Tony Green

Tooj

He Only Played 35 Games - But He Became A Geordie Legend!

Joe Harvey once said "Tony Green is the best signing I ever made". Who can argue with the great man?

He was signed from Blackpool for £150,000 (including the transfer of Keith Dyson), and he only made 35 appearances for Newcastle before injury caused a tragic end to such a rare talent .

Injury at Crystal Palace in 1972, when he was only 27, robbed him of a brilliant career.

Glasgow-born, he won 6 caps and would have won scores more but for that tackle from Mel Blyth.

Tony Green: "I get back maybe once a year and it's nice - it probably wouldn't happen anywhere else but the north east.

"If I'm coming back from Newcastle and get to the M6, my wife will say 'You're a normal person now'. It's lovely, and I always enjoy coming back.

"I'm just a supporter now, waiting for something better to happen than in the previous years. I follow Celtic, Blackpool and Newcastle, but probably Newcastle more than anyone else.

"In a way, I'm glad that if I had to finish like I did, I did it at Newcastle. I had a chance to play for a big club every week, in front of big crowds.

"You can't regret that. I'd have loved to have played on, but if you keep looking back it would drive you crackers.

"They (Newcastle) lost to Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal in cup finals, but if I'm being honest, they never looked as though they were going to win.

"They also finished second in the league under Kevin Keegan.

"You just never know with Newcastle, and I hope the regime there gets it right. You keep looking on in hope.

"When you had Terry McDermott and 'Jinky' Jimmy Smith the place was buzzing for a while. The football was terrific.

"Then there was the period with Ginola and Ferdinand, which was probably as good as it's been.

"Football changes so often, and I just hope Kevin Keegan is still in touch.

"The top four have left the rest behind, and it's a massive thing to break into, but if anybody has a chance of doing that, then it's probably Keegan.

"He understands what the north east is all about, and I don't think the previous managers did. He's got more of an understanding.

"They've bought a lot of players who you thought were very good, but a lot of signings haven't come off, and if Keegan can buy right, then they have the chance to be there or thereabouts."

From what everyone says who has seen the man, one of the best we've ever had dispite his unfortunate amount lack of games for us.  :thup:

One of the best midfield players I have ever seen and certainly, the best player I have seen in Newcastle colours.......by a country mile

Absolutely right - I am convinced that we wouldn't have lost the 74 Cup Final - or at least, made more of a fight of it - had Green not been injured the previous year...his acceleration over the first 5 yards and terrific right foot were amazing. What a player.

Saw his debut and most games he played thereafter, as well as playing for Scotland at Wembley when he was at Blackpool. Scotland were captained by Bobby Moncur that day.

Had his own chant - "He's here he's there, he's every ferking where Tony Green, Tony Green"

Dyson who went the to Blackpool  in the transfer was a canny forward and also ended up as a teacher post football.

Green was superb, but not the best player I've seen in a B&W shirt, for me that would be Gazza followed by Beardsley next.

Saw his debut and most games he played thereafter, as well as playing for Scotland at Wembley when he was at Blackpool. Scotland were captained by Bobby Moncur that day.

Had his own chant - "He's here he's there, he's every ferking where Tony Green, Tony Green"

Dyson who went the to Blackpool  in the transfer was a canny forward and also ended up as a teacher post football.

Green was superb, but not the best player I've seen in a B&W shirt, for me that would be Gazza followed by Beardsley next.

Pedro's the best I've seen, but I am only a whipper snapper at 23.  :cheesy:

Guest Brazilianbob

For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play.  I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining.  Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down.  The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss.  Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal.  The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally.    The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up.  One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.

One of the best players ever for us, I was at Crystal Palace the day he was injured, no tackle involved, he just turned and  then dropped to the ground in agony. No one anywhere near him.

Guest Wally_McFool

The nearest I have ever seen to Tony Green is (pardon my french) Juninho of Middlesbrough. Both of them had a long striding running style  and were skilful and quick.

The shame about Tony Green is that his injury would only put you out for a few months now instead of knacking your career.

For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play.  I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining.  Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down.  The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss.  Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal.  The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally.    The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up.  One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.

I'd like to have seen that, moment of pure magic.

For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play.   I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining.  Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down.  The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss.  Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal.  The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally.    The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up.  One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.

I'd agree with that.

Before the influx of foreign superstars, he was at the top of the list of players I would have loved to have seen in a Spurs shirt.

For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play.   I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining.  Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down.  The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss.  Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal.  The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally.    The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up.  One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.

I'd agree with that.

Before the influx of foreign superstars, he was at the top of the list of players I would have loved to have seen in a Spurs shirt.

Surprised you didnt sign him,once we had declared our intentions tbh.

I'd agree with that.

With comments like that, it's a fair bet that you never saw him live.  If you had, you might have made a more meaningful contribution.  Newcastle could do with someone of Green's ability now.

Sorry but it was a bit of a stupid comment. Can't say I have seen a whole lot of footage of Green but if he is as good as most have said then its obvious Newcastle could do with a player like that, as most clubs could.

Sorry but it was a bit of a stupid comment. Can't say I have seen a whole lot of footage of Green but if he is as good as most have said then its obvious Newcastle could do with a player like that, as most clubs could.

was more aimed at billytray mate.

I'd agree with that.

With comments like that, it's a fair bet that you never saw him live.  If you had, you might have made a more meaningful contribution.  Newcastle could do with someone of Green's ability now.

Saw him play for the Tangerines tbh.Green and Hutchison in the same side iirc.Incidentally,i saw Martin Jol play live,in the flesh also.coincidentally,he didnt contribute much,either for WBA or Coventry.Aaaah now i see it!

Cheers Gej,you saw it as i did.