Lee Charnley

Dave

Apparantley Pardew was "the right man".

"During the difficult periods our focus was on supporting Alan. I hope people are starting to realise now that when we feel we have the right person in that position, indeed any position, our focus is on supporting them in order that together we can ride through the rough periods that, inevitably, come."

...which really isn't a surprise as Charnley loves good football and dignity.

"For me, style of play is important. How they conduct themselves is also important as the head coach will play a key part in how the club is perceived through his conduct on and off the field."

This statement looks designed to set out a clear template on the new manager 's remit before the appointment is made.

It may be that a potential new manager could be willing to work under the club system, but wants it clear on the outset where each responsibility falls.

Apparantley Pardew was "the right man".

"During the difficult periods our focus was on supporting Alan. I hope people are starting to realise now that when we feel we have the right person in that position, indeed any position, our focus is on supporting them in order that together we can ride through the rough periods that, inevitably, come."

...which really isn't a surprise as Charnley loves good football and dignity.

"For me, style of play is important. How they conduct themselves is also important as the head coach will play a key part in how the club is perceived through his conduct on and off the field."

Look at it through the eyes of a potential new employee, they would want support and stability to help them do their job, and so it should be until the day they are sacked. But at least if they are sacked the senior management would have tried to help them, at least initially.

Overall, more positivity than negativity in that, although actions are better than words.

There are bower now some key KPIs that Charnley has accepted responsibility for and can from now on be judged on that basis.

no future in ashley/charnleys dreaming.

I used to think football was about supporting your local city against its rivals, entertainment and trying to win stuff. Clearly had it all wrong - obviously it is about how much money we generate for the owner. Silly me.

what's the longest anyone can remember a PL club taking to appoint either a new manager or confirming a caretaker to the end of the season etc.?

Newcastle United, 2014/15 season. I remember it well, completely took the piss.

From Nufc.com

Talking head

Three weeks into the search for a new Newcastle United manager/coach/scapegoat, club MD Lee Charnley has broken his silence in a question and answer session with the Evening Chronicle that's reproduced online here

Until this point, Charnley followed a similar path to owner Mike Ashley, with club-published minutes from fans forums the sole output from anyone in an executive role at SJP since Derek Llambias quit in June 2013.

Fourteen questions and fourteen answers later though, it's a struggle to find anything new to chew over - with nothing of consequence regarding the vacant position, other than the equivalent of a "work in progress" sign.

Certainly anyone looking to be reinvigorated for the remainder of this season - or for a reason not to post off that direct debit cancellation - will be disappointed. A mere 16 games to go?, why the season's almost over!

An apparent retread of the job description devised for Alan Pardew following the departure of Chris Hughton is aired, while there's no attempt made to communicate on squad specifics eg the status of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Jonas Gutierrez, Facundo Ferryra, Papiss Cisse etc.

In that regard, this Q & A differs from the February 2013 Chronicle one with Llambias, when he commented on specific players including Loic Remy and Demba Ba.

"I can’t envisage any player we want to retain leaving" (in January), if as we know, every player is for sale at the right price, then retaining them is the very last thing they'll do if the asking price is met.

And as for a line about being "difficult sellers", the loss of Yohan Cabaye to PSG was hardly complicated - except for the bit about JFK screwing up the transfer fee....

The issue of how a coach conducts themselves is flagged up as important, yet he claims nothing but total support for Pardew throughout his time in charge - despite the fact he felt it necessary to fine the guy £100K and issue a formal warning over his touchline antics at Hull.

The thorny issue of communication is also revisited, with an admission that the apologist role handed to Pardew affected his chances of winning over the fanbase.

But a vow to look at how the club communicates is in reality no different to comments from his predecessor given to the Chronicle in February 2009 - minus the apology then for failing to keep supporters informed.

Paranoia over saying anything that can be used against him (remember that Llambias's declared intention in 2009 was to emulate Aston Villa) makes this 2015 attempt mostly meaningless. Speaking but not speaking.

The MD will be judged on the quality of his appointment and whether the managerial structure that he advocates succeeds in the eyes of supporters.

Everything else - including what publishing the Q & A says about the current relationship between the club and the Chronicle - is window dressing.

PS: Charnley on Pardew:

"....we moved on significantly as a club during his four years, on and off the field."

December 2010, 11th in the Premier League

January 2015. 11th in the Premier League

pretty much sums it all up.

what's the longest anyone can remember a PL club taking to appoint either a new manager or confirming a caretaker to the end of the season etc.?

I think I read in the last week that it was about 12 days and we were already at 18 days at that point.

I don't agree that you can't believe a word of that. I don't see anything in there that is a stretch the imagination. The long term focus, the structure, the opting out of buying in January are all evident in their actions. I'm not sure he says anything that I don't think that's an outright lie there, I'll reread it again later, but I can't think of anything at first glance.

I suggest you direct your attention to this section:

ARE YOU GOING TO END UP WITH A YES MAN?

I’m confident at the end of this process the individual will be best suited for what we’re looking for and can work within the structure we have. I don’t think anything works and you’re never going to move forward if you have ‘yes’ people in key positions.

I know people label me as someone who says yes all the time but believe me, if I said yes to everything suggested I wouldn’t last very long. It doesn’t work that way. They have to challenge me, I have to challenge Mike over things – that is how management works. That’s what I expect from all of my heads of department.

But do I want someone in who will continually try to change our strategy or put obstacles in our way? Clearly not. They will have to aligned with what we are doing.

Outright lies. Enormous stretching of the imagination. Charnley says he doesn't want a yes man, but that the right person will be one who says "yes" to the Ashley doctrine, who says "yes" to his proscribed media role and who says "yes" to Carr's signings.

You could argue that it's all true in manager-speak, but history says that the upper echelons will say whatever it takes to appease the fans and that they have admitted openly that public statements are no more than PR exercises. Being a Newastle United fan these days requires critical literacy and a sound understanding of the language of persuasion.

I'm not sure. he says he wants someone to buy into their philosophy and show a united front not question the club policy in public.there is nothing wrong with that. We don't know how Pardew was behind the scenes we presume he was a yes man but we don't truly know if he questioned club policy or process in private. One of the reasons they gave for sacking Hughton was that he was too much of a push over and just accepted things.

I think the picture he paints could entirely true it could also be a complete lie, but we don't know for sure, nor will we likely ever know. He is absolutely right though that surounding yourselves with yes men will get you nowhere in business, Ashley is a multi billionaire he could never have gotten that successful in business by recruiting yes men all the time, maybe NUFC is his exemption who knows.

I'm quite baffled by your failure to see through the bullshit here afar, taking everything at face value without looking at the facts. Quite clearly from that statement Lee Charnley is as much a yes man as you could imagine. I know LLambias suggested that Hughton was sacked because he was too soft ("you don't know how horrible we can be"), but in reality he DID challenge their view that some of the more important players in the dressing room, the ones that made that relegation/promotion team what it was (such as Kevin Nolan and to a lesser extent Joey Barton and Andy Carroll) were expendable and held too much power. Hughton challenged them much more than Pardew ever did, they didn't like it, and he got the boot.

Guest Roger Kint

Parkes at Blackburn did over two months before Sven agreed to go(and then told them to fuck off and Woy couldnt go til the Summer so he caretakered on for 6 months after too)

Staurt Gray did a few months at Southamton too before they bothered to appoint a manager. Imagine David Pleat has minced about Spurs aimlessly for a while at some point too

From Nufc.com

Talking head

Three weeks into the search for a new Newcastle United manager/coach/scapegoat, club MD Lee Charnley has broken his silence in a question and answer session with the Evening Chronicle that's reproduced online here

Until this point, Charnley followed a similar path to owner Mike Ashley, with club-published minutes from fans forums the sole output from anyone in an executive role at SJP since Derek Llambias quit in June 2013.

Fourteen questions and fourteen answers later though, it's a struggle to find anything new to chew over - with nothing of consequence regarding the vacant position, other than the equivalent of a "work in progress" sign.

Certainly anyone looking to be reinvigorated for the remainder of this season - or for a reason not to post off that direct debit cancellation - will be disappointed. A mere 16 games to go?, why the season's almost over!

An apparent retread of the job description devised for Alan Pardew following the departure of Chris Hughton is aired, while there's no attempt made to communicate on squad specifics eg the status of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Jonas Gutierrez, Facundo Ferryra, Papiss Cisse etc.

In that regard, this Q & A differs from the February 2013 Chronicle one with Llambias, when he commented on specific players including Loic Remy and Demba Ba.

"I can’t envisage any player we want to retain leaving" (in January), if as we know, every player is for sale at the right price, then retaining them is the very last thing they'll do if the asking price is met.

And as for a line about being "difficult sellers", the loss of Yohan Cabaye to PSG was hardly complicated - except for the bit about JFK screwing up the transfer fee....

The issue of how a coach conducts themselves is flagged up as important, yet he claims nothing but total support for Pardew throughout his time in charge - despite the fact he felt it necessary to fine the guy £100K and issue a formal warning over his touchline antics at Hull.

The thorny issue of communication is also revisited, with an admission that the apologist role handed to Pardew affected his chances of winning over the fanbase.

But a vow to look at how the club communicates is in reality no different to comments from his predecessor given to the Chronicle in February 2009 - minus the apology then for failing to keep supporters informed.

Paranoia over saying anything that can be used against him (remember that Llambias's declared intention in 2009 was to emulate Aston Villa) makes this 2015 attempt mostly meaningless. Speaking but not speaking.

The MD will be judged on the quality of his appointment and whether the managerial structure that he advocates succeeds in the eyes of supporters.

Everything else - including what publishing the Q & A says about the current relationship between the club and the Chronicle - is window dressing.

PS: Charnley on Pardew:

"....we moved on significantly as a club during his four years, on and off the field."

December 2010, 11th in the Premier League

January 2015. 11th in the Premier League

pretty much sums it all up.

Best article they've had up in a good while.

Guest Roger Kint

Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

I just cannot get my head around the fact that people actually believe any of the statement.

Dunno, i firmly believe we wont be signing anyone

"Contrary to popular belief we don’t disregard people’s views – however our intention and focus and what we always aim to do is make decisions that we feel are in the best interests for the football club."

Can someone explain to me what he means by "football club"? I think he means in the best interest of players and staff to get their big fat pay cheques.

Would be great if he meant football club in the broader sense. If so, he wouldnt go against popular belief.

I'm not half as pessimistic about this as most on here.

We already knew all the things he has said, they are the reasons we feel the club has very little ambition. He's not lying at all, he's just stating things we already knew and basically hate about how our club is run.

In a way, I prefer it. I'm fairly happy with what he has said about their ideas for a new manager, not particularly happy about his time-scales or stance on player recruitment.

Basically, get a decent manager in and I'll start enjoying football matches again. That's mostly what this is about for me; the quality of the football. I want to enjoy watching us play again.

It's noticeable that there's no mention of even the possibility of relegation - all very well waiting until the summer to get the right man but that becomes a hell of a lot trickier if you're not in the Premier League anymore.

I'm not half as pessimistic about this as most on here.

We already knew all the things he has said, they are the reasons we feel the club has very little ambition. He's not lying at all, he's just stating things we already knew and basically hate about how our club is run.

In a way, I prefer it. I'm fairly happy with what he has said about their ideas for a new manager, not particularly happy about his time-scales or stance on player recruitment.

Basically, get a decent manager in and I'll start enjoying football matches again. That's mostly what this is about for me; the quality of the football. I want to enjoy watching us play again.

It's not so much the lies as it is the total disregard for the paying fan base and the confirmation that we indeed have no ambition.

It is one thing to come out and make these confirmations and stick to their guns, but for us to be expected to just accept them is a sign of the very, very sad times.

Overall, more positivity than negativity in that, although actions are better than words.

There are bower now some key KPIs that Charnley has accepted responsibility for and can from now on be judged on that basis.

Don't know how you can see any positivity in that - all it does is fully demonstrate that until Ashley is gone this club has no ambition full stop. I am so pleased that I stopped my season ticket last year after 40 year. And for some fans to say there is positivity in a serious of answers trying to justify the reasons for being no more than average just totally bewilders me - sad sad times.