Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Parish Crystal Penalty F.C. chairman is “Worried” there might be even more penalties next season due to the handball rule :spit:

What so everyone else might get as many as you always do Steve? :azn:

Sounds like a man that is worried about a more even playing field next season haha.

There are no "bigger moments" in football. A foul not given 2 minutes ago in the centre circle is as big a moment as any if it leads to a goal. Every kick affects every other.

That's just pedantic. There are numerous sports where the replay is integrated well and it's not used for everything.

Football should have got rid of the 90 minute continuous clock ages ago and instead use a 60 minute clock that would stop whenever the ball is not in play. Would get rid of so much time wasting and unnecessary controversy. People also wouldn't be so much against VAR for stopping the play for a minute or two.

What other sports is it used in that are as fluid as football?

What part of this statement can possibly be argued with?

"When a goal is ruled out for offside by VAR but another goal is allowed because the contravention of a law happened in a phase not checked by VAR, the game’s result is actually distorted more by the technology, not made more correct. It is, in effect, an inherently contradictory model unless it is used for all decisions wherever and whenever they happen on the pitch or in the game, just to make sure they are right because any mistakes at all will affect the game. It cannot be otherwise."

Getting rid of the clock is a fucking daft idea as well, would encourage shithouse behaviour but without the current sanction of a "timewasting" card. I don't understand all these people who seem to hate football as it has existed for over a hundred years, absolutely desperate to change the rules fundamentally to suit the way they want the game to be, really weird.

Rugby league.

Fucking Rugby League. :lol: A game where the teams take turns to attack and defend is "as fluid as football." Must be why it's so popular. I'm off to bed.

Me when we get over 10+ penalties next season like Crystal Palace always get every season to win matches :fwap:

Also me when we get the amount of penalties Bournemouth and Palace get to win matches :fwap:

Also me when the opposition get more Red cards against us than they have since 2013(1) :fwap:

Bring VAR on man at least we’ll finally get more penalties and the opposition will get more Red cards than they usually do every season.

Bring it on :indi:

I don't understand all these people who seem to hate football as it has existed for over a hundred years, absolutely desperate to change the rules fundamentally to suit the way they want the game to be, really weird.

Because trying to improve something doesn't mean you hated it. :lol:

Rugby league.

f***ing Rugby League. :lol: A game where the teams take turns to attack and defend is "as fluid as football." Must be why it's so popular. I'm off to bed.

Ball (egg) is probably in play more than football.

Oh I get it now, you mentioned Newcastle United because everyone hates the club and don't give us any penalties. Yes we should definitely change the game forever because of your bizarre paranoia.

What if the people in your little cupboard hate NUFC too? Why wouldn't they?

Oh I get it now, you mentioned Newcastle United because everyone hates the club and don't give us any penalties. Yes we should definitely change the game forever because of your bizarre paranoia.

Next season with VAR we will get more penalties and the opposition will get more Red cards than the last 2 seasons put together.

You can quote me on it :thup:

There are no "bigger moments" in football. A foul not given 2 minutes ago in the centre circle is as big a moment as any if it leads to a goal. Every kick affects every other.

That's just pedantic. There are numerous sports where the replay is integrated well and it's not used for everything.

Football should have got rid of the 90 minute continuous clock ages ago and instead use a 60 minute clock that would stop whenever the ball is not in play. Would get rid of so much time wasting and unnecessary controversy. People also wouldn't be so much against VAR for stopping the play for a minute or two.

:thup: It's about time they introduced another ball to the field, too. And walls.

:lol:

Love the theory of VAR.

Cannot see a version of it that I think would be acceptable in the game. It actively detracts from the enjoyment of the game. Right decision or not. Which is often still debatable.

Technology needs to come a long way for me not to hate it. The only thing I think they could feasibly do anytime soon is have offside be adjudged by a robot lino. Other than that, nee chance VAR can be implemented in a manner that isn't tiresome as fuck.

Next season with VAR we will get more penalties and the opposition will get more Red cards than the last 2 seasons put together.

I think discussing a core rule change to the game with people whose main criteria is whether it specifically benefits their team or not is one of the more pointless exchanges I've had on here in fifteen years. Might as well discuss whether or not we should automatically disallow any goal scored past a Slovakian goalkeeper.

:thup: It's about time they introduced another ball to the field, too. And walls.

https://talksport.com/football/315919/average-ball-play-time-each-premier-league-side-201718-season-171127263506/

:lol: Tell me one positive thing about the current 90 minute continuous clock that isn't "that's how they decided it to be in the 1880s". I also have trouble seeing how it would encourage shithousery.

I really love wondering about how much added time there will be and at which point the ref decides to blow the whistle, then complain about it in the match thread. Part of the charm of the game.

Immediately assert that people who would just like to see fewer refereeing errors are somehow being unpoetic and also in favor of VAR of every second of the game. It's no more "the logical conclusion" to being in favor of VAR than saying the death penalty for shoplifting is the logical conclusion for people who want to see crime punished. :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40993250

A 90-minute match but only 47 minutes and 40 seconds of actual football.

At Turf Moor on Saturday, Burnley and West Brom played out a game in which the ball was in play for only 160 seconds more than it was out.

Though these are early days, no Premier League match so far this season has seen less action.

Two months ago, football's lawmakers revealed they were considering scrapping 45-minute halves, instead introducing two periods of 30 minutes, during which the clock would be stopped every time the ball went out.

The proposal, the International Football Association Board said, was one of a number of options to deter football's "negativities".

So would the rule have benefited supporters at Premier League matches so far this season? In a word, yes.

Of 19 top-flight games across the opening two weekends of the campaign, the ball has been in play for more than an hour in only two of them.

And no game has featured more than 61 minutes of play.

I think discussing a core rule change to the game with people whose main criteria is whether it specifically benefits their team or not is one of the more pointless exchanges I've had on here in fifteen years. Might as well discuss whether or not we should automatically disallow any goal scored past a Slovakian goalkeeper.

No disallowing it becuase they saw they had their arms(Boly) around his neck will be nice though :thup:

You know giving the Ref the best possible view to decide if it was a fair goal or not?

Wonder why Nuno Santo doesn’t want VAR :shifty:

I like the idea of VAR. We've got a great game administered by corrupt organisations and poor officials.

The problem is VAR is administered by the same corrupt organisations and poor officials. With regards to Newcastle, let's wait and see. This could go either way.

No disallowing it becuase they saw they had their arms(Boly) around his neck will be nice though :thup:

You know giving the Ref the best possible view to decide if it was a fair goal or not?

Wonder why Nuno Santo doesn’t want VAR :shifty:

Didn' all the experts pundits say it was a goal, that Dubs was at fault?

The problem with VAR is the timing - like in the England v Holland game it takes too long to reach these decisions, and the procedure is currently communicated very poorly to spectators in the stadium and the viewers at home (we never got a full replay of the actual incident until after full time). This along with the very hardline handball directives that will be in play next season will mean there'll be a lot of penalties given (like in the UCL final) that are very harsh (but by the letter of the law are handballs). It'll cause its fair share of drama, I just hope it doesn't leave a sour taste in the mouth for everyone.

The NBA is frenetic, end to end and pretty fluid as a sport, and they use video to consult on important calls. I've been watching almost every single game of the playoffs and hasn't impeded my or any other fans' enjoyment, as far as I know. Of course, I don't know the history about how this was introduced, implemented, etc., maybe some other basketball followers can chime in.

I'm fully #TeamVAR anyways as I've been used to it in other sports I watched growing up (tennis, cricket, etc.), but I do understand some of the reservations with how it's going to be rolled out in football -- there also doesn't seem to be a coherent plan around it, in typical FA, UEFA, FIFA fashion. The initial pains will be rough but if they're willing to listen and change the process based on fans' and experts' advice as it's slowly implemented, I can see it evolving into a seamless thing in a few years.

Of course, nothing will get the naysayers on-side, and that's okay too.