Worst ever Newcastle midfielder?

Riviere or Xisco for me all day!

I know Andreas Andersson was not a big success at Newcastle either but being from Sweden I've seen him a lot through the years and he was a good striker back in Sweden, in the national team and even in champions league against some of the very top teams.

Rob McDonald is above mavis. Pingel gets a pass because he scored against Liverpool even if he didn’t know about it and it went in off the back of his head.

Not mentioned yet, but I reckon this will win - Paul someone or other, Gazza recommended him from Spurs.

Was so shit he looked completely out of place on the pitch. 

Rob McDonald is above mavis. Pingel gets a pass because he scored against Liverpool even if he didn’t know about it and it went in off the back of his head.

Not mentioned yet, but I reckon this will win - Paul someone or other, Gazza recommended him from Spurs.

Someone please put me out of my misery, It’s doing my head in

On build up and then actual ability he has got to be one of the biggest letdowns, we all thought we were going to get a world beater and just turned out that the top flight was a step too far.

On build up and then actual ability he has got to be one of the biggest letdowns, we all thought we were going to get a world beater and just turned out that the top flight was a step too far.

Maybe an example of how we’ve failed t bring players through compared to other clubs?

Paul Moran. I vote for Rob McDonald. Ronald McDonald with his clown feet would have been more effective.

Paul Moran. I vote for Rob McDonald. Ronald McDonald with his clown feet would have been more effective.

That’s him!! Fuck me he made McDonald look competent. Easily the winner.

Just realised he only played one game!! And I was there. Fuck me

Already mentioned pages back. Came on against Wolves, looked still pissed from the night before. If memory serves, Gazza took him out in the toon on the Friday night as they were both at Spurs at the time. Never seen a worse cameo in my life, looked like a fan won a competition to play for half an hour in a real game.

As alluded to in the OP, I think it's fairer to judge a player that's had a good number of games, and failed, more so than a player that hasn't. Of course, you could argue that they didn't get the number of games they did because they were quickly found out, but when the number of games is so small it just skews any real comparison as a fan. I mean, they technically could have had their career worst performances all bundled into consecutive matches :lol:

For that reason, I just don't consider people like Xisco (9 appearances), Robinson (11 appearances), Dalglish (11 appearances), Guivarch (4 appearances) etc. as a choice. Numbers are from Wiki, so may not be totally accurate but won't be too far out.

Since I've been watching football, those that have had a fair number of games and stood out for me as the worst are Joselu, Smith, Andersson and Riviere. I'm inclined to just omit Smith from consideration since most of his time for us was spent in midfield. Wasn't he already a withdrawn midfielder for Man Utd following his serious injury, prior to signing for us?

That leaves Joselu, Andersson and Riviere. In all honesty I can't really disagree with any one of them coming out on top, but my pick would be Joselu (very closely followed by Andersson). He's played the most games of the three of them, and over that number of games has looked consistently poor. He's had a few 6-7/10 performances, but it's an extreme exception rather than anything close to the norm. I also think that Rondon's performances this season all but cemented my opinion of Joselu, since the difference between the two is staggering, considering they are supposed to perform the same role.

Finally, special mention to Tomasson; I personally don't consider him for this list since he wasn't signed to be a striker, and got thrown in at the deep end coming in from a weaker division as a young player. The fact he went on to have a pretty impressive career suggests he was simply played out of position.

Already mentioned pages back. Came on against Wolves, looked still pissed from the night before. If memory serves, Gazza took him out in the toon on the Friday night as they were both at Spurs at the time. Never seen a worse cameo in my life, looked like a fan won a competition to play for half an hour in a real game.

Ah sorry, just noticed that!!

Yeah that was the legend, Gazza took him out the night before :lol:

Massively worse than the others being mentioned, had to be seen to be believed.

That was complete embarrassment, next on the list but not a forward was Wayne Fereday