Alan Shearer

Weznufc

• 2 weeks later...

He got his second 100 in 179 as well which would put him 7th on the list too. Given his injuries and some of the team's he played in at that time, unreal.

True, I reckon he missed around 2 seasons due to 4 bad injuries: it's incredible what he managed to achieve tbh

Like I said above he had around 4 serious injuries; the more I think of this element the more he amazes me; he even changed his style of play from around 2000 (Sir Bobby factor)

I know I'm biased but he is no:1 for me of you factor everything

People like Henry and Cantona come close for me, but obviously I would go for Big Al ultimately. No player has given me as much joy watching football, absolute legend.

It always felt like a bit more than a goal when Shearer scored. Only player that came close to giving me that similar feeling was when Carroll was in beast mode.

Shearer's record is incredible.

However, that particular stat is a bit misleading because he'd had getting on for three seasons playing as a starter in the English top flight, then called the "First Division", before playing in the Premiership. In other words, he had three seasons to get up to speed in games not counted as the Premiership. Foreign strikers like Aguero can arrive as pretty much the finished product, but the games in which they adjust to English football will be counted. To break Shearer's record, they'd have to start scoring on arrival.

100 goals in 124 games is an amazing run of sustained form regardless of whether those are your first 100 games or not. Basically unstoppable.

Shearer also played in an awful Kenny side along with the mess Ruud created. I also remember Shearer having a poor couple of seasons under SBR as well.

Imagine Shearer in a team that was never outside the top 5.  Man, his record would be sky high. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/7146602/Alan-Shearer-Lessons-have-not-been-learned-from-2009-the-same-mistakes-have-been-made-and-the-club-has-got-what-it-deserves.html

I AM devastated, hurt and angry that my club has been relegated again.

Memories come flooding back from 2009 and it is painful.

I am not looking forward to a season of Championship football and I really feel for the staff who are going to lose their jobs.

But there is no getting away from the fact that this has been on the cards for a long time now.

Lessons have not been learned from 2009, the same mistakes have been made and the club has got what it deserves.

It is like groundhog day.

I watched Sunderland’s 3-0 win over Everton on Wednesday night in a pub with some pals, all of us Newcastle fans.

Some of them didn’t renew their season tickets last year and I’d be surprised if the others do now.

Last time Newcastle went down their average attendance was still huge.

But I suspect that might be different this time around because the people at the top of the club are just not learning.

Under Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s sole intention has been simply to stay in the Premier League and make money.

It hasn’t been to win a trophy or get to Wembley — it has just been about avoiding relegation.

So it is ironic that when the big money comes in next season, Newcastle are not going to be there.

People at the club need to take a long hard look in the mirror and big decisions need to be made. Everyone has questions to answer, starting with the owner.

Before Newcastle’s final-day clash with West Ham last season, Ashley was asked where the responsibility lay for the club’s problems and he replied “my door”.

But he has continued to take a back seat and has instead allowed people to run his football club and make huge, huge errors.

Managing director Lee Charnley has been the man in charge of the club’s managerial appointments. They include last summer’s hiring of Steve McClaren, which did not work at all.

He compounded that mistake by only making a change with ten games to go.

Then you have chief scout Graham Carr who has overseen recruitment and that has been terrible.

Let’s not forget the players. They have not taken responsibility for themselves.

The one thing you have to do in the Championship is to fight and scrap.

So clearly this team has to be ripped up because they do not currently have the characters to do that.

I hope St James’ Park is only going to see Championship football for one season and one season only, like last time they went down, although I can’t confidently predict that will be the case.

It would be brilliant if Rafa Benitez stayed and tried to get Newcastle back up.

But like I have previously said, I would be amazed if he does because he will have offers from all around the world, including the Premier League.

If Newcastle can’t persuade him, they must get a manager in quickly to start the rebuilding process.

And they have to allow him to manage and let him to bring his own players in — not players that are under 26, that they then try to sell on to make a few quid.

I am sure Sam Allardyce will have had a little smile to himself that this has turned out how it has.

It is incredible when you think that Newcastle have now gone down twice since they sacked him in 2008.

I know Sam and he has done a fantastic job at Sunderland.

As much as it pains me to say it, you have to say well done to him and the club.

They made the decision to make a change when it needed to be made.

If only Newcastle had done the same.