General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Something doesn't sit right with me about a US company attempting to monopolise UK sports journalism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/us-upstart-the-athletic-sends-shockwaves-through-british-football-media-1.3974420?mode=amp

Mather is unequivocal about The Athletic’s ambition to revolutionise the sports journalism industry.

He told the New York Times: “We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing. We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them."

Hmm yes this definitely appears to be a noble cause worthy of my money. No thanks.

I signed up at the introductory price and after looking around a bit it definitely seems worth it. Waugh's articles are a couple of steps above what he did for the Chronicle at first glance. It's just nice with a dedicated sports magazine online without any ads that just works and loads fast and so on. Looking forward to it!

I've had it for a while for the US content and it really is excellent.

Not sure Chris Waugh is up to the standard of writer I expect from the Athletic, but let's see what he can do when not being edited by Ryder.

I've signed up, been browsing around the site and it's looks great.  They have Boxing and MMA which is an added bonus. Will get the app on my phone, and it will be useful when I'm travelling. Not convinced by Chris Waugh but will give him a chance.

I've had it for a while for the US content and it really is excellent.

Not sure Chris Waugh is up to the standard of writer I expect from the Athletic, but let's see what he can do when not being edited by Ryder.

Imagine working all those years, getting your qualifications, serving your time and then having to have your writing checked by the window licker :lol:

The Perez article is an interesting read.

“Things could be done better over there at Newcastle, but Leicester have given me the opportunity to do great things hopefully. There is big ambition. I think how football works, the way you have to look at football, that is the difference between Leicester and Newcastle. There is big motivation here to keep growing and to get better here at Leicester. I didn’t feel they had it at Newcastle."  :(

If you don’t want to pay for it. Don’t. If you don’t care to pay for sports articles across many sports from some US company. Don’t. You literally can make that decision for yourself.

I enjoy their coverage on all sports and adding the U.K. platform only serves the annual fee I pay even more. If you don’t follow any American sport or much else outside football then I can see why you’d not like it.

Caulkin is a staff writer too I saw.