I can't question the desire. Nobody was not trying.

Bruce: We will look at things on Monday

Also Bruce: Come in for training on Sunday, boys (not a direct quote)

Utter charlatan who blurts out whatever worthless, hypocritical, contradictory nonsense is troubling his mind.

You want complete contradictins from the past too?

"Managing Newcastle has never been my dream. This opportunity at Sunderland has everything I want – the infrastructure, the fanbase, an ambitious chairman and an ambitious new owner.

“I don’t need anything else – I have everything here. Everything you look for as a manager is here at Sunderland.”

You want complete contradictins from the past too?

Added on top!