Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But the way it is is inherently 'flawed' but that's how the game has been for decades. VAR is meant to make the game 'bulletproof', so when they fuck up and lose someone the World Cup it's going to feel far, far worse than just a referee who missed something.

Losing a world cup because FIFA randomly decided to trial some shite system?

Much lower chance of losing due to VAR than losing due to incompetent reffing though

Maybe, but I reckon the odds will be quite low for at least one team being knocked out of the competition directly due to a negative consequence of VAR. Probably multiple.

But the way it is is inherently 'flawed' but that's how the game has been for decades. VAR is meant to make the game 'bulletproof', so when they fuck up and lose someone the World Cup it's going to feel far, far worse than just a referee who missed something.

Much lower chance of losing due to VAR than losing due to incompetent reffing though

Maybe, but I reckon the odds will be quite low for at least one team being knocked out of the competition directly due to a negative consequence of VAR. Probably multiple.

I can definitely see it kicking off if VAR fucks up in a major way at the World Cup :lol:

Not really sure why you think that. I could see teams feeling aggrieved by soft but correct decisions being made alright

Make football as a game fairer by implementing a convoluted system of correcting mistakes (righto) but only for the 0.3% of English football league clubs that already have the most money by a million miles. :lol:

Is there goalline technology in the lower leagues?

Nope. Already covered that.

Do you disagree with it then?

Not really sure why you think that. I could see teams feeling aggrieved by soft but correct decisions being made alright

Why I feel what? That there will be atleast one mistake that will cause a team to be knocked out?

If so I think it's pretty much a given, but we'll see.

I'm actually going to hoy a random figure out and say I'll drink my own piss if less than 4 teams are knocked out of the competition due to a negative consequence of VAR. Whether it be missing something for one side yet catching something for the opposition, or reversing a debatable decision that the ref had made only for the decision to still be debatable because - by the letter of the law - it's down to the referees interpretation. We now have about 10 referees watching the game each with their own interpretation of what is happening.

Why I feel what? That there will be atleast one mistake that will cause a team to be knocked out?

I'm actually going to hoy a random figure out and say I'll drink my own piss if less than 4 teams are knocked out of the competition due to a negative consequence of VAR. Whether it be missing something for one side yet catching something for the opposition, or reversing a debatable decision that the ref had made only for the decision to still be debatable because - by the letter of the law - it's down to the referees interpretation. We now have about 10 referees watching the game each with their own interpretation of what is happening.

Although I completely agree with you, need to quote that.

:lol: I'll hold you to that

Guest firetotheworks

Does negative consequence include correct decisions though? [emoji38] I don't want you wangling your way out of it.

Does negative consequence include correct decisions though? [emoji38] I don't want you wangling your way out of it.

If it was anyone but Hans I'd worry about this too but he's definitely done worse so it should be fine :lol:

No one in forum history has drank their piss on a lost wager. Meaningless.

The conservative anti-piss-drinking element here is worrying. Just because it wasn't done at all levels of the forum pyramid doesn't mean the creme de la creme can't benefit from these advances in wager making technology.

Nah correct decisions don't count.

I mean anything where after the game we can all universally agree that VAR either completely fucked up (ie if they miss Mitrovic flying elbowing Tim Cahill off the ball - yet in the same game award a penalty to Serbia) or if they overrule a contentious decision and replace it with another contentious decision (like a handball in the box where 50% of the board says it's a pen and the other 50% say it's not).

I'm not going to piss into a pint glass and drink it like, but I'd definitely piss on my hand a little bit and lick it off when I'm in the bog.

Let's meet in the middle, a shot from a deodorant lid?

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not drinking piss through my eyes like.

[emoji38]

The best thing about this is it was only you that suggested doing that.

Make football as a game fairer by implementing a convoluted system of correcting mistakes (righto) but only for the 0.3% of English football league clubs that already have the most money by a million miles. :lol:

Is there goalline technology in the lower leagues?

Nope. Already covered that.

Do you disagree with it then?

I'll give you goal-line technology, but I can just about accept that one given that it's undeniably 100% based upon fact and will never be anything but.

But aye, even that is fundamentally unfair to everyone else.

Think of it as another, better form of referee. The expectation is already there that as you climb the league pyramid the quality of officiating improves. This is just the next step of improvement. Boom. Cognitive dissonance settled.

When I grew up, a lot of times we played football we didn't even have a referee. Rules of the game remain the same, but as the game gets more professional I'd expect the refereeing to get more professional. If everything about the game was "fair" throughout all levels, that would mean the best refs should also ref kid games at schools. They don't. Because they're professionals and only ref professional games. These refs however would certainly be better at refereeing than some kids dad. The game of football has never all equal from the playground to Camp Nou, but the rules still remain the same throughout all levels even with VAR used at the highest.