Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was explained poorly in that article. My interpretation was that the ball is now fair game as soon as the goal kick is taken, it's just that players need to start from outside of the box.

Attacking players need to start inside the box, defenders can stand right next to the keeper and take a short pass, giving them a few seconds before they can be closed down.

• 2 weeks later...

Baffling one in the MLS just now. Atalanta were on the attack in the box, LA Galaxy player makes a tackle and clears the ball. Atalanta make another attack which comes to nothing then attack again when one of their players is obstructed and it’s an obvious penalty. The referee immediately points to the spot but wants to check with VAR, he goes to check it and the replay is showing the first incident which happened a minute earlier. The commentators think the wrong images are put up, however the replay is a feed from the referee’s VAR system and he’s slowing it down etc. It clearly shows that there was no foul, the referee points to the spot for the penalty and books the defender.

Atlanta should have had a penalty, but not for that incident.

You pay god knows what to actually turn up to an experience that now only makes any sense to anyone on television.

So true - one thing I love about football over other sports is the speed of the game.  VAR just kills it - stop/start without a clue what's going on.  And for what? We'll still get wrong decisions - that offside today - ridiculous.

Sounds class. Must be even better when the game isn’t even on TV.

But the point isn't what works on or off TV. The point is that decisions are corrected.

If it's a problem in ground, which I'm sure it is, they need to solve that with some commentary or whatever.

The box has been opened, there's no going back. You can't now wish for less accuracy it's mental.

But the point isn't what works on or off TV. The point is that decisions are corrected.

If it's a problem in ground, which I'm sure it is, they need to solve that with some commentary or whatever.

The box has been opened, there's no going back. You can't now wish for less accuracy it's mental.

Do you think every single thing that happens on the pitch should be reviewed? Every throw in, every coming together in the centre circle?

Do you think every single thing that happens on the pitch should be reviewed? Every throw in, every coming together in the centre circle?

I do not.